Appalling paintwork

westcountry boy

Hi all

Have got a 2010 ST SE Lux 143 in black magic - really pleased with the car.

Only one real grumble - PAINT! Although a company car, I keep it waxed (autoglym HD wax) and wash it almost weekly. When its clean - it looks the biz with the 18" fenix wheels.

had some bird s*** on the roof a couple weeks back. Dumped on there in the day - I got home from work to wash it off (very gently - loads of water!) and found that, within 12 hours of it being on there, the nasty two blobs of poo had etched 'orange peel effect' patches.

Have polished and polished the patches - and resorted to digging out an old bottle of T cut! still wouldn't shift it.

I know its all environmentally friendly water based paint these days, but this just seems crazy!

Doh

Koops

Dec 19, 2007
Weymouth
Mine's been bird pooped on and left for a few days before cleaning. Paint looks fine though (2010 silver ST). I guess all bird poo is not the same!

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
westcountry boy; I have a simlar problem with black magic also, it scratches & chips too easy. I cannot remember that happening on my daughters Leon 1P [56 plate] in the same colour ?!!??

Last edited:

Dark Andrew

Jan 25, 2011
I think the first thing I'm going to do when I pick up my new Exeo is take it over to "New Again" in Chelmsford and get the paint treated. I've used these guys before and they do an excellent job, unlike most dealers they take their time and fully prep the paintwork before applying the sealent. I know it will cost me about £200 but having read this thread I think it'll be £200 well spent.

westcountry boy

Do get it treated if you can - but i'm just annoyed in that I have waxed the blooming thing several times with Autoglym HD wax, thinking it would protect the paint.

Hey ho.

ste8270

Mine is Ada Blue, 1500 miles and i have just noticed a really bad stone chip on the bonnet, its right through the paint!! i have never known a car to chip so easily!!

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
your still on solvent clears, not waterbased, thats only the basecoat,, bird crap is very acidic, it will damage paint, even more if its warm, could poss be machine polished out though

Cbeal

Feb 27, 2005
My Black Magic one has had the same. I did try T-cut too and it only improved a small amount.

I saw one on holiday in Spain last year with the same symptom. If anyone does try machine polishing, please let us know the result

Dark Andrew

Jan 25, 2011
... and the same again on my work colleague's Phantom Black Audi A6, so it's not just SEAT's paint that's susceptible to this.

mcdonald

... and the same again on my work colleague's Phantom Black Audi A6, so it's not just SEAT's paint that's susceptible to this.

Maybe it's the quality of VAG paint in general.

I always keep a spray bottle containing water and some car shampoo/soap in the trunk for removing bird drops.
Just spray something of this on the sh#t and give it some time to soften, than remove carefully with a rag (don't push too hard). Spray some more to soften the sh#t if needed.
Be careful with drops from seaguls because these drops can contain shell pieces which can cause scratches when removing.
When the sh#t has been removed and the spot is dry again I spray some quick detailer on it.

westcountry boy

I do draw comfort from statements like this.......means i'm not alone :)

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
I have now put out an enquiry on clubseatexeo.com and exeo-concept.fr web sites and see what feed back I get
UPDATE:
It would appear that it is yet another EU directive and is based around the change to water based paints which are not as resilient as the earlier solvent based materials - no suprise there then!! M Benz & BMW are also having the same problem !!!. So the bottom line is get clear film over the fronts ?!@!?~

Last edited:

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
while there are verying qualities of clear, all manufactures use good brand clears, the top end bmw/merc/porsche use ceramic clears which are super tough,

the fact is that bird poo is very accidic and will etch into any paint, esp when it gets the sun on it, vw paint is actually know for being quite hard compared to alot of other manufactures, its just one of those things, if you see bird poo, wipe it off asap.

like wise you cannot stop stone chips, even the high power top end cars get them, the only sure way is to use clear flim to protect the paint,

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
while there are verying qualities of clear, all manufactures use good brand clears, the top end bmw/merc/porsche use ceramic clears which are super tough,

like wise you cannot stop stone chips, even the high power top end cars get them, the only sure way is to use clear flim to protect the paint,
I certainly agree you cannot stop stone chips, but some of the markings are scuff like which were more resiliant in the earlier build cars. and yes it would look like clear film is the only way to go. ..................................... I remember when white lead pigmented paint would last 25yrs on a house etc - today about 2yrs. - so much for progress

Wildie

Jun 29, 2011
well washed car today and all the bug juice on the bonet has gone and it`s left a nice mark in the paint paint still there but has raised area around where the bug was, dont the paint ever set or just keep moving, no doubt next time it get hot it will sort it`s self out.
Wonder how long before the paint drips off the car :p