move over polish, welcome carnauba wax

AndyN

Feb 7, 2014
Get yourself some opti-seal!! Takes 10 minutes to apply, no buffing and detailers rave about it on detailing world. Then you can wax over that once the sealant has cured, if you still want to wax as well :)

cupra fan

Nov 30, 2001
norfolk
Visit site
Was it Carlack68 NSC you had? Or an actual polish? NSC is an AIO like AutoGlym SRP. I've got an old jar of it and quite like it.

I've got AF Desire at the moment. Lasts about 4months.

Believe it is carlack68nsc , the look im after is not the mirror finish though,but a shimmer - watery look,there a hint of that in my original second picture,realise now have to spend more money after seeing the pinnacle wax video! its all good fun waxs sealants etc - How do you compare the desire to pinnacle or collinite?

Last edited:

AdamRoutley

Use The Force!!
Feb 22, 2007
Walsall
www.myspace.com
LOL at this thread.

If it was done right once then you would get that "depth of field" from just a wash.

If you're going to "leave the detailing to others" as you "don't have time for any of that faf" ..why not just take it down the koso's hand wash?

Seriously...? Do it right or don't bother!

Wimbledonian

Aug 31, 2010
milling around
I use Carlack 68 (sometimes branded Klasse) - but note it's a two stage sealant, the 1st bottle is an all-in-one and the 2nd is a sealant glaze. Seems to last a few months. The AIO alone isn't going to give you a final finish.

cupra fan

Nov 30, 2001
norfolk
Visit site
LOL at this thread.

If it was done right once then you would get that "depth of field" from just a wash.

If you're going to "leave the detailing to others" as you "don't have time for any of that faf" ..why not just take it down the koso's hand wash?

Seriously...? Do it right or don't bother!

what is doing it right? im,and others are keen to learn:rolleyes:

Last edited:

AdamRoutley

Use The Force!!
Feb 22, 2007
Walsall
www.myspace.com
what is doing it right? im,and others are keen to learn:rolleyes:

Depth comes from the quality of paint layers and specifically the clear coat. When people "detail" properly normally consists of using a machine polisher with different grades of polish and pads.

This takes off the edges of swirls and burns them down to produce a continuous flat polished surface. Once this is achieved, all wax does is simply protect that layer (clear coat). The reason expensive waxes have Carnauba in them is because this is hard and durable.

So to surmise, then shine comes from the car, the base, the foundations if you like. A wax simply preserves it.

If you don't tackle swirls, holograms, minor scratches and then add wax, all you are simply doing is masking imperfections.

Some polishes for example, autoglym super resin polish have filling agents in which fill these swirls temporarily and then you wax over them to protect them.

So..if you simple wax your car without any previous steps all you are doing is getting a mediocre finish that is temporary and wasting an expensive wax.

Last edited:

cupra fan

Nov 30, 2001
norfolk
Visit site
Depth comes from the quality of paint layers and specifically the clear coat. When people "detail" properly normally consists of using a machine polisher with different grades of polish and pads.

This takes off the edges of swirls and burns them down to produce a continuous flat polished surface. Once this is achieved, all wax does is simply protect that layer (clear coat). The reason expensive waxes have Carnauba in them is because this is hard and durable.

So to surmise, then shine comes from the car, the base, the foundations if you like. A wax simply preserves it.

If you don't tackle swirls, holograms, minor scratches and then add wax, all you are simply doing is masking imperfections.

Some polishes for example, autoglym super resin polish have filling agents in which fill these swirls temporarily and then you wax over them to protect them.

So..if you simple wax your car without any previous steps all you are doing is getting a mediocre finish that is temporary and wasting an expensive wax.

Its not for me to say anything:D I think you'll find its down to the individual - how much detailing they wish or have time to do!

Last edited:

AdamRoutley

Use The Force!!
Feb 22, 2007
Walsall
www.myspace.com
Its not for me to say anything:D I think you'll find its down to the individual - how much detailing they wish or have time to do!

I totally agree. I myself don't spend all the hours of daylight shining my car up, I just understand the principle of doing it properly.

Have a look on detailingworld for product reviews. There is a wealth of information on there.

FYI I wasn't "dissing" your efforts, the car looks fab! :)

cupra fan

Nov 30, 2001
norfolk
Visit site
The fun is all the products,and seeing a difference with your car, the detailing world is endless information and absorbing,i think the review comparing carnauba wax and sealants is spot on and leaves peope with two diffent shines! - just depends on what you prefer! and will split people and cause different views and opinions

Last edited:

RaviR50

Aug 15, 2012
Southampton
my routine is rinse, clay, wash 3 bucket method, polish, seal and then wax and just use a quick detailer to top up every so often :)

Greavesy

Jun 30, 2013
Donny
It's not about spending £30 + on a tub of wax.

If you're willing the spend the time to wash and then wax it, why not wash it, dry it, polish it (either by hand or machine) and then wax it.

If you think it looks good now wait till you've polished the paint first.

If you really wanna go to town then clay the paint too.

I've got a £14 tub of wax
A £14 bottle of polish
A few applicator pads and a few buffing cloths.

Actually comes out cheaper than the £30 that you spent A tin of wax.

I'll generally give it a quick wash and then stick on some quick detailer.

Then every now and then I'll wash, dry, polish, wax, quick detailer on top.
It's well worth the effort.

Last edited:

cupra fan

Nov 30, 2001
norfolk
Visit site
Used to detail my car,but have got old and really enjoy washing and polishing/waxing my car every sunday morning! but have been mezmorized by carnauba waxs and the way it plays with the paint in different lights! my neighbour is the same but uses modern polishes and sealents and the difference in look between the two cars are huge!

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.