missing wheel bolt.

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
When changing my alloys today, i took the centre caps off the FR alloys to find a wheel bolt missing. How safe is it to drive around on only 4 of the 5 wheel bolts. Looks like the threads knackered hence why a bolt wasnt put back in. Looks like i need a new rear hub. Ive done 7,000 miles since owning it with only 4 bolts on the right rear :(

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
When changing my alloys today, i took the centre caps off the FR alloys to find a wheel bolt missing. How safe is it to drive around on only 4 of the 5 wheel bolts..... Ive done 7,000 miles since owning it with only 4 bolts on the right rear :(

I think you have answered your own question mate! Obviously its not desirable but as long as the other bolts are torqued up to the right amount, it shouldn't (and hasn't) cause a problem. Notice any vibration? A new/used hub would be easy and cheap to get hold of anyway if you wanted.

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
I think you have answered your own question mate! Obviously its not desirable but as long as the other bolts are torqued up to the right amount, it shouldn't (and hasn't) cause a problem. Notice any vibration? A new/used hub would be easy and cheap to get hold of anyway if you wanted.

yes true, its worrying though when you relise something like that after the amount of driving ive done like it. Didnt feel anything odd when driving with only 4 bolts. I'll just take it easy with local driving and try and get a new hub next week.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
A decent garage, or even just a good wheel-and-tyre place (i.e. not Kwikfit) should be able to run a tap throught the threads to clear them out. If the hub threads have failed it may be possible to helicoil the hole. Helicoil can be expensive though, and a new/secondhand hub might be cheaper.

xr2turbo

Nov 30, 2009
norfolk
i did the same, centre off 'hey wheres that gone'

lucky i found a golf thats already been stripped had the bolts on the seat, should have grabbed 2 but ill be goin there tomorra, may pick up another if you are in need

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
It is quite easy to damage a thread, it's usually done by the numpties fitting wheels with air driven socket wrenches instead of torque wrenches. But they can also be recut fairly easily, in fact I've managed to do it by careful use of an existing bolt. It just needs to be wound in at the correct angle, and carefully worked through the damage.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.