DGJ's Leon Cupra TDI - Staggered Rims, AP Coilovers, 312mm Brakes, Milltek Turbo-Back

RaviR50

Aug 15, 2012
Southampton
great looking car mate, the spacers are great!! how low are you planning on going?? i wanna go to some proper lows on mine just worried about scraping and the arbs would need changing after about 4omm drop. What happened with the carbon roof plans?? i reckon it would look better with a gloss black :)

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
If you fancy selling your lowering springs once you get your coilovers fitted give me shout mate ill take them off your hands! Car is looking good by the way, liking the wider stance with the spacers, coils will set it off nicely!:)

I'll see what condition they're in when they come off and get in touch mate :)

I don't know how much they would be worth as I don't know what brand they are or anything so hit me with an offer!

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
great looking car mate, the spacers are great!! how low are you planning on going?? i wanna go to some proper lows on mine just worried about scraping and the arbs would need changing after about 4omm drop. What happened with the carbon roof plans?? i reckon it would look better with a gloss black :)

Cheers mate :) I'm not going too low, gonna bring the arches level with the tyres and see how I go from there. I was looking at getting ARBs and such but it's just about the money at the moment. Will probably get a new front ARB for peace of mind when I can afford it and do the back one while I'm at it ;)

Haha well I was mad about the idea but now I'm thinking keep the carbon subtle. I'm not as brave or lairy as some of you guys :p

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
They're finally done :funk:

Took the drive to Awesome on Thursday morning after getting up and dragging my girlfriend out of bed at 6.30, dropped the car off at 8.30 and went for a wander around Manchester, a short while later and my standard shocks and lowering springs had been taken out and AP coilovers and Powerflex top mounts put in their place.

This was a few days before I took the car in just after having it washed. You can see the arch gap at the front and rear and although the height wasn't bad, it just wasn't low enough.

IMAG0109.jpg

IMAG0111.jpg

IMAG0106.jpg

The coilovers were fitted, and after a 50 mile drive home and a night to rest this is how they looked on Friday

IMAG0118.jpg

IMAG0121.jpg

IMAG0117.jpg

IMAG0120.jpg

As you can see it's a good 12-15mm drop at the back and about 10mm at the front. The front can't go any lower yet until I get the anti roll bar sorted but once that's done the stance will be spot on. I'm also thinking of adding some ECS aligning plates for the rear beam so the wheels are tucked back in the arch a little better.

First impressions were a firmer ride but hardly any loss of comfort over small bumps and such. There is a slight knock over harsh bumps, which could be the brand new shocks or the firmer top mounts, and rubbing on full lock or under heavy cornering but this seems to be down to the driveshaft/arb issue.

The look is 10 times better than it was and once I can get the front levelled off with the rear it will be spot on to how I want it. Awesome even set up the camber on the rear slightly which I was pleased with when I got the car back :)

Next to do is make a cold air feed until I get the funds to sort out the arb and then I'll be looking to do the exhaust and rear arb in time for Ultimate Dubs!

I'll give the new set up a couple of weeks to settle and then post an update. As always any comments welcome guys :)

RaviR50

Aug 15, 2012
Southampton
Cheers mate :) I'm not going too low, gonna bring the arches level with the tyres and see how I go from there. I was looking at getting ARBs and such but it's just about the money at the moment. Will probably get a new front ARB for peace of mind when I can afford it and do the back one while I'm at it ;)

Haha well I was mad about the idea but now I'm thinking keep the carbon subtle. I'm not as brave or lairy as some of you guys :p

gotta say thats a solid drop you got there, what coilovers are they?? Will look a whole lot better once the front is dropped a bit. May be worth lifting the back until you get the ARB's. If you get the wheels flush with a bit of camber the stance will be spot on i reckon!

yeah i dont really like too much carbon either, saying that im getting my roof snow camo wrapped soon haha. but yeah a gloss black would look pretty damn good i reckon, would work will with car colour :)

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
gotta say thats a solid drop you got there, what coilovers are they?? Will look a whole lot better once the front is dropped a bit. May be worth lifting the back until you get the ARB's. If you get the wheels flush with a bit of camber the stance will be spot on i reckon!

yeah i dont really like too much carbon either, saying that im getting my roof snow camo wrapped soon haha. but yeah a gloss black would look pretty damn good i reckon, would work will with car colour :)

Cheers mate :D They're AP ones so made my KW but rebranded for the budget market. I agree with it looking better once I drop the front, the rears are a PITA to alter though from what I've read so will just leave it as is until I get an ARB sorted.

I like carbon and I really was keen on the idea, but since then I've decided to keep it more standardish with some nice touches like the carbon S badges and lowered on nice wheels. Gloss black would work well but would have to be sprayed to really look the part....decisions decisions!

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Small update, sorted a cold air feed today using some 80mm ally ducting and a hammer and chisel :cartman:

Took out my air box which I had planned on smoothing at some point to find the previous owner has already done it top and bottom :) starting to wonder if it used to belong to a member on here?

Anyway, removed the n/s fog light, chipped some of the plastic away from behind the headlight and got the duct through that way. It's not the neatest of jobs and I had to do some serious bending to get the duct though the mouth of the airbox but it's in now and hopefuly will let the engine breath a little more freely :) will let you know how I get on with it.

