FMIC fitted! Fans playing up though...Ideas?

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Me and my mate Martin (phatchoonz1) on here, went and fitted my FMIC yesterday, and my what a job it proved to be.. Took most of the day due to a couple of problems.

Before I get onto those though, the car feels quicker, more responsive and alot smoother, even though I'm on my standard mapped 225. The spool up is so much more progressive and less sudden which I've been pleased with. We did some logs before using the old SMIC's with ambient temp at 20 degrees, and the reading on vag com when booted in 4th on a few runs was showing upto 35-40 degrees. However, we had no time due to the delays to get the important after logs with the FMIC.. I want to do them this week but now my fans are playing up and I want it sorted!

1st prob during the fitting of fmic - discovered when close to connecting last silicone join on the fmic that the stainless joiner was missing from the box :censored: - so we chopped up the old lower boost pipe and made our own! This delayed the fitting a fair amount!

Least pleasing though, was the fact that the bumper would NOT fit back on without cutting out the backing of the fog cover surrounds both sides. Basically they want to go slap bang onto the metal intercooler pipes down by where the fogs usually sit (they've now gone btw)
So we used a jigsaw and cut the backing out of this area causing a bit of a mess. None you can see from the front though and a bit of weight saved ;) Still, this slowed us right down. This wasn't mentioned at all in the instructions either to my disappointment.

Finally the bumper was on arches all bolted and we fired her up....
The car sounded lumpy and juddery as hell on idle, and almost laggy like on the 1st test run. All went fine..
2nd run I let my mate take her up the road and back, and sure thing, boost hose OFF! And it was the joiner we had made up that they forgot to send me... Problem was that oil off the oem intercooler pipe that goes down to meet the joiner on the right side had a small amount of oil which got onto the metal joiner. Cleaned both off and did the jubilee back up tight! Since then it's not come off. I've contacted the company I bought the fmic from though, and they are sending the joiner out to me so I'll change that over when it comes. We reset the throttle body using vag com and it cured the lumpiness and 'lag' feel I felt when driving. It had never been done and I'm guessing this has helped massively with the smoother/more responsive drive.

My now evident problem is the fans, I noticed it somewhat yesterday after we had done it but we did do 3/4 runs of 'full boost check the hoses are on tight and not going to pop off' so expected the fans to be working overtime after. But today, they kicked in this morning on the way to work twice and the same on the way home. One fan actually cut out yesterday after the runs, and bizarrely when prodded, decided to start working again!!
What would have caused this as I've never had them do this before until the fmic was fitted?
I love the fmic and how the car drives/feels under boost now but the fans are worrying the c**p out of me as I know they can be expensive! I wanted to get coilovers or my full exhaust this payday and want to know if I now have to forget that idea!! :(

wayne lcr

bored of it now
Mar 5, 2009
doncaster
not sure on the fans you ant knocked or damaged or nicked any or the wires?
as for the fog light covers i just took them all out and left them out.
ive you set the front mount at the right height?
have you got any pics?

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Here's some pics of the install

360car068.jpg

360car069.jpg

360car072.jpg

360car071.jpg

360car073.jpg

360car075.jpg

360car076.jpg

360car077.jpg

360car079.jpg

360car082.jpg

Last edited:

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
not sure on the fans you ant knocked or damaged or nicked any or the wires?
as for the fog light covers i just took them all out and left them out.
ive you set the front mount at the right height?
have you got any pics?

I'll check on the wires/connections tomorrow, any important one's there that are likely to cause one fan to cut out, but then when prod start up again? Very odd, but hoping it's a sensor or something we've accidentally knocked.
Yeah it's set in the right place, right height was too far forward at 1st but we wrong sided the bolts on the fixings and when we swapped them round it moved it back 2-3 inches. Looked way too far forward when it 1st went on.
See my pics above, only just got them onto my photobucket account.

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
sorry to hear you had these problems tom :(
i had no problems with mine, i had to cut the the bumper were the fogs are but i already knew that.
hope you get it sorted soon mate

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
sorry to hear you had these problems tom :(
i had no problems with mine, i had to cut the the bumper were the fogs are but i already knew that.
hope you get it sorted soon mate

It's alright Sam, most we're just small and part of the install which was a learning curve I guess! If I'd known about the cutting I'd have started the day before, lol. As I needed the car Monday 1st thing and we we're still getting the car sorted at half 7 sunday night without even doing the test runs :rolleyes:
The guys we bought our fmic's from we're very good today, I emailed them about 11am and they replied within an hour saying sorry the joiner wasn't in there and they will send it out to me.
It's all cut and trimmed around the fogs now anyway so it fits nice and snug. Just very baffled by the fans, might go and have a look around the sensors and cables nearby the fans now..
Sam do you know if there are any key sensors/cables to look out for that might be causing this?

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
sorry tom i cant think of any thing. fuse maybe? im really not sure.
i didnt finish fitting mine untill 10oclock sunday night, :(

greck999

SLOW work in progress....
Jul 10, 2009
Rugeley, Staffs
Front mount looks great Tom, sits nicely behind the bumper too. Cant see the point of people having huge intercoolers when theres not a huge opening for the airflow anyway. This seems like a nice size for the LCR. Will it be up to the job once remapped, Tom. :D and is that your mates black Leon in the pictures...

