K & N ruins the MAF?

cupratune

Oct 29, 2010
Stoke-On-Trent
mines been fine running the k&n ...... maf was already screwed when i brought the car so got it changed then had the k&n panel filter 7k miles on and still good!

t32er

its the oil used on the filter, it sticks to the sensor and fudges it, ppl say to use carb cleaner to clean the sensor BUT dont do this!!! carb cleaner (propper stuff) kills plastic...
i have a cleaning guid in my RR
if its an old filter you have the chance is that there ent a lot of oil on it now so should be ok, they normally work ok with out the oil any way but green is a better option (imo and a lot of others)

ya should have just posted in the thread ya read it in, and most of the time its answered in that post too but thats by the by

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Id be more worried about the amount of oil breathed back into the system via the PCV than the small amount of oil on a K&N Filter.

Gulfstream

Jul 31, 2010
Id be more worried about the amount of oil breathed back into the system via the PCV than the small amount of oil on a K&N Filter.

^ this.

My PCV system eject oil back at a rate which reaches my cone oil filter. Luckily I have a MAF less map.

t32er

the oil breather is after the maf, unless the mapping is a bit hard core then it wont ever go up to the maf, also there is (in most or the 20vt range) a tube that is in side the tip that the oilbreather connects too so it will only go downwards

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
The maf will get coated. Fact.

When you recirc on gear change, especially on mapped cars running more boost, the air can, and will, push oil vapour towards the MAF.

Why do you think so many people run catch tanks?

And this was on a non oil filter, the TIP was only on a few months as well. Notice the lack of oil where the MAF sits....

DSC03870.jpg

Last edited:

t32er

The maf will get coated. Fact.

DSC03870.jpg

it will if your running cold side....FACT
looks like your running cold side dude...

the top of my tip was clear, im now running a catch can BUT it was clear on the oem tip and on my aftermarket tip before the can was fitted
from your pic the DV is causing the oil issue to the maf, its blowing it in and its not from the oil breather, you can tell this as above where the dv should normally be fited its clear and oil free...
there is less oil if you run hot side than cold side, as cold side is cooler the oil is less vaporeised and more dense! hot side oil is vaporeised as its much hotter = less "oil" will be chucked back in the tip as its vapore it will mix with the air, go back in the turbo and back round the system...FACT (as you put it)

Last edited by a moderator:

t32er

yea it will still chuck oil in to the tip but hot side it is still hot and the oil is more of a vapore, cold side the air is more dense and the oil is less vaporised and more like oil particals than vapore
if its vaporised there is less chance of getting loads in the maf unless ya lazy on the throt after changing gear

its science not about me knowing best phil... think about it yea? no need to come across as being funny

t32er

oh and regarding catch cans, it depends on how they are hooked up, my pcv goes to the can then goes directly back to the tip so does still chuck oil vapours back in to the tip thats why i have left the longish straw from the niple on the tip that goes in to the tip, a lot of otheres have the can vent to atmos but you will find it normally smells but is a lot better at getting shat out the system

i just went and had a look at the maff end, i still have no oil up there, i have a bit near the DV but thats it on mine

Pyro

Pretty sure the PCV system has one way valves in it :whistle:

Edit I didnt read the while thread ;)