• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Power steering Light on

HSimo7

Oct 1, 2018
Hi, This morning my car was working completely fine i did 2 trips at around 8-9am. It comes to 2pm and i turn my car on to find that the powersteering light is on, i dont have any power assisted steering and its very heavy. i have cheched the fuse box in the dashboard and all seem to be fine. I have also topped the fluid up as it previously wasnt registering on the dipstick. even after this the light is still on and still no PAS, ive also taken the negative off and left it for 10 mins with no luck. Has anyone ever experienced this or could guide me to the solution?

Thankyou so much for taking the time to read and any advice is appriciated

HSimo7

Oct 1, 2018
Power steering pump or battery.
The pump that the reservoir is located on? the one in the pic below?

Also what would the reason for it being the battery?? as my car starts alright ect. could it also possibly be the fuse box ontop of the battery??

Thanks so much

Attachments

• img_6051.jpg
    img_6051.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 96

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
The pump is below the reservoir.

Ive seen dozens of pumps failing here on this forum and others (I had two) and never saw that fuse failing, but you could easily do a continuity test to prove its ok.
The one that Ive read about failing is the one that is under the dahboard but only once(that fuse used to tell the pump to start when you start the car). Vut even in that case from what I remember the problem was the pump that was burning them.

The pump is a two in one unit.

Ps: Make sure you put G004000M2 fluid.

Edit: yes its the pic you posted.

Last edited:

HSimo7

Oct 1, 2018
The pump is below the reservoir.

Ive seen dozens of pumps failing here on this forum and others (I had two) and never saw that fuse failing, but you could easily do a continuity test to prove its ok.
The one that Ive read about failing is the one that is under the dahboard but only once.

The pump is a two in one unit.

Ps: Make sure you put G004000M2 fluid.

Edit: yes its the pic you posted.
Brill, what i might do is get a battery first as it would be the cheaper option and try that, if that dont work then i will get a PAS pump. Are they easy enough to replace or did you not do it yourself?? would you also get a new or used PAS pump?? thanks for all the info mate.

Ive also just messaged my friend whos an EX vw technician and he has a fault code reader so hopefully that may bring a fault code up leading me in the correct direction.

Thanks once again :)

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
You could test the battery. How old is the battery?

A new one OEM is about 1000€.

You can get a second hand for about 100€

6R0423156C

Or buy the trw, it is the same as OEM new for about 300€

HSimo7

Oct 1, 2018
You could test the battery. How old is the battery?

A new one OEM is about 1000€.

You can get a second hand for about 100€

6R0423156C

Or buy the trw, it is the same as OEM new for about 300€
I will check the battery date tomorrow since its late at night but it does'nt look like its been recently changed and has battery grease on the terminals, it would be atleast 3-4 years old as the car is a late 2014/ early 2015 model. i will test the battery tomorrow and see if it is alright using a battery tester from work.

what did you do did you get a new or trw one?? did you fit it yourself or did amechanic do it as if it is easy enough to do myself i will its just img guessing a new pump will need to be coded?

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
I got a new one and at a garage but if it was today I would buy the trw or second hand and do it myself.

Yes it needs coding if your car has ESP and its a new unit.

If it is second hand it depends on the coding the pump has originally.

Its not difficult but it would not be easy for begginers

I can help with the coding if you have the tool to change it.

HSimo7

Oct 1, 2018
I got a new one and at a garage but if it was today I would buy the trw or second hand and do it myself.

Yes it needs coding if your car has ESP and its a new unit.

If it is second hand it depends on the coding the pump has originally.

Its not difficult but it would not be easy for begginers

I can help with the coding if you have the tool to change it.
If it turns out to be the pump that needs replacing will there be a specific fault code you know of on a diagnostic machine that i will use??

If the pump is second hand will it not always require coding or since its a different vehicle it will still need a code??
Also inwill have to see if the diagnostic machine inuse also will code in, if not i will have to take it to a garage and get it fitted, maybe if i buy the trw one and get a non dealer garage to fitnand code it that may be a cheaper option??
Thanks again mate

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
https://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/...-diagnosis_of_the_power-steering/fault_table/

If it is a different vehicle it would work if the car has the same ESP system but the strenght of the steering would be different from the original until you put the proper code.