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
sorry tom i cant think of any thing. fuse maybe? im really not sure.
i didnt finish fitting mine untill 10oclock sunday night, :(

No probs mate. Just had her running for 15 mins out there on idle and the fans didn't kick in at all, but my drive to/from work has never caused the fans to come on vocally before so it's just worried me a bit today. Going to check over whatever I can get to when there's more light. Maybe tomorrow on lunch while it's at the work car park.
Another thing to mention was the right hand side light packed up last night at some point during the fitting of the intercooler... Checked that connection seems fine. Gotta source a sidelight to replace it though.

Fitting can take ages indeed Sam, are you happy with how it's performed since then? Do you use your car everyday and felt any change from day one with it fitted upto now? As in the ecu adapting more..?

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Front mount looks great Tom, sits nicely behind the bumper too. Cant see the point of people having huge intercoolers when theres not a huge opening for the airflow anyway. This seems like a nice size for the LCR. Will it be up to the job once remapped, Tom. :D and is that your mates black Leon in the pictures...

Yeah I got it because I liked the size and the price compared to others. I want to get the logs done now it's fitted but I want to know my fans are ok 1st before I go doing some foot to the floor in 4th runs to measure the intake temps compared to using the old SMIC's.

It'll be upto the job fine when it's mapped closer to 300bhp, it's rated closer to 400bhp and it's never going near that. To 300bhp enjoy it for a bit longer then move on probably..

And yea that's my mates black LCR in the pics, it's stage 2 Revo'd and sounds the nuts. Full piper turbo back...

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
Fitting can take ages indeed Sam, are you happy with how it's performed since then? Do you use your car everyday and felt any change from day one with it fitted upto now? As in the ecu adapting more..?

yes im over the moon tom, the car pulls a lot harder all the way to the red line. i notice this straight away on my first run. to me its the best mod so far :)

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
yes im over the moon tom, the car pulls a lot harder all the way to the red line. i notice this straight away on my first run. to me its the best mod so far :)

Defo agree with you there. You only realize how silly the old SMIC's are once you take the bumper off and have a good look at the design of it all....

FMIC's should have been standard on LCR's!

What you think I should do about my fans if it turns out to be more than a sensor or loose connection? Don't wana take it to the stealers who'll charge me loads to look at it then likely say replace the lot at £700!

turbin

That looks like the TX Autosport FMIC I got from fleabay. Loving it do death:

turbin

me too, you can apparently keep them if you trim the plastic like the instructions said.. but I didn't and went for some short foggers, also from fleabay.

sorted. Think these short fogs actually illuminate better than the OEM ones. Still H3 bulbs.

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
me too, you can apparently keep them if you trim the plastic like the instructions said.. but I didn't and went for some short foggers, also from fleabay.

sorted. Think these short fogs actually illuminate better than the OEM ones. Still H3 bulbs.

Mate my kit came with no instructions about trimming plastic!

Your fogs look neat and tidy in the pic. I'm personally leaving fogs off now though, I barely use them ever and it's a bit less weight saved ;)

Jun 20, 2010
Norfolk
Looks nice and neat behind there anyway :) . . was the trimming of the foglights a pain, or can you just take them out and leave the grills in without trimming anything? ill be looking to get this kit soon hopefully and i dont wanna be getting in a muddle lol

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
tom... daft one, you didnt undo the connectors for the fans by mistake when you undid your fogs?

then in haste to get it fitted forget to reconnect??

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Looks nice and neat behind there anyway :) . . was the trimming of the foglights a pain, or can you just take them out and leave the grills in without trimming anything? ill be looking to get this kit soon hopefully and i dont wanna be getting in a muddle lol

Nice kit mate well happy with it. But the cutting was a bit of a pain yeah, took an hour or so to get it perfect, bumper on, bumper off about 6 times until it was spot on. Note the bumper wasn't fully connected each time just pulled over the front to see if we had enough space. my advice is take the fogs out completely and leave them out, then cut all the plastic out (mind the outside air temp sensor) and trim this until the bumper fits over the intercooler. it won't fit without cutting, no way.

good install pics!

another post thats making me want to buy a FMIC. looks really good quality.

cheers! thought I'd get a few while we was there. yeah really pleased with the quality, just it didn't mention cutting anything and they forgot to send me the last metal joiner, apart from that the cooler and all the hoses and jubilee clips are spot on. looking forward to doing some logs with it in a few days or so to read the temps..

tom... daft one, you didnt undo the connectors for the fans by mistake when you undid your fogs?

then in haste to get it fitted forget to reconnect??

lol, don't think so.. :whistle:

this would mean the fans wouldn't work at all though right? as they've been coming on and off since it was fitted. this morning on way to work though, fans we're fine :confused:

I'm going to check whatever connectors I can get to bit later. but has anyone got a picture to make it easier for me ;)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.