First Seat - do I take the plunge and opt for Ibiza 1.4 Sport?

who_me

Hi All,

First post here, have found this forum very informative, you guys and girls are so helpful! :)

I'm looking at trading in my 4 year old 1.2 VW Polo for a Ibiza 1.4 5dr Sport...(choosing this model because of the 0% finance on it atm). Did consider the ecomotive but as I found out from this site, I don't do enough mileage to warrant the diesel power. Went and had a look round the local Seat Dealership and was lucky enough to take the courtesy car out for a test drive (there was only 1 salesman on duty today so he let me take it for a spin). Drove nicely (though it is a new car so it's expected), though speedometer was a little difficult to read, will take some getting used to. Unfortunately when I got back there was a queue of people waiting to talk to him so didn't get a chance to get down to the nitty gritty of it all...

...just wondering whether this would be a good second car for me to get. It pretty much has everything I'm after, can't think of any extras that I would want (ipod dock would have been nice) and has a lot more than what my current car has. I'm really no good at the whole negotiating thing, but if it's 0% finance would they still be willing/able to drop the price?? I wanna get the best deal I can (as anyone does).

He did say that the car I had driven today would probably be up for sale in 6-8 weeks time and they generally knock the price down £1-2k so that's something else to consider I guess.

So what do you think? Should I take the plunge and go for it?? I did look at their used cars but the only 1.4 sport they had was in the citrus/greeny yellow colour which I wasn't too fond of...

Ibiza 09

I have also test driven this car and did consider it but i got the SE 5 door as it was better value for money but i would go and negotiate with the dealership and I would agree you should also try and get it abit lower you dont know if you dont ask. If he cant give you the discount you should try to get him to throw in a few freebies i.e car mats, ipod aux etc... let us know how you get on with this matter!

kev64

Sep 12, 2009
Chislehurst
I've got the 1.4 sport 5dr and i am well chuffed with it. Bear in mind that if you go for the ex-demo (when it becomes one!) you will have to take it as it comes with no extra options etc. and being an ex-demo i very much doubt it would qualify for the 0% finance thats currently being offered.
My advice would be to go for factory build or see whats "in the system" and by that i mean what is sitting in the Seat UK compounds at the docks to get an earlier delivery date. Thats what i did and got 90 per cent of the options i wanted on the car (folding mirrors being the exception in my case)

Dave217

Ibiza Mk 5 owner
Nov 2, 2009
Warrington
hey, i did exactly the same as your thinking

this is my second car i went for the 1.4 3 dr and it was the best decision ive ever made,

i also used to have a VW polo =]

i would suggest following kev64's advice and asking what is at the factory,

you sound like your getting it on finance (Asking about APR) so why not get the car you really want as you will be paying for it for 4/5 years etc...

i went for a factory build so i got exactly what i wanted (bar the ESP as this wasnt on the car when it was delivered even though i ordered it, but its all sorted so smiles all round)

who_me

Thanks Guys!

I rang the dealer up today to discuss finance. I'm most likely going to go for a new one (because of the 0% finance)...apparently they're changing over to a new stock checking system or something so he can't tell me if the car I want is in stock anywhere until next week.

The only extra that I'd want is the metallic paint...just trying to think of what else I could need but even the basic 1.4 5dr sport has a lot more than my 1.2 polo e.g. a/c, electric windows, remote central locking, a light in the boot (I know little things but I really missed not having that in the boot of my car late at night)...shame that audio controls aren't on the actual steering wheel though instead of where it is now...would have been nice to have an ipod dock in there although it does have the aux line in socket which is a plus..I take it i just get the cable, connect the two and voila - music! (without the need of an FM Transmitter?) I don't have that much knowledge of cars so ESP?? Just looking at the additional extras I could opt for...the electric folding mirrors actually sound like a good idea...i'm always forever pushing my little side mirrors in whenever i park along the main road or in the drive and £49 isnt really a bad price for it...something to think about.

The price he gave me was £11,730 with metallic paint, apparently the only discount he can give is 2% because of the 0% finance deal they have going on at the moment...I'm sure a better negotiator could have gotten more but i'm just no good couldn't even get the chap to throw in free mats :( (oh well will just have to take the ones out of my polo instead)

Just gotta drop my car off for him to check out and find out what price he can actually give to me which will then determine whether i'm going to go ahead and be the brand new owner of a Seat Ibiza...I'm actually getting pretty excited at the thought...maybe even see if he'll let me take it out for another test drive...just to be sure :D

Last edited by a moderator:

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
yep, leccy mirors are a p[roper nice little touch, just turn the dial when you put your lights on/off and jobs done, no running round your car in the rain and cold.
other option, you might wanna look at is the 17" alloys, they really do make the car look much better with those big arches.
a nice chunky 1.5metre 3.5mm stereo - 3.5mm stereo cable will do the job for your ipod.

