LCR exhaust and clutch

adiohead

Mar 24, 2005
england
www.zetecs.com
My standard exhaust and clutch is coming up to be replaced.

What do people recommend?

I want the exhaust to look standard and not one of those ugly milltek ones.

Is it worth just popping down to Kwik-Fit?

Mar 16, 2007
SouthWales
Slow-fit are shocking imo from past experiences! Why do you need to replace the exhuast? You say its coming up to be replaced like its due in the service

=)

adiohead

Mar 24, 2005
england
www.zetecs.com
Slow-fit are shocking imo from past experiences! Why do you need to replace the exhuast? You say its coming up to be replaced like its due in the service

=)

The last MOT said:

Advisory Items
001 Exhaust has part of the system slightly deteriorated [7.1.1a]
002 Rear (supporting bracket) exhaust has part of the system slightly deteriorated [7.1.1a]

and when I got the timing belt/waterpump done recently they said the exhaust baffle or heat shield was rattling.

I'm pretty sure it's blowing.

adiohead

Mar 24, 2005
england
www.zetecs.com
It's the old Milltek I'm not keen on. Haven't seen the new one but the old one isn't the right oval shape.
But also heard lots of cracking issues with Milltek.

The Blueflame looks closer but wondered is it worth it, or just get a Seat standard replacement?
Anyone know how much Seat charge for an LCR system?

Anyone got advice on clutches?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
It's the old Milltek I'm not keen on. Haven't seen the new one but the old one isn't the right oval shape.
But also heard lots of cracking issues with Milltek.

The Blueflame looks closer but wondered is it worth it, or just get a Seat standard replacement?
Anyone know how much Seat charge for an LCR system?

Anyone got advice on clutches?

I would imagine the OEM LCR one would be similar price to an supermarket one and if I had to choose I'd go aftermarket. As for clutch this just depends on what your wanting to run. Again I would imagine there's not much difference in price between OEM and aftermarket.

What have you done to your car, what do you plan to do to your car and how do you drive it/plan to drive it in the future?

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
The OEM cat-back is about £500. Mine was corroded like yours so I went for a Milltek as it was over £100 cheaper.

Cupra R101

never had a problem with my Milltek and dont think any exhaust is exact same shape as OEM exhaust
Old Milltek pretty close seen some with a 4" circular exhaust looks odd to me
I had to replace my clutch went Southbend clutch as last one at JBS and cheaper and stronger than OEM

Mastodon2

Feb 26, 2011
Newcastle
I have a Milltek on my Leon Cupra R, it's only 6 months old so I assume its a new one.

From what I can gather from google images, it looks pretty similar to the original item really. It's not hellishly loud but it is louder than an average, non-sporty car and thankfully it's not droning or annoying. The noise it makes, particularly at low revs on a closing throttle, is absolutely sublime. Gets a really nice angry bark when you are pushing on too.

edit2.jpg

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
I have a Milltek on my Leon Cupra R, it's only 6 months old so I assume its a new one.

From what I can gather from google images, it looks pretty similar to the original item really. It's not hellishly loud but it is louder than an average, non-sporty car and thankfully it's not droning or annoying. The noise it makes, particularly at low revs on a closing throttle, is absolutely sublime. Gets a really nice angry bark when you are pushing on too.

edit2.jpg

That's the new style Milltek LCR exhaust there 100%. I bought the whole system 2 months ago and have exactly the same tailpipe. :)

I would never replace the OEM with another OEM jobbie!

See..
JensSLRPicts093.jpg

adiohead

Mar 24, 2005
england
www.zetecs.com
I would imagine the OEM LCR one would be similar price to an supermarket one and if I had to choose I'd go aftermarket. As for clutch this just depends on what your wanting to run. Again I would imagine there's not much difference in price between OEM and aftermarket.

What have you done to your car, what do you plan to do to your car and how do you drive it/plan to drive it in the future?

My car is standard and will probably remain that way. I don't like modding cars anymore, but I would probably consider a remap.

The new Milltek looks much better but I've heard too many horror stories about quality.

I would love to sell my LCR really but everyone wants one in perfect condition, it's as if they forget they're buying a 7 year old car.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
My car is standard and will probably remain that way. I don't like modding cars anymore, but I would probably consider a remap.

The new Milltek looks much better but I've heard too many horror stories about quality.

I would love to sell my LCR really but everyone wants one in perfect condition, it's as if they forget they're buying a 7 year old car.
Stick with an OEM clutch and flywheel but look into an aftermarket exhaust

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I understand what you're saying but you'd have to tell your insurance company about the modification and it will bump up the premium.
If they do try and bump it up for a CAT back then its not the sort of company you want to be with.
CAT back exhaust doesn't change you car enough to change the insurance premium

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
Miltek is one of the best exhaust systems you can buy. I always use them and never had a problem. I have to say i have always found the quality to be top. 1 in a 1000 may have a fault but thats the same with any company if not worse. Also with the life time guarantee what are you worried about? I have the old style and it looks oem.

Mastodon2

Feb 26, 2011
Newcastle
I was going to say, I don't know much about the products Milltek make for the LCR, I'm assuming there is only the one, but aside from a few niche companies making very specific products (a company who deals almost exclusively in 911 exhausts come to mind), Milltek are regarded by many as one of the best exhaust system manufacturers around.

Like I say, other companies like Akrapovic are also known for their excellent quality, but Milltek make a wide range of stuff and the build and sound quality are often cited as being excellent. I'm certainly very impressed with mine!

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Miltek is one of the best exhaust systems you can buy. I always use them and never had a problem. I have to say i have always found the quality to be top. 1 in a 1000 may have a fault but thats the same with any company if not worse. Also with the life time guarantee what are you worried about? I have the old style and it looks oem.

I was going to say, I don't know much about the products Milltek make for the LCR, I'm assuming there is only the one, but aside from a few niche companies making very specific products (a company who deals almost exclusively in 911 exhausts come to mind), Milltek are regarded by many as one of the best exhaust system manufacturers around.

Like I say, other companies like Akrapovic are also known for their excellent quality, but Milltek make a wide range of stuff and the build and sound quality are often cited as being excellent. I'm certainly very impressed with mine!
This used to be the case but recently there are increasing numbers of bad reviews about build quality.
I've seen first hand that a new Leon system on two seperate occaisions the tail pipes corroding badly, not nearly quality and definitly not a stainless steel tail pipe

miscreant

Feb 24, 2010
Have to say on my new miltek turbo back exhaust i put on in january after 2 weeks of being on and doing about 200 miles there is a nice ring of rust inside the tailpipe. Its the pipe from the back box that sits inside the oval tail pipe, doesnt look good when you look from behind, i though i was getting a stainles exhaust not a stainless parts joined together with mind steel.

Mike

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.