Uniroyal Rainsport 2 vs Goodyear GSD3! + Help Please :)

Uniroyal Rainsports 2 vs Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's!?

• Uniroyal Rainsports 2

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
Right I know there is many threads about tyres but just a simple click will help me out laods!!

Need to sort out 4 corners, previously had GSD3's but they seem to have lasted no time @ all, heavy driving I put it down too :) !

Found very good reviews for Uniroyal Rainsport 2's and never really heard about them... but feeling a change is in order so is there any feedback about them?

I have also got some horrible knocking coming from front suspension very occasionaly, worse in the wet weather... going over speedbumps and it sounds like something is going to fall off as there is a horrible crunch too :(

ALSO :D Seen some steam coming from under the bonnett, no loss of coolant from what i can see, seem to have lost a little power and my MPG is rubbish!

Any ideas? Car needs some good TLC!!!!
Ibiza Sport 130 2004 btw :)

-Stu
Thankyou!!!!!

bertrum

No experience with either tyre so can't help there.

The knocking at the front could be ARB bushes, or even the TCA bushes. Searchy...

Steam from under the bonnet, or actually from on top of the bonnet... i.e hot engine, warm bonnet, cold weather = steam.

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
Possibly steam but small loss of power and pants mpg? Used to be able to get 50+ on good journey, now i struggle to get it above that :(

andreww

Mar 31, 2008
Cornwall and Cheltenham
Get the rainsports! They are great! I have loads more grip now compared to Toyo T1-R's, I have never used GSD3 on my ibiza, however on my old car they did not last long and were no better grip than T1-R's.

The tread is very deep on the rainsports and they wear well in my opinion, no real signs of wear after squeeling my way around the nurburgring last september..still loads of tread left now.

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
Thanks 4 ur replies guys!

I dont know wether to take the risk and go for the Uniroyals... kwikfit are doing an online offer where you book and pay on the GSD3's and go to the garage for...

4x £83.75 which is pretty dam good for them!! So with disposal and balacing total is £377, not bad?!

Either that or order the Uniroyals from mytyres.co.uk for £75.10 each x4 = £300.40 and ask someone nicely to fit them, dont know how much ppl charge for tyre fitting....?
-Stu

Apr 1, 2007
get goodyear excellence, good rain use and good summer use, i wouldnt hesitate to recommend them over the others

matfennell

Nov 10, 2009
York
Stu if u did want uniroyals then i can get ya 1 brand new one and one which has done only 20miles for £45 (for both of them)

You would need to collect but just seen some advertised very close to my home - let me know mate and sorry i can only get ya 2

oh and they are 185/60/14

Rory101

Oct 11, 2005
The Uniroyal's will be very grippy but won't last 5 minutes! If they're £45 a pair then no problem, but if you buy new at fast-fit prices then it might be.

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
Stu if u did want uniroyals then i can get ya 1 brand new one and one which has done only 20miles for £45 (for both of them)

You would need to collect but just seen some advertised very close to my home - let me know mate and sorry i can only get ya 2

oh and they are 185/60/14

Ah, thanks 4 keeping an eye out but I need 205/45/16's.! If only I was that lucky :)

The Uniroyal's will be very grippy but won't last 5 minutes!

Pretty sure my GSD3's didnt last me very long @ all :( and they were expensive, still are! I'm leaning towards the Uniroyale Rainsports 2 for these reasons..
1) Only ever had the GSD3's on the car so nothing to compare too
2) Cheaper but quite a significant amount
3) Great, seem to be better reviews than the GSD3's

How much do you reckon someone would charge to have 4x tyres fitted with balancing etc.? Approx?

Thanks again
-Stu :)

Rory101

Oct 11, 2005
I can't complain, got 17,000 out of my last pair of rainsports on the front.

Went for the same again and have 8,000 on these ones with plenty of tread to go.

Oh, fair enough. I had Uniroyal Rallye 180's put on a company car once. Not my choice, the designated fastfit place we had to go to just fitted those. Grip was awesome but they lasted 6K miles and there was hell to play as we got surcharged by the leasing company if tyres lasted less than 30K.

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
There is no risk involved really, the Rainsports are great!

I won't put anything else on my cupra tdi. Performance is as good or better than 'premium' tyres and cost much less. They seem to last the same as well - I get 12,000 minimum on the front without rotating (and I like going round corners fast :)). Only downside is there's a bit more tyre noise

Not used GSD3 to compare and I'm not bothered about trying them, the rainsports are plenty good enough. Depending on where you are, Britannia Tyres in Coventry, Nuneaton and Hinckley are able to get them so much cheaper than elsewhere. I believe they may have a place in Bristol but not certain

matfennell

Nov 10, 2009
York
alright stu sorry man haha

didnt think u would have 14s but thought worth a check!

hope ya get them sorted

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Rainsport 2s all the way :)

After reading many reviews of people who'd tried them I gave them a go.
The wet AND dry grip is phenomenal.

Interestingly, look at the bottom of this page:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

Notice that the Goodyears are the tyre that most people show interest in, yet the Rainsport 2 is the top rated (if you ignore the 2 winter ones above it).

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Either that or order the Uniroyals from mytyres.co.uk for £75.10 each x4 = £300.40 and ask someone nicely to fit them, dont know how much ppl charge for tyre fitting....?
-Stu
Just get a price from mytyres (or wherever gives the cheapest online price), then see if your local tyre dealer can match them.
I'd suggest a ballpark figure of £10/tyre for fitting.
But if your tyre dealer don't ask or twig that the mytyres price you're quoting doesn't include fitting, you might strike lucky :)
Their usually open to negotiation though, more so if you want 4.

FR3000

Feb 14, 2008
North East
Interesting thread...
...since I'm coming up on a tyre change in the next few weeks.

Just to add to the discussion - I had Michelin Primacy Pilot HX on the car when I bought it (2005 FR Petrol) - due to large amount of motorway miles and rotating tyres front to back I squeezed 40,000 miles out of the set.

Got Good Year GSD3's after that as the HX pilots weren't available anymore and they were much cheaper too (I paid £328 fitted about 2 years ago)

Had about 30,000 out of them and they are almost on the limits - good grip wet and dry and although they have a little less feel they hold on longer before understeer develops. They are quieter than most other tyres at motorway speeds too but they have proved to be pretty useless in the recent snow and ice.

Not sure what to get next
Michelin Pilot Exalto
Good Year GSD3
Uniroyal Rainsport 2
:confused:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.