At the delaer expect around 1000€ to 1100€

950€ is for the pump.

This were the prices here in Portugal 3.5 years ago when I had problems with mine.

The code is composed by the strenght od the steering(11/21/31/41/51) and ESP system(
(01/12)

Mine is 10111

1- airbag
01 - g250 sensor (recent cars with esp have the g85 sensor so needs 12, mine has both dont know why, maybe because it is an early version, 2008)
11 - strenght of the steering

Last edited:

HSimo7

Oct 1, 2018
https://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/...-diagnosis_of_the_power-steering/fault_table/

If it is a different vehicle it would work if the car has the same ESP system but the strenght of the steering would be different from the original until you put the proper code.

At the delaer expect around 1000€ to 1100€

950€ is for the pump.

This were the prices here in Portugal 3.5 years ago when I had problems with mine.

The code is composed by the strenght od the steering(11/21/31/41/51) and ESP system(
(01/12)

Mine is 10111

1- airbag
01 - g250 sensor (recent cars with esp have the g85 sensor so needs 12, mine has both dont know why, maybe because it is an early version, 2008)
11 - strenght of the steering
Thanks for the info mate.
I just turned my car on this morning and the power steering is working andnthe light has gone off. I realise this could be an intermittent fault so could this still possibly be the pump/loose connection on the pump. Or maybe the battery itself/alternator maybe?? Thanks

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Doesnt really mean anything could be all of what it could before.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I have been lucky so far with power steering, my wife had a Polo with that system for 13 years 105K miles and it was always okay, my older daughter has a late 2009 Ibiza SC and so far so good.

Just another point, normally, if it is the battery that is failing and so has now got reduced capacity, it will most likely only be a problem at a cold start in the morning when the car has been unused for a long time and the temperature is lower than during the day. In that situation, if you started the car and drove it for 30 minutes while the power steering light was on, if you switched the engine off then restarted it, as the battery will be in better condition than it was when you first started the car, it should start okay and the power steering light will be out.

If your car is having an intermittent failure then checking the logged fault codes with a VW Group specific code reader will hand over better information.

There is a company in UK called BBA Reman I think, they can repair these steering pump/controller assemblies by mail order, though that would mean the car being off the road for a few days until the repaired unit was returned. They don't change the coding on the controllers ever, so it would just be a case of refitting it and bleeding the rack.

When you say that you needed to add in some steering fluid, I hope that it was almost none, as if you needed to add in quite a lot it means that your steering rack end seals are leaking and that steering rack needs repairing or replacing! (these systems do not "use" any fluid if they are working okay".

HSimo7

Oct 1, 2018
I have been lucky so far with power steering, my wife had a Polo with that system for 13 years 105K miles and it was always okay, my older daughter has a late 2009 Ibiza SC and so far so good.

Just another point, normally, if it is the battery that is failing and so has now got reduced capacity, it will most likely only be a problem at a cold start in the morning when the car has been unused for a long time and the temperature is lower than during the day. In that situation, if you started the car and drove it for 30 minutes while the power steering light was on, if you switched the engine off then restarted it, as the battery will be in better condition than it was when you first started the car, it should start okay and the power steering light will be out.

If your car is having an intermittent failure then checking the logged fault codes with a VW Group specific code reader will hand over better information.

There is a company in UK called BBA Reman I think, they can repair these steering pump/controller assemblies by mail order, though that would mean the car being off the road for a few days until the repaired unit was returned. They don't change the coding on the controllers ever, so it would just be a case of refitting it and bleeding the rack.

When you say that you needed to add in some steering fluid, I hope that it was almost none, as if you needed to add in quite a lot it means that your steering rack end seals are leaking and that steering rack needs repairing or replacing! (these systems do not "use" any fluid if they are working okay".
The battery starts the car fine but it could also be the fuse ontop of the battery aswell that has blown with a hairline fracture. And i added about 100-200 ml of steering fluid, it was touching the bottom of the dipstick barely. The light was off this morning and power steering was working but ill have to check it again once i get home from work. Thanks for the info mate

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
It is normal for the fluid to just touch the bottom of the dipstick, so it sounds like you don't have a rack seal leak, which is good!