My dilemma...

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
I didn't really know where to put this so i though here would be a good enough place. Moderators, please feel free to move it to a more appropriate section. :)

Right here is my dilemma...

I've been stuck on wanting to buy a Leon Mk1 for the past 2 years and have always wanted a Cupra R 20vT (225). Now i have some available funds i can start looking properly but i'm noticing a few things which are hindering my search, namely i'm looking for a 2004/2005 year, with low mileage. I think i may be asking a lot tbh but i've found a few and the prices they are asking for are quite a lot considering.

All things considered i am now at a t-junction:

Leon Cupra R (20vT 180) or
Leon Cupra R (Tdi 150)

Both are in my price range but i'd like some extra input as to which one i should go for.

I love the nippyness and mod-ability of a petrol but the torque and economy of a diesel is also appealing. Help! Lol! :)

I'd like to add that i'm not really a boy racer, but i do like modifying cars. :)

(Apologies for this, could someone move this to the Leon Mk1 section please? Sorry to be a pain....)

Last edited:

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
You're going to start the petrol v diesel war again lol. From a netural point of view drive both and make a choice.

Now from my personal view get the pd, just as tunable as the petrol and you'll be part of satans gang :)

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Hahaha! I like it! Thanks Volvic!

Tbh the more i look at it the more i'm getting swayed by the diesels... roll on mid February!

The 150bhp model is apparently putting out about 320 ft/lb of torque which i'm liking a lot! From what i can glean from my limited driving experience petrols are easier to modify and tune, but diesels give a bigger boost for your money, am i right?

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
Same here, if I was buying again now I'd go for the diesel. Fed up with 300-320 miles from £65 of V-power. ;)

I'm with them; FR+ or deisel cupra with a few mods would be great, but it is no petrol :p having said that, I only get around 230miles from the LCR's tank so a deisel would make alot of sense!

I'm with them; FR+ or deisel cupra with a few mods would be great, but it is no petrol :p having said that, I only get around 230miles from the LCR's tank so a deisel would make alot of sense!

That's what I mean..same basic mods on an FR+ as I have on my LC and I'd have 190-200bhp, loads of torque, and 50mpg.

Oh well!! :lol:

TwoZeroAlpha

Diesel Powered
Jan 2, 2010
Colchester
I've just got a Tdi 150 and it's awesome, you wouldn't know it's a diesel once you get going, until you find out about all that torque you've got. Threw me driving home last night, forgot what I was driving, put my foot down and had a "wow that's quick" moment :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members