Only problem....it's silver on the inside which I didn't realise until I was fitting it :doh::sick:

joshy514

Fleet Air Arm by ability.
Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
This is the same way my caf goes, I know it works because mine sucks on tickover through the little funnel i have in the grill! Should be putting coilies on mine this weekend, with front powerflex bushes and cupra r powerflex top mounts!

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
This is the same way my caf goes, I know it works because mine sucks on tickover through the little funnel i have in the grill! Should be putting coilies on mine this weekend, with front powerflex bushes and cupra r powerflex top mounts!

Haha I actually had to go outside to check that then, thats awesome! :D Can actually hear and feel the suction from just inside the ducting! If only it wasn't silver inside :cry:
What coilies are you putting on? Like the way your car is going, similar taste :bleh:

Looks gd bro bit lower on the front then would b spot on

Car is looking awesome :) get some more lows on the go thou and its gonna be schweeeeet

cheers guys :D once I have the money to get an arb sorted I'm gonna drop the front the final few mm to make it sit right. The coils have already settled a little bit since I took those pics, now another 3-5mm lower :)

Have had chance to try out my cold air feed a bit since yesterday and it certainly makes a difference! The engine feels less restricted above 3k and seems to keep on pushing right through 3rd and 4th. There is a slightly deeper tone and grumble from the front end now too which is pretty nice :D even if over all performance isn't dramatically improved it certainly helps the engine to breath easier. Just need to get rid of the back box and then start saving for a remap later in the year.

Jul 9, 2012
Haha I actually had to go outside to check that then, thats awesome! :D Can actually hear and feel the suction from just inside the ducting! If only it wasn't silver inside :cry:
What coilies are you putting on? Like the way your car is going, similar taste :bleh:

cheers guys :D once I have the money to get an arb sorted I'm gonna drop the front the final few mm to make it sit right. The coils have already settled a little bit since I took those pics, now another 3-5mm lower :)

Have had chance to try out my cold air feed a bit since yesterday and it certainly makes a difference! The engine feels less restricted above 3k and seems to keep on pushing right through 3rd and 4th. There is a slightly deeper tone and grumble from the front end now too which is pretty nice :D even if over all performance isn't dramatically improved it certainly helps the engine to breath easier. Just need to get rid of the back box and then start saving for a remap later in the year.

I would just run the r 32 or Quattro arb bud never caught on mi a3 bit cheaper too

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Aren't they the ones designed to fit with drop links? The Cupra has the ARB attachment on the wishbones so is slightly different from what I've read.

I found somewhere selling 22mm ones on ebay for £80, unbranded but look just like the FK ones sold by DPM and others.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
The knocking your getting is deffo the stock arb hitting the driveshaft!

I get the same on my fr!
You can get a bigger looped arb for £80 off ebay! No need to spend a bucket on an eibach arb, at the end of the day its a metal bar ;)

My height (mines knocks like mad)

8E56D7AE-EE3E-4DFB-AFF4-542BE78C1EB2-449-00000051D4C811AB.jpg

joshy514

Fleet Air Arm by ability.
Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
Be careful with the caf though, my jr filter has rust on the face of it where it has sucked water, but luckily its in a place it wont get the filter wet.... if you suck water in then its an expensive repair lol. they're only the jom ones but i will do proper ones when i get from a 3 month trip with work. Mine didnt knock when it was on springs...? but those springs were sh1t! get a settled photo up :)

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
/\ it shouldnt knock on springs as there should be enough space between arb and driveshaft its when you go lower than 40mm on coilovers the gap between arb and driveshaft is too tight so the knock off each other. Big looped arb required to gain distance from driveshaft :)

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
The knocking your getting is deffo the stock arb hitting the driveshaft!

I get the same on my fr!
You can get a bigger looped arb for £80 off ebay! No need to spend a bucket on an eibach arb, at the end of the day its a metal bar ;)

I think I've seen the one you're on about and was looking at getting that when I have the money for it. Like you say it seems to me it's mostly just a metal bar and a thicker one is already going to work better than a thinner one.

Be careful with the caf though, my jr filter has rust on the face of it where it has sucked water, but luckily its in a place it wont get the filter wet.... if you suck water in then its an expensive repair lol. they're only the jom ones but i will do proper ones when i get from a 3 month trip with work. Mine didnt knock when it was on springs...? but those springs were sh1t! get a settled photo up :)

Haha yikes, I've read a few horror stories about that. I'm using the standard air box so hopefully any water will go to the bottom of the box. I'll check it in a week or so and see if the filter has any damp on it. May have to think of something to cover it. Still feels good though :D

Sounds good mate, I was gonna go with those so would be interested to see how you get on with them. Mine didn;t knock on 30mm sorings either but as Jasc said, it's when you go down to 40 or lower that you get problems, and I'm getting more now that it's setlling a bit. I'll get some good settled shots up when I have chance, the car's looking a bit dirty at the mo though!

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Cheers mate, have asked the seller if they are the 312mm and if they include the carriers as that's a pretty good steal! Just gotta see how I get on with some seats I'm bidding on before I commit to buying them...

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise