Stage 1 too much boost?

robjnr

258 spanish donkeys
Oct 24, 2007
Bristol
After much debate my Stage 1 experience has been short lived. My car is back to its originally form and I've now washed my hands of the Bluefin bad experience.

They 3rd file was a lot better but not right, so I decided that I would rather have a car they runs smoothly than a car that doesn't work at all.

I read all sorts of stories of MKV Golf GTI owners with similar problems with the Bluefin remap.

Thanks again for everyone's support on this one.

I will still be a happy lad with my Cupra in standard form.

Cheers

RickyD

Maybe try another remap?

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Yeh mate. The warranty is all but gone. Why not go with someone else? APR, GIAC, Revo and others seem to have no unhappy customers.

RickyD1975

Audi A6 2.0TDI 170 S-Line
Jan 2, 2008
North East
Yeh mate. The warranty is all but gone. Why not go with someone else? APR, GIAC, Revo and others seem to have no unhappy customers.

Warranty runs out in March, so that's not a big issue anyway. Standard form is enough for me after being sickend of the Bluefin experience.

My car even went in Imobilised mode whilst trying to put the car back to standard. I coudn't even start the car and that really worried me.

I think the Leon is a good car although all these horror stories I read of faultly DV's, fuel pumps that cannot handle stage 2 fuelling, worn cam followers, excessive carbon deposits on the valves just worries to hell out of me and it personaly puts me off the whole modifying scene.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Warranty runs out in March, so that's not a big issue anyway. Standard form is enough for me after being sickend of the Bluefin experience.

My car even went in Imobilised mode whilst trying to put the car back to standard. I coudn't even start the car and that really worried me.

I think the Leon is a good car although all these horror stories I read of faultly DV's, fuel pumps that cannot handle stage 2 fuelling, worn cam followers, excessive carbon deposits on the valves just worries to hell out of me and it personaly puts me off the whole modifying scene.

I would not worry about it mate.

Stage 1 code should not need a fuel pump upgrade contrary to what Superchips told you. DV's on the Cupra dont tend to go faulty as they are away from the heat of the turbo, and you can get a D Spec one for a little over £30 anyway. Cam followers will wear regardless of the car being tuned or not - your car and my car are probably sisters going by their age, and my cam follower has always been in good nick when checked. Carbon deposits on the valves is a result of it being an FSI engine and again therefore not a result of being tuned.

Have you actually been in a tuned Cupra (not a SC BF one)?

RickyD1975

Jan 2, 2008
North East
:( iam a bit put off blufin now from your bad experience......

I would suggest giving it a try as there's nothing to loose. If your not happy and experience the same issues just send it back within 7 days for a refund.

Most of the cars I've read about with BF run fine, I must be one of the unlucky ones.

If your not happy with the BF then you could also pay the extra and get it Revo'd which is the most popular choice.

soory to heasr you've sent it back, i've never had any issues with bluefin and superchips have always been good at offering support, don't give up on the remap route have a go with something else :) it really is worth it.

RickyD1975

Jan 2, 2008
North East
I would not worry about it mate.

Stage 1 code should not need a fuel pump upgrade contrary to what Superchips told you. DV's on the Cupra dont tend to go faulty as they are away from the heat of the turbo, and you can get a D Spec one for a little over £30 anyway. Cam followers will wear regardless of the car being tuned or not - your car and my car are probably sisters going by their age, and my cam follower has always been in good nick when checked. Carbon deposits on the valves is a result of it being an FSI engine and again therefore not a result of being tuned.

Have you actually been in a tuned Cupra (not a SC BF one)?

To be fair I haven't been in a tuned Cupra. All I can say that Stage 1 is in a totally different league to standard.

My aim was only to extract a little more power, hence picking the BF over the Revo or similar.

RickyD1975

Jan 2, 2008
North East
soory to heasr you've sent it back, i've never had any issues with bluefin and superchips have always been good at offering support, don't give up on the remap route have a go with something else :) it really is worth it.

Thanks Steve, I'm afraid I'm going to leave it standard now after all the hassle. I must have spent nearly 5 hours in total faffing on with it. I had a total of three files from Superchips and enough was enough.

All the hype of plug n play is load of rubbish in my case. In the end I couldn't start the car as it was in immobilsed mode, so panic struck.