WozzaM

Sep 16, 2009
Malta
Remote for the stereo is better on the steering coloumn anyway. Used to have them on the steering wheel in my old car but i find it easier knowing exactly where the controls are by touch when driving down a long bend etc.

who_me

Yep went down to the dealer today to get a price for my polo...gotta wait and see whether he can get hold of a 1.4 sport with metallic paint and electric folding wing mirrors...if he can't get one delivered before the end of dec (and thus no more 0%) then I know he can get his hands on a basic 1.4 sport with no electric mirrors and it might be a case of going for that...

The alloys on the sport comes with 16" as standard so I'm happy with that :D

Thanks for the tip re: aux-in Night Flight, will know what I need to buy now!

kev64

Sep 12, 2009
Chislehurst
16's look ok but the optional 17's just give it that extra sportyness without making the ride much harsher - you just have to be careful when parking of the kerbs with the lower profile tyre - otherwise they will get ruined !

Dave217

Ibiza Mk 5 owner
Nov 2, 2009
Warrington
yeah the 17" do look the part

img2188w.jpg

golfgtipaul

Jul 14, 2009
i had a year old vw polo and traded it in for my ibiza tdi! thats three people on this thread that have traded from vw polo's to ibizas. Not good news for vw????

who_me

I've finally taken the plunge and ordered the car :D
Just the standard specs (plus metallic paint) though as electric folding mirrors would have been a factory order (so I'm told) which would have taken delivery time into the new year (and away from the 0% finance offer as was told that'd end 31st dec). Hopefully get a phonecall next week to let me know of delivery date.
What's the likelihood on getting the mats and tank of petrol thrown in going to be? I didn't get that much off the total of the car, already asked about mats before and got no as the answer but every car my family have gotten the mats have been thrown in so I wanna try my luck again...must get more practice with negotiating skills!

Oh I've also been told about the servicing plans they have at the moment...would it be worth it to opt for the servicing (@ an extra £13p/m) or go for the servicing and maintenance package (@ £17.50p/m)? Is it worth getting either of these or just paying as and when the servicing comes up and repairs are required? Which is how I've done them before.

Last edited by a moderator:

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
I wouldn't bohter with the servicing pack tbh, i tihnk a first service costs around £150, 12 months at £13 p/m works out as more than that. You shouldn't need any repairs doing, it's a brand new car so will have the warranty should anything go wrong.

re: mats, have another bash when you collect the car, give it a thorough inspection and any slight paint blemishes/scratches, point them out and ask for the mats as compensation, worked for me.

who_me

Thanks Night Flight, I know that cost of servicing differs from say the first to the second year, just trying to weigh up the costs of the services for 3 years and the monthly payments...although can totally see where you're coming from. It's a new car so covered by warranty...decisions decisions.

Good point on the car inspection - will definitely give it a thorough looking over prior to leaving the dealership. I'm determined to get those mats!

AJSanderson

Got my new SC 1.4 sport yesteray - You only get one centrally locking key and a normal spare. I got a good deal on a second centrally locking key - £30 off. Also got a good price for 4 yr old 1.4 sport as the dealer had someone waiting to buy it. Its a buyers market at the moment as not many people are buying new cars due to credit crunch. So go for it, stick you neck out and be cheeky and ask for a much as you can get. Freebies such as Seat Golf umbrella, Chrome SEAT key ring etc.
If you don't ask you don't get!
good luck

Sinan

Toronegra!
Dec 1, 2009
Turkey - Izmir
www.vagturk.net
So go for it, stick you neck out and be cheeky and ask for a much as you can get. Freebies such as Seat Golf umbrella, Chrome SEAT key ring etc.
If you don't ask you don't get!
good luck

totally. Bought my ibiza 2 months ago, they gave mats + first aid kit for free. Also, they've done some paint protecting applyings. 1 week ago asked for keyring, they said none left in stock. Will go to dealer on saturday, hope that keyrings arrived. See, bought the car 2 months ago but still taking things from dealer for free! :D

who_me

Managed to get free mats which is good, car is awesome. I'm very pleased with it...taking it on some motorway driving tomorrow - will see how my baby drives! :)

Just a quick question on aux port - I've not got the cable yet so for the time being using my Griffin FM Transmitter as that charges whilst it plays. Just wondering if anyone knew whether plugging in via aux also charges ipod at the same time?

Also found a "3.5mm In Car AUX Audio Cable Lead Connector for ipod" on e-bay (so it plugs into aux port and then has the ipod connector on the other end (as opposed to another 3.5mm connector to plug into the headphone socket) so not sure whether this would charge the ipod if the ordinary Aux cable doesn't...I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to post links yet so won't risk it.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.