DGJ's Leon Cupra TDI - Staggered Rims, AP Coilovers, 312mm Brakes, Milltek Turbo-Back

puchos

Apr 30, 2005
North Wales
Hey mate, were you in Mold yesterday around 5.30? Think I saw you at the Tesco roundabout with a kid in the car?

Yeh mate thought I recognised the car pull off behind me! Like the mods you have done recently. Where did you get the hand brake cover from?
Just had new Sachs organic clutch and superpro poly bushes fitted all round, feels like a different car now! Springs next on the agenda I think...

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Yeh mate thought I recognised the car pull off behind me! Like the mods you have done recently. Where did you get the hand brake cover from?
Just had new Sachs organic clutch and superpro poly bushes fitted all round, feels like a different car now! Springs next on the agenda I think...

Ah I thought so, didn't think there could be many silver Cupras round this way ;) I was running my girlfriend and her cat to the vets after he'd had a nasty fight with another cat :handbags:

Awesome, which bushes have you had done? Looking to change my top mounts and wishbones when I get coilivers put on.

where did you get your leather hand brake for £20?

I got it off eBay mate, just search "mk4 golf leather handbrake" and there's a load on there ranging from £10-£30+. I just happened to find a cover on it's own for a good price!

puchos

Apr 30, 2005
North Wales
Ah I thought so, didn't think there could be many silver Cupras round this way ;) I was running my girlfriend and her cat to the vets after he'd had a nasty fight with another cat :handbags:

Awesome, which bushes have you had done? Looking to change my top mounts and wishbones when I get coilivers put on.

It looked like you we're in a rush as you pulled off!

Changed front wishbones and rear beam, still got the dog bone bush to go on but have decided to leave it to be honest , not keen on having the shakey cabin. If your in the market for one will sell at a good price;)

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
I got a whole mk4 gti leather handbrake for £8.06!! posted

Nice! The first one I got was the whole handbrake assembly, cost me £12 but was pretty worn. This one was in much better nick and it feels like they even polished the leather before sending it to me!

It looked like you we're in a rush as you pulled off!

Changed front wishbones and rear beam, still got the dog bone bush to go on but have decided to leave it to be honest , not keen on having the shakey cabin. If your in the market for one will sell at a good price;)

Yeah we were a bit worried cause his legs had got swollen but all sorted now.

Nice, do they make a difference to the ride? How does the steering feel now?

Haha I may be interested, you have PM ;) (EDIT: You have a visitor message as you don't have enough posts to PM :p)

Last edited:

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
I've been without a computer for the last week as my charger decided to pack in :whistle: so I've done a couple of small bits in the meantime.

Firstly I got my battery box fitted, just tidies up the engine bay a little, want to carbon wrap the fuse box and either wrap or spray the caps that are currently an uncomplimentary blue...

Before box

IMAG0059_BURST001.jpg

After Box

IMAG0060.jpg

Next I sprayed the gear surround and re-painted the little bit at the top so that the colours would match. The previous finish wasn't great as it was actually calliper paint!

Removing old surround

IMAG0088.jpg

New surround in

IMAG0089.jpg

I also changed my Philips Blue Vision bulbs for some Philips Diamond Vision and the result is much better.

Blue vision with LED sidelights...

SAM_0479EDIT.jpg

Blue vision on the left, Diamond vision on the right

SAM_0484EDIT.jpg

All Diamond vision, and a much better match to the LED sidelights although they're not quite so blue in the flesh

SAM_0486EDIT.jpg

And a couple of night pics off my phone (excuse the crap quality)

frontnight.jpg

IMAG0093-1.jpg

Let me know what you think :)

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Does the gear surround mean orange silicone under the bonnet?

Bingo! In time though, got to sort out the stance first, get some coils on, top mounts, front arb and get looooow, space wheels out, and then start sorting out things like better brakes, under bonnet stuff and maybe a remap some time next year :)

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Deffo need to get some lows and its gonna be looking awesome :)

Cheers Lodey :)

Just been catching up on your thread, I like the work you're doing with the TT console, something dfferent and the kind of work that makes your car something special ;)

just gotta get saving for coilovers, ARB, top mounts and fitting now.....joy! :bleh:

Feb 22, 2006
Penzance Cornwall
Cheers bud. It's a bit different to a total transplant as I can't be assed with doing that. And like you say it will be different. Still a couple of bits to get done on it thou.

What top mounts are you thinking of getting and what coilovers? Really like the colour of your car. Was following one the other day. Looks real cool :)

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Haha still a decent bit of work! I give myself a pat on the back for things like stripping down and spraying the gear surround :bleh:

I'm thinking either Polybush or Powerflex top mounts, the Polybush ones give -10mm lowering over standard though. And I'm looking at the AP coils for a compromise of ride/handling/price. I had considered the JOM ones for a while but having researched the APs I'd rather pay the extra for my own piece of mind.

Feb 22, 2006
Penzance Cornwall
I'm thinking of getting the ones from psi tuning for top mounts. I have joms. Been on for about 2years now. Starting to feel a bit tired, if you know what I mean. AP are deffo worth the money from what I hear. :)

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
How do you find the JOMs for ride comfort and handling? It's the reviews that have swayed me towards the APs too, plus just keeping them greased when I service the car they should last a pretty long time :) then again 2 years is reasonable for the price you pay for the JOM kit.

Did you change the top mounts when you got your coilovers fitted?

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
So while I was in work Friday, a parcel arrived for me:

IMAG0097.jpg

I couldn't wait so opened it there and then and there were my 15mm MTec spacers

IMAG0098.jpg

I tried fitting them in my lunch break but couldn't get them on to the rear hubs. Spoke to the guy at MTec who said they hadn't had any trouble with these before so I got the front ones on and left it at that.

After a bit of research I discovered there is a dust cap over the rear hub nut that comes off easily with a few light knocks all round the lip with a hammer and chisel!

So it was dust cap off, spacers on all round.

Before:

IMAG0076-1.jpg

SAM_0273edit.jpg

After:

IMAG0101.jpg

IMAG0100.jpg

IMAG0102.jpg

The ride feels more sure footed and there feels to be a little less roll, either way it looks great and I can't wait for my coilovers to be fitted after New Year :D

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Cars looking good little bit of camber and lows then you'll b sport on bud

Cheers mate :)

Car's booked in at Awesome on the 3rd of January for coilovers with full set up and alignment so hopefully will have it sitting right then ;)

Love the interior for yours by the way, would get mine to to that quality if I had the money!

puchos

Apr 30, 2005
North Wales
Cheers mate :)

Car's booked in at Awesome on the 3rd of January for coilovers with full set up and alignment so hopefully will have it sitting right then ;)

Love the interior for yours by the way, would get mine to to that quality if I had the money!

If you fancy selling your lowering springs once you get your coilovers fitted give me shout mate ill take them off your hands! Car is looking good by the way, liking the wider stance with the spacers, coils will set it off nicely!:)