What brake shoe kit do I need?

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Hey guys, I've been given two choices on the euro car parts website for brake shoe kits for my 1.2 TSI 62 plate Ibiza. My real question is what does the bore size refer to when talking about the drums (see pic s)

I know your thinking well does your car have abs or not, but it seems euro have made a big error matching up their parts number to pictures of the part, so I need to be sure by measuring and the only differences between them are the "bore size" 19mm Vs 17mm but I'm not sure of what to check when it refers to this?

Thanks
6a5ec549f077a44f07496ecf751640ee.jpg
f6e8b6b6f9d9bdd4a7c6150fb2cdfaa3.jpg

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
If you look at the rear wheel cylinders for your car, then you should be able to see that ECP lists the piston bore, which is where the 17mm or 19mm comes from, where that takes you wrt which shoe kit you need I can't say.

Although, if you are being offered one set for ABS equipped cars and one set for non ABS equipped cars, then surely the ABS equipped option should be correct - okay, we are talking about ECP here, so maybe not.

So, if I were you, I'd head across to the Pagid online parts catalogue - that source I've found, does tend to be trustworthy.

I don't think that any of this model of Ibiza was brought into Europe without having ABS fitted as standard, by this time, I think that EU had declared ABS as being a standard fit to all new cars.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Okay, I've looked on ECP again, the first kit listed by you is ECP stock 122440018 and is a complete rear brakes refurb kit, including lots more parts including a pair of wheel cylinders, hold down kits springs and glide pads, and maybe more, that kit obviously has 17mm bore wheel cylinders, why the next kit included the wheel cylinder bore size, which is quoted as being 19mm I can't say. I've never ever needed to measure the piston diameter of these wheel cylinders and if there was an issue as to now which brake shoes to use, if I replaced 17mm with 19mm or the other way round.

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
If you look at the rear wheel cylinders for your car, then you should be able to see that ECP lists the piston bore, which is where the 17mm or 19mm comes from, where that takes you wrt which shoe kit you need I can't say.

Although, if you are being offered one set for ABS equipped cars and one set for non ABS equipped cars, then surely the ABS equipped option should be correct - okay, we are talking about ECP here, so maybe not.

So, if I were you, I'd head across to the Pagid online parts catalogue - that source I've found, does tend to be trustworthy.

I don't think that any of this model of Ibiza was brought into Europe without having ABS fitted as standard, by this time, I think that EU had declared ABS as being a standard fit to all new cars.

Can you upload a link to the paid source catalogue, I had a look last night but it wasn't showing parts just info.

I basically ask this because ecp have the picture for the one mixed up compared to the part numbers so it is matter of do I follow the pics or the part number

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Okay, I've looked on ECP again, the first kit listed by you is ECP stock 122440018 and is a complete rear brakes refurb kit, including lots more parts including a pair of wheel cylinders, hold down kits springs and glide pads, and maybe more, that kit obviously has 17mm bore wheel cylinders, why the next kit included the wheel cylinder bore size, which is quoted as being 19mm I can't say. I've never ever needed to measure the piston diameter of these wheel cylinders and if there was an issue as to now which brake shoes to use, if I replaced 17mm with 19mm or the other way round.
Ok, it may not make a difference this 2mm difference in bore size (again not sure what that is but if anyone can clarify). But my worry is I've had this issue before with shocks for my Grande Punto , they sent me shocks that are made for a Corsa and the only difference was the shaft was 2mm thinner but it was causing a knock that I was unable to find until one day I noticed part numbers had changed. Im already at my wit's end with this car after many previous issues , still got the stuck race, I just don't want any more issues after.

I've done a video to clearly explain my issues:
1) ECP Parts to image mix up:

2) Pagid Parts catalogue find:

Pictures attached: 1) Is of the new brake shoes I have on which on the box is part number: 122440018 BUT the picture does not match that of the website, I believe it would have been blank picture of the other brake shoe set

Pictures 2): Are the wheel cylinders, 1st being the new one on currently, middle is original OEM and last is the cylinder from the brake kit that you can see in the brake kit picture on ecp
24feffa0bd094c920b7439c24bc1ef74.jpg
a2c8abde27f76b8cc7063ebdb286416a.jpg
055686f8e9448381a8fb81252c897d6c.jpg
93258d922815541adce3ad9e164a0795.jpg

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
As I said the 17mm and the 19mm will be the overall diameter of the pistons in these cylinders - what the implications will be having one size of the other I can't say, but I'd aim to have the same diameter on both sides, smaller diameter uses slightly less brake fluid to extend to any given size/position.

Disc brake piston sizes have been changed over the years as well I've noticed, obviously very important to know if fitting a set of new cylinder or calliper seals, but for the rest of the time, I can't say.

Edit:- sorry it is the bore of the wheel cylinder where these pistons fit into, not as I said the piston diameter! The piston diameter will obviously be slightly smaller.

Another Edit!:- as I think I said earlier, as Pagid has matched that kit to your reg, I'd trust them, if you have bought a Pagid kit from ECP you should be able to find somewhere on the box, the Pagid numbers that tie in with catalogue details., I know ECP are a bit silly and cover some numbers with their stock labelling, but even under their label, there should be the Pagid details and enough of them to tie what you have bought with some of the catalogue details/numbers.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.