Goodyear Tyres

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
Hey guys and gals! :)

Right, I'm in dire need of getting some new tyres, 2 reasons specifically!

1. Thread depth is very low
  2. Will be going on a Dyno Power Test

In that order my reason is for new tyres, I've been reading threads and such and people like the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric (be that Asy 1 or Asy 2), for my current tyres I am running 205/55/R16 91H (all 4 tyres are different) though I want the same and decent haha!

From what I recall I have a Goodyear NCS tyre on the passenger side front and Michelin rears.

Anyway, for budget purpose also, I'm thinking of going with these tyres: Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance 205/55/R16 91V

I've never ordered from that website but from what I can tell I can order and have delivered straight to a garage for fitting, the garage I plan to use for my tyre purchase is Addison Tyre Centre - Tipton as that is where I had my tyres aligned previously and they seem to be pretty decent people.

What do you guys think for now, is it worth while? They tyres look pretty good to me but I'm no tyre buff, I can't spend too much as I'm thin on the finances side as it is for now, so I was looking for decent yet cheap? The tyre's are currently £48.79 per unit which equates to £195.16 for the whole car. I believe I have a fitting fee to pay too which is £12.91, though I'm not sure if that is for all 4 or just 1 tyre. I can always ring the place up anyway! :D

Verdicts anyone?

--Lee

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
Will 17's fit on my rim mate or would I need a whole new set and rim? If so what would the cost be and would it make much of a difference to how my current tyres sit?

I know we talked a little bit about it when I came down to see you didn't I haha, my brains turned to mush many times since then :rofl:

--Lee

Last edited:

Bouncerbeater

Old enough to know better
Mar 15, 2013
Gloucestershire
Of course you would need rims too but there are plenty of used rims with good tyres available for little money. Make it look nicer in the process

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
Ahh sweet, 17's should fit straight in yes, with standard springs/etc that is currently on the car. Do you have any recommendations at as in tyre specs, for example 205/55/R16 91V for what I was looking at?

--Lee

Bouncerbeater

Mar 15, 2013
Gloucestershire
Yes straight on especially if you get some Cupra ones, maybe starfish etc. I think they fit with 225/45/17 .
I have a set in the garage with great tyres too but was planning on fitting back on my Cupra when I sell it so unfortunately they ain't for sale.

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
Yes straight on especially if you get some Cupra ones, maybe starfish etc. I think they fit with 225/45/17 .
I have a set in the garage with great tyres too but was planning on fitting back on my Cupra when I sell it so unfortunately they ain't for sale.

Gutted! :D

Thanks Simon, will have a look for some Cupra rims, I'm having a look on eBay and most of the stuff coming up is 4 studs and 5 studs £800+ (my searching sucks haha!) At least I have a pointer to go off now mate! :)

Again, thanks for you help, will post back some results :D

--Lee

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
You've got an ASV, a great engine but not an ultimate performance device, so you don't need to explore the edge of the performance envelope. Those tyres to look very good, from all the reviews - you will need to add fitting and balancing costs, of course.

Original spec for the car is 91W, so I don't know if going for the lower rated 91V will cause a problem with your insurance.

The only advantage of going for bigger wheels + lower profile tyres would be cosmetic. And you would have to pay a lot more for tyres.

225/45 R17 91W wheel/tyres are also in spec for your car. You will need new wheels, 16 inch tyres will not fit on 17 inch rims :) 7jx17 rims with an ET of 38mm.

Last edited:

Bouncerbeater

Mar 15, 2013
Gloucestershire
Original spec for the car is 91W, so I don't know if going for the lower rated 91V will cause a problem with your insurance.

The only advantage of going for bigger wheels + lower profile tyres would be cosmetic. And you would have to pay a lot more for tyres.

225/45 R17 91W wheel/tyres are also in spec for your car.
Obviously any modification should be declared to your insurance of course although Seat wheels could be considered as an option maybe

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
It's not the wheels that will be the problem, it's the V-rated tyres when W-rating is manufacturer-spec. It is the sort of thing that an insurer could use to deny a claim.

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
Thanks guys, I never knew the cars spec for wheels was 91W, I was going to go for 91V because my current tyres are rated 91H haha!

I've seen theseSet of 5 genuine SEAT Leon Cupra F R alloys 1MO601025 P 225 45 R17 NO RESERVE they are declared as size 7J x 17H2 and offset ET38.

Price seems fair though I'd have to have a nice drive down to see them haha! :D

With them being Genuine Seat wheels, I'd have to declare the wheel change right or would that not matter so long as I go for W-rated tyres?

--Lee

Bouncerbeater

Mar 15, 2013
Gloucestershire
With insurers as we all know there will always be an attempt to wriggle out of their responsibilities if at all possible so these things have to be thought of long and hard

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
How much of an impact will it make just changing the rims? Does it add a lot of cost or not? Concerning where the insurers lay that is. :D (My current insurer is Octagon)

As I'm temped for the time being to stick with the normal 16's and go W-Rated tyres until I can find out the proper cost to change to 17's? Since my main goal for now is to get new tyres on, get a power test done to find out where I stand with the cars power and health, that combined with the vacuum layout as it is. Might be more costly in the long run doing this but I was planning on having a power test done hopefully next week before I go up Manchester if not the week/weekend after it.

--Lee

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
91H is the winter tyre spec for the TDI 110 engined Mk.1 Leon. So you are in a grey area - which should be no surprise when it comes to insurers.

I never felt disadvantaged by the 16" rims on the Toledo, not even on the TDI 150 Sport, which had spiffy Torrenorfeo wheels. The improvement in ride and handling with the TDI 150 car was all down to the suspension spring and damper combination plus a little lower ride height (set at the factory and part of the "Sport" spec). It was night and day compared to the TDI 110 car, and not uncomfortable for passengers either, but it stuck to the road a lot better and gave a lot more confidence in corners.

Low profile tyres/larger rim sizes are mostly about the look of the thing. There is a theoretical advantage in steering compliance and grip in cornering on the limit, but most of us are never in that situation outside of a track day, so it comes down to cosmetics in the end.

New wheels are usually a significant cost, and lower profile tyres are also more expensive than less extreme ones.

Last edited:

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
Yeah, I can honestly say I'm not going to be doing any track days any time soon and definitely not within this year, aside from the car I have other things I have to do also which is why it's a slow work in progress. :D

Would you mind me asking for a copy or a link to the manufacturers specs for this car please mate?

I think I will stick to the 16"'s for now and just get the tyres put on as I am quite stretched with outgoings, I was suggested Nankangs (sp?) from the stated garage I would be using for cheap but good runners, not sure how good they are though... Will have to get a quote on total cost and will mention these tyres to see the total cost of what it will hit me for, will get quotes first though that way I can weigh up the differences but will most likely go with Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance 205/55 R16 91W just to go through the power test and run them until I can afford 17"'s for cosmetic purposes. :D

Then when I do go to the 17" route, I'll keep the 16" rims and get winter tyres for them and keep the 17" for the rest of the year. Possible idea anyway! :)

Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate both of your help and suggestions! :)

--Lee

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.