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Just have a go with revo or gaic mate, at least you actually go to a dealer with a person qualified to put it on rather than downloading a map over the internet and doing it yourself, if theirs problems they'll sort it for you.

Revo has 30 days money back rather than 7 for a reason imo!

Then if you need further assistance ring em or ask them on here like i did like 2 days ago lol.

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007

I had a bluefin on my FR TDI and did the same thing, errors logged and didnt improve performance much so tried to remove and failed to write standard map!!!

Had to have it toed to the dealers and they fitted a new ECU under warrenty thank god

Now have a remap from another company (local tuner) and all is fine no errors and no problems with DPF (on the diesel).

I will never touch Superchips again, but thats my bad experience with them

Al

Aug 29, 2005
To be fair I haven't been in a tuned Cupra. All I can say that Stage 1 is in a totally different league to standard.

My aim was only to extract a little more power, hence picking the BF over the Revo or similar.

You do realise you can detune the likes of a Revo map to wherever it suits you though dont you?

You have 3 settings

1) Boost
2) Timing
3) Fuel

Pretty simple especially as you have it set for you by the reseller, and on a stock car, this will be Boost 6, Timing 5 or 6 and Fuel 9 for performance settings, and these settings are well within fuelling and boost limits of the car on stock components.

"Standard" for Revo is Boost 6, Timing 3 and Fuel 9.

If you ran Boost 6, Timing 4 and Fuel 9 you would be somewhere between and have the increase you want.

You only need to look through the forum to see how many people have a remap and have absolutely no issues - regardless of which map from APR to GIAC to Revo to some of the smaller companies.

I can understand your trepidation - something most people will have when "tinkering" with their car for the first time, but I think you have been desparately unlucky with SC although it appears to me at least that they seem to have more issues than the other tuning companies with regard to their maps and support from what I have read on this and other forums which is a shame considering theirs is the only map which would be invisible to stealers.

Perhaps if you got a run in a tuned Cupra which has no issues, you will change your mind. If you are keeping the car, I think you are going to miss out on something special. Dont give up mate - try another remap. You WILL love it :)

Last edited:

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
RickyD1975 - i,m more than happy to take you out in mine if you want to know what a breathed on Cupra goes like. Just pm me anytime and we,ll work something out. Seems a shame as your car has so much potential for fun:D

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
i echo what blade says above. drop me a line anytime and we'll sort some thing out.

get yourself the revo trial here. itll revert back to standard in 5 hours and if nothing else itll help confirm the condition of your clutch.

red rum didnt win 3 grand nationals by stopping at the first obstacle it came across!

Aaroncupra

Last edited by a moderator:

Poverty

get a revo or giac map. I could never own my cupra in std form as its **** compared to mapped. Car feel really ashmatic and unresponsive without the map.

I don't think that going to a dealer would be any benefit compared to plug n play, yes if you car goes wrong its at the dealers but they would still have to contact the developer for technical back up. When I had my focus I was about the 3 person to ever have blufin, and the other 2 were development cars, they tried a few different maps on mine and then fro some reason my car rejeceted the handset, so they uploaded the map via a laptop and sent me on my way, the next day they arrived with a new handset to my place of work, which was around an hour away with a new handset, up loaded it and tested it and it was fine and i never had any further problems.

RickyD1975

Jan 2, 2008
North East
RickyD1975 - i,m more than happy to take you out in mine if you want to know what a breathed on Cupra goes like. Just pm me anytime and we,ll work something out. Seems a shame as your car has so much potential for fun:D

You'll scare the living daylights out of me Ryan. Thanks for the kind offer[B)]

I'm a nervous passenger at the best of time and refuse to get in any of the following tuned cars my mate has (220bhp Toyota Starlet Stripped out, 400bhp 350z and 900bhp+ Supra)

RickyD1975

Jan 2, 2008
North East
I've taken on board everyone's kind comments above and I will seriously consider looking at the Revo map in the future.

In the short-term I've decided to pay off the outstanding balance of the other halfs 1 year old C1, so that's one car now paid for.

I might speak to the Revo agent in Blaydon and take a trial to see if the same problem as the BF exists or not.

If I'm happy with it I may consider getting it done March/April time.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise