• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

bleeding brakes.....dot 2. dot 4??

S17EW O

I am soon going to be doing discs and pads all round on my lcr 225....what break fluid can I use....I have access to some good quality dot 4, could I use this?

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
always thought it was minimum dot 4 as standard

doesn't it say on the cap ?

S17EW O

I aint got a clue.....been told most cars are dot 2....doesn't say anything on the bottle. As its not supplied to the public. Its just put in a plain bottle....its h542 0x8

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
i think it went up in scale dot 2/3/4 mineral then 5 was silicone and then back to mineral with 5.1 always runs me in circles

as you said the water soaking and boiling point spec of the specific is most useful

S17EW O

So this dot4 will be good enough stuff then....next question is its obviously going to be a different quality to what's in it now. Should I drain the lot and refil it with new? Where's the best place to drain it from?

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
So this dot4 will be good enough stuff then....next question is its obviously going to be a different quality to what's in it now. Should I drain the lot and refil it with new? Where's the best place to drain it from?

Have a search mate there is loads on this subject, and no you should not drain all the fluid out, in fact thats the last thing you should do.

As said lot's of info. but quick tips, get a pressure bleeder, and work in from the furthest caliper from the MC, making sure to keep the resevoir topped up at all times!

Also quick info about wet/dry boiling points:

All brake fluid is hygroscopic so will absorb water over time meaning the boiling point will change (can't remember what %'age water content the wet boiling point is quoted at off hand!) -- For people changing their brake fluid regularly (like race/track cars) a higher dry boiling point will be more beneficial because you'll change the fluid before it takes on too much moisture. In real life though, you'll want one that has a better wet boiling point.

Basically read the back of the label, it'll help you choose between fluids.

------------------

P.S. That info is more for folk using the search facility - I know you have some sitting about! Just hope it hasn't been opened?

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Im quite happy with halfords 5.1 as with trade discount its silly cheap so I can change it nice and regulary which is perfect for the cars intended use. It is not the best as stated above you can get better dot4 or super dot4 fluids. Only thing is 5.1 fluids in general must meet a minimum standard which is quite high where as dot 4 can be practically anything so cheap brands should be avoided. Id go for something like the motul or the castrol super dot4 and you wont have a problem.

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
Gunson eezibleed and alot of patience and socket extensions!!!!! a relitively easy job to do and take the charge pipe off it so much easier for access. and dont forget the clutch!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.