1.4 TSI Oil Consumption

Andy_Cup

Jul 5, 2011
Cheshire
The limit in the handbook is 0.5l in 600miles isn't it?

Nutkin, does yours use any oil now? I also had a replacement engine, it's started using oil again, not sure how much at the moment, pos.

old 'uns

Modern Life is Rubbish...
Mar 20, 2003
walsall
Visit site
anyone sat down & worked out how much extra it's costing in oil used per whatever miles?
in the sales brochures does it state oil use to be expected?
...and that oil is burnt away & expelled along with the rest of whatever comes out of exhaust so how will that affect emissions come 3 yrs time

BocaJunior

Hi

My bf just explained to me what they did to his car as he had this problem. They filled the oil to maximum level and then they weighed it. Then drove it 60 miles (100km) drained the car of oil and then weighed it again. It had used something like 50ml and Seat say it should use a maximum of 35ml (sorry, cant remember what measurement he said but it was definitely his used 50 and Seat say 35 lol)

Get them to do that i'd imagine as it got him a new engine put in the car :)

toathus

Feb 26, 2012
Had my Boc about 6 weeks now. When I collected it from the dealer it had an oil change a few days before. Checked the level and it was at the top of dipstick.

Since I've had it and put some 1500 odd miles on it I've noticed its been drinking oil. Used about 2/5ths of the hatched area on the dipstick.

Anyone have an idea as to how much oil it would take from the bottom of the dipstick hatched area to the top?

Oh, car's done 6200 miles or so..

Andy_Cup

Jul 5, 2011
Cheshire
As long as it's in warranty and test results show there is a problem then yes they should do, if you do have excessive consumption don't let them just fob you off and tell you it's normal.

There are also underlying issues related to high oil consumption, the oil must be getting past the rings which means low compression which will give a reduction in power and misfiring issues, one of my pistons showed a 45% loss in compression.
Also burning oil will effect emissions, when the MOT is due this could cause serious issues, and of course at that point it's out of warranty, good luck selling 3 year old car with no MOT because it failed on emissions and a rebuild is required.

AL90

Dec 14, 2011
Sheffield
Just checked my oil level for 1st time since i got a new engine and was surprised to see in 4000 miles its used almost a ltr of oil... i wasn't expecting it to have used any with having a new engine and all.
has anyone else had a new engines/rings and found that the problem is still there?

danwilko90

Dakota Red Bocanegra
Dec 26, 2010
Seaham
Just checked my oil level for 1st time since i got a new engine and was surprised to see in 4000 miles its used almost a ltr of oil... i wasn't expecting it to have used any with having a new engine and all.
has anyone else had a new engines/rings and found that the problem is still there?

That'l be fine by SEAT's standards i'd think mate.

RLyons

Sep 20, 2010
Mine's used 1.2litres in about 4500 miles, it's done 6,500... I didn't check the oil for about 3 or 4 weeks and the level was off the dipstick :shrug:

Hopefully it will improve, if it hasn't by the first service I will mention it to the garage. I also notice a sooty tailpipe. It's sootier than my friends diesel!

Nov 23, 2010
Dunfermline, Fife
As i type mine is in the dealers for a second year service also getting the oil weighed etc as part of my complaint about the consumtion... Was shocked to hear they had already performed the 100km test drive then drained the oil and re weighted it, when i called to get an update!!! I am not that overjoyed at the thought of some salesman/technician booting the arse out of it for 60 miles! I hate anyone else driving any car that i own... Waiting to get a call soon as they have had it for 2 whole days. Did say that if it did use excessive oil then it would be new pistons etc... I was under the impression it was just rings.
will update ones i get a call..

Update..
They need it till tomorrow as the have NOT done all the 60 miles it need before draining.. Good Grief!!
Just as well there is a new SEAT dealership opened up in edinburgh, seem to be getting pissed about by this one......

Last edited:

Andy_Cup

Jul 5, 2011
Cheshire
The consumption test instructions are very specific, not sure if they were posted here or on pistonheads, but not completing the required distance is one go should viod the test due to the engine having to warm up twice. I'll find the instructions later but they were specific, especially concerning cool down periods.

Nov 23, 2010
Dunfermline, Fife
The consumption test instructions are very specific, not sure if they were posted here or on pistonheads, but not completing the required distance is one go should viod the test due to the engine having to warm up twice. I'll find the instructions later but they were specific, especially concerning cool down periods.

According to SEAT and not the dealer, they consumption is measured over 1000kms and not 100kms. Dealer has had my car since monday at 0900 and they still have it now. Almost 3 days to do a second service and a oil consumption test. :shrug:

Not happy.

FIFESEAT by the way :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nov 23, 2010
Dunfermline, Fife
Ok got it back. In the 60 miles it used no oil after being weighed. So no further action. I did get a look a the consumption instructions on the official SEAT document and it did say 100kms and dynamic driving conditions....so there you go.
So going to check the oil again after 600 miles and see how such it takes to put it back to current level and take it from there..
Quite glad in a way that it does not need work done..

Dale-T

LOVING MY BOCANEGRA :)
Oct 31, 2011
Upminster, Essex
Ok got it back. In the 60 miles it used no oil after being weighed. So no further action. I did get a look a the consumption instructions on the official SEAT document and it did say 100kms and dynamic driving conditions....so there you go.
So going to check the oil again after 600 miles and see how such it takes to put it back to current level and take it from there..

hopefully they sought it out mate
got my car booked in as its using abit too much oil that what it should be

Nov 23, 2010
Dunfermline, Fife

Ok little update.

Done approx 390 miles since the service/oil weighing process and checked the oil today.

Its showing after 25 mins as just below 1/3 of the shaded area of dipstick.
Now waiting on the garage calling me back with advice.
Does anyone know how much oil it takes to fill this shaded area?

Aug 3, 2011
Top it up slowly little at a time and wait 5 or so mins. Usually about a litre so ive heard but not sure. WOuldnt advised just pouring a bottle in.

Jay

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members