MK3 SEAT Leon CUPRA's owner's register

Which Leon Cupra version do you own?

• Total voters

harper2009

Feb 15, 2010
Collected my cupra on Wednesday.

I was getting plenty of pops and bangs on Wednesday but since then I’ve not had many when driving. Does the outside temperature have a part to play? As the temp has dropped here since Friday.

Reactions: K12 and Damo H

ramborobert

Apr 5, 2014
Start stop may be useful for some people but I don't think it's for me when that light turns green I wanna b off quickly lol. I don't use it for commuting tho.

ramborobert

Apr 5, 2014
The pops and bangs might be happening but if they are it's very muted inside the car. It is also pretty cold here today so not sure.

GordonMcC

Feb 8, 2017
Ayrshire, Scotland
Finally picked up the cupra today windscreen got hit by a big stone on the way home lucky it didnt crack but it chipped on the passenger side ffs. Need to do a lot more driving to get used to the dsg, the auto handbrake and the startstop. I'm not hearing a much pop crackles and bangs tho and generally getting the dsg in the right gears gonna take some getting used too. I still think i prefer a manual for the involvement but i have to say its the ultimate cruiser in comfort mode if you do alot of motorway miles especially with the 7 speed dsg. I'm totally shocked tho that on my 50 mile trip home i managed 30mpg thats amazing (for the exuberant driving).
Was your Cupra pre week 42? And is it the hatchback?

zedlor

Aug 24, 2017
Warrington
If you time it right when it’s not rush hour you can get through them all without stopping. When it was 50mph, it was about 45mph.
Apparently when you're speeding down a road with traffic lights, they'll go on red to try and slow you down. The sensors in the road detect an average speed. If you go through at the speed limit, the lights have more chance of staying in green.

Guy I work with did the speed awareness course, and that's what they told him...

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Apparently when you're speeding down a road with traffic lights, they'll go on red to try and slow you down. The sensors in the road detect an average speed. If you go through at the speed limit, the lights have more chance of staying in green.

Guy I work with did the speed awareness course, and that's what they told him...

I’d call BS on that. They set the lights up to try and allow the best flow of traffic for rush hour etc, so it would be counter productive. Easier and cheaper/profitable to just stick speed cameras up.

The technology has been developed to raise and lower speed bumps based on speed.

Did they also tell him to put his PIN in backwards when using an ATM if they’re being mugged. I was on a train on the way to a stag doo with 2 coppers in charge of a northwest newsletter who shared that one! Was funny watching them call to try and stop it being sent out when I told them it was BS too.

ramborobert

Apr 5, 2014
has it still got the sound aktor (or whatever the thing's called) They dont have it in the Golf R so you actually hear the engine/exhaust rather then a synthesized sound
There is a noticble difference in sound between comfort and cupra (presumably soundakor) and I do quite like it in cupra just dont hear the crackles on lift off and no pops on upshift.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Finally picked up the cupra today windscreen got hit by a big stone on the way home lucky it didnt crack but it chipped on the passenger side ffs. Need to do a lot more driving to get used to the dsg, the auto handbrake and the startstop. I'm not hearing a much pop crackles and bangs tho and generally getting the dsg in the right gears gonna take some getting used too. I still think i prefer a manual for the involvement but i have to say its the ultimate cruiser in comfort mode if you do alot of motorway miles especially with the 7 speed dsg. I'm totally shocked tho that on my 50 mile trip home i managed 30mpg thats amazing (for the exuberant driving).

Disable stop start using OBDeleven. That’s one problem sorted.

Use handbrake in Manual. That’s two problems sorted.

DSG does take some getting used to and at certain times using the paddles do help i.e changing down for a roundabout and smooth driving.

There was a thread on the forum about driving a DSG box and even though it is long it’s well worth a read as it is a change to normal driving techniques.

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
There is a noticble difference in sound between comfort and cupra (presumably soundakor) and I do quite like it in cupra just dont hear the crackles on lift off and no pops on upshift.

There is a noticeable difference between Confort and Cupra with the Soundaktor at 0% ie off. At least that’s what I’ve noticed when changing modes and putting my heavy foot down. Sounds great with the DSG farts as well.

