Which brake fluid for FR?

Aug 11, 2020
Hi,

I have a 2018 1.4 ACT Leon FR purchased in October last year and the brake fluid is getting low (a little bit under the minimum line but no light on the dash yet) and was wondering which brake fluid is recommended/best to use and is it simply topping it up?

oilman

Forum Sponsor
Go for a DOT4, they will mix fine with the brake fluid that is in there (should already be DOT4) and yes it is a case of just topping it up.

Cheers,

Guy

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
The brake fluid should be replaced at the 3 year point in accordance with the service schedule.

Also, as a closed system, unless you have a leak, or have bled the brakes/clutch, then the low fluid is probably indicating that your brake pads have worn. Have these been checked recently for pad wear?

Reactions: Rusty2k

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Agree with the above... the car will be due a fluid change this year anyway and definitely check out the wear levels on your current pads and discs.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Go for a DOT4, they will mix fine with the brake fluid that is in there (should already be DOT4) and yes it is a case of just topping it up.

Cheers,

Guy
Would you recommend an ESP DOT 4 to work better with stability control? Or is this more a generic marketing term?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Would you recommend an ESP DOT 4 to work better with stability control? Or is this more a generic marketing term?
I think that you will find that the current VW Group fluid spec is effectively "DOT 4+" ie DOT4 but an evolution of the original DOT4 to make it suitable for ESP ect.

Some brands sell both, currently I seem to have bought in TRW ESP fluid.

oilman

Forum Sponsor
There is some marketing to it.

ESP works using the ABS (and traction control) and for most ESP/ABS systems out there regular DOT4 or DOT5.1 is perfect, it is what the system is designed to run on.

So why do we have DOT4 ESP? There is no DOT classification for the lowever viscosity DOT4+, DOT4 ESP and the DOT5.1 ESP so a car manufactuer cannot really make a system that requires these lowever viscosity fluids and nothing else, when they are not classed by the DOT and technically do not exist to them. ISO have given them a class rating of 6, over the class rating of 4 for normal DOT4 etc. The main reason for them is for extremely cold climates, where the lower viscosity will perform better especially from a cold start. So unless you are in a very, very cold climate there is no advantage to using one over a regular DOT4 or DOT5.1.

When I look at the current data for random VAG cars they are all recommending regular DOT4, ISO Class 4 even up to 2020 models as standard.

Cheers,

Guy

Reactions: Walone

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
There is some marketing to it.

ESP works using the ABS (and traction control) and for most ESP/ABS systems out there regular DOT4 or DOT5.1 is perfect, it is what the system is designed to run on.

So why do we have DOT4 ESP? There is no DOT classification for the lowever viscosity DOT4+, DOT4 ESP and the DOT5.1 ESP so a car manufactuer cannot really make a system that requires these lowever viscosity fluids and nothing else, when they are not classed by the DOT and technically do not exist to them. ISO have given them a class rating of 6, over the class rating of 4 for normal DOT4 etc. The main reason for them is for extremely cold climates, where the lower viscosity will perform better especially from a cold start. So unless you are in a very, very cold climate there is no advantage to using one over a regular DOT4 or DOT5.1.

When I look at the current data for random VAG cars they are all recommending regular DOT4, ISO Class 4 even up to 2020 models as standard.

Cheers,

Guy
Excellent, thank you.

Reactions: oilman

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I found out about by accident, it all kicked off with someone on a VW forum having had doubts about which fluid to buy as his VW dealership in London told him that VW no longer sell VW Group branded brake fluid in smallish volumes!
I accepted that at face value and checked the actual spec on my last tin of VW Group branded brake fluid, and sure enough when digging deep for specs from Pagid, ATE, TRW, Febi and Comma, they all returned products that included ESP, Pro or Plus in their product name, and most also sold to the previous "basic" DOT4 spec as well, so I just ordered up some bottles/cans of TRW DOT4 ESP as that was the same as I would have ended up buying from VW Group, it just made sense to me, and then I put the "VW Group no longer sell brake fluid in small volumes" to the test - and ended up buying another tin of VW Group latest spec fluid which I used when changing the brake fluid in my car, my wife's Polo got TRW as will probably my daughter's Leon Cupra when it is time!

Edited to change my second use of "TRW" to TRW from TWR!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Pig

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
For information:
Genuine VW PN for brake fluid:
1616667447531.png

with comment - meets vw 501 14 - what ever that spec is?
B000750M3 - with M3 denoting 1L size. M2 is 500ml

oilman

Forum Sponsor
According to my data VW501 14 is still classed as a regular DOT4.

If you have a look at VAG's own website at their VW501 14 brake fluid it mentions it has a higher boiling point over their previous fluid but does not mention anything about being a lower viscosity. Ideally I would like to see a tech data sheet for it.

Cheers,

Guy

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Quoting from a container of VW Group B 000 750 M3 bought last August from a VW parts department:- "Brake Fluid Specification to US Standard FMSS 116 DOT 4. With improved low-temperature viscosity. Ensures maximum operational safety. Is suitable for all climates. Wet boiling point 175C(347F). This product complies with 571.116 Vehicle Safety Regulations."
Before the 571.116 there is a symbol/letter that I do not recognise, like 2 staggered Ss one slightly before and displaced vertically by half the symbol/letter height.

Oct 14, 2019

Cheers,

Guy
I think that you will find that the current VW Group fluid spec is effectively "DOT 4+" ie DOT4 but an evolution of the original DOT4 to make it suitable for ESP ect.

Some brands sell both, currently I seem to have bought in TRW ESP fluid.
I'm in the same situation as the OP, my brake fluid is getting really low and looking to get some fluid from Halfords tomorrow to top it up as ordering online, I won't get it till next week and was wondering out of these 8 brake fluid from Halfords, is the Comma DOT 4 ESP Brake Fluid 1L the best one to get?

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/e...-clutch-fluid/?prefn1=type&prefv1=Brake Fluid

oilman

Forum Sponsor
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.