As for Pops and Crackles I couldn’t care less. I prefer the stealthy attitude and speed of the car not the loudness and brashness of the car. DSG farts make me smile enough.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
has it still got the sound aktor (or whatever the thing's called) They dont have it in the Golf R so you actually hear the engine/exhaust rather then a synthesized sound
They did have them in the R, as well as the valve for the exhaust system - controlled by the DSG modes (in the 5dr).

With regards to the CUPRA it's not in the Ateca but is in the SEAT Cupra's.

I turned mine back on in the 280 but will be turning it down in the 290 so I can hear the "sports" exhaust

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ramborobert

Apr 5, 2014
Disable stop start using OBDeleven. That’s one problem sorted.

Use handbrake in Manual. That’s two problems sorted.

DSG does take some getting used to and at certain times using the paddles do help i.e changing down for a roundabout and smooth driving.

There was a thread on the forum about driving a DSG box and even though it is long it’s well worth a read as it is a change to normal driving techniques.
No doubt I'll have to invest In obd11 for some fiddling :p

Reactions: Lmbarrett83

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
No doubt I'll have to invest In obd11 for some fiddling :p

Plenty of subtle mods you can do. If you don’t want the cost outlay you could see if there is anyone in your area that has one who could do a few mods for beer tokens.

@theoldboy is very OBD knowledgable and could maybe point you in the direction of mods available for your model. I’d help but can’t post links as I’m at work on my mobile.

Deleted member 103408

If you dont want to go for an OBD11 then have a look at Carista, It does the changes for you but you are limited to what they provide you cant code for yourself. OBD11 on the other had does provide apps but its best used to code fixes for yourself.

Reactions: K12

AlexOS

Was that in DSG Sport (S) mode?
Have you noticed a difference between the exhaust in D and S?

Changing the DSG from D to S shouldn’t affect the sound as such, it just makes the changes later for more performance and less efficiency

If you put the car in Cupra mode it changes more settings, and puts the gearbox in S.

If you like the sound and feel but want a little more efficient use of fuel, set the car to individual and put everything in Cupra except the gearbox, leave that in normal... just means it’ll change gear a bit earlier, saving fuel.

If it’s anything like the Golf R I have at the moment, it’ll save 2-4mpg on average if you leave everything the same except the gearbox. You’ll still leave most drivers for dust. Lol

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Changing the DSG from D to S shouldn’t affect the sound as such, it just makes the changes later for more performance and less efficiency

If you put the car in Cupra mode it changes more settings, and puts the gearbox in S.

If you like the sound and feel but want a little more efficient use of fuel, set the car to individual and put everything in Cupra except the gearbox, leave that in normal... just means it’ll change gear a bit earlier, saving fuel.

It won't affect engine noise but should make the DSG bangs and farts more frequent and pronounced. Especially in manual mode.

You are right about Cupra changing DSG to S.

However on cold start up, if the mode was previously in Cupra and you haven't reselected the Cupra drive mode or shifted to S everything will be in Cupra apart from the DSG.

You'll get fake engine noise but the exhaust won't have as much character as it will be in D not S.

Last edited:
Reactions: walshy

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey

If it’s anything like the Golf R I have at the moment, it’ll save 2-4mpg on average if you leave everything the same except the gearbox. You’ll still leave most drivers for dust. Lol
As far as I can see in the menu, you can’t set the gearbox modes up other than dropping from D into S. Even in individual mode, you can only set suspension, engine, steering and diff...there’s no gearbox setting.

AlexOS

As far as I can see in the menu, you can’t set the gearbox modes up other than dropping from D into S. Even in individual mode, you can only set suspension, engine, steering and diff...there’s no gearbox setting.
ok, I'm going from the golf.. in that case, when in Cupra mode, push the gear leaver back and this should switch from S to D.. that will change gear a bit earlier, saving a bit of fuel, but leaving everything else in Cupra mode..

indyjones

Aug 14, 2017
This is getting boring, just had an 'update' from SEAT CS to tell me there are still awaiting technical data....... Obviously I said others have now received build dates for their STs.
She even said you have been '"waiting a really long time," (since Jan) and apparently is going to escalate my case on Monday. I will be asking about side skirts, and will see where that gets me!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.