Mixing tyres

leon_in_uk

Feb 14, 2009
Tamworth
Hi guys just wonderin if it was bad to mix my front 2 with the back tyres I already have? At re mo I have rossos and want better on the front? Thanks

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
Theres no serious issue i dont think. People may not advise it though.

Ive got Eagle F1 Assymetrics on my front, and the budget Event tyres on the rear.

About 3 days after getting the front put on, i went round a roundabout in the wet, a little too quick (within speed limit) and the back began to step out, nothing major atall, just totally un expected.

I guess you just have to keep your wits about you.

Mar 2, 2008
hi, i dont think its a problem as long as they are quality tyres, but i would recommend to put new tyres on rear. if you like going fast round bends its better to know your limit on front and have good grip on back, than have good grip on front than your back skips around and then you crash or have a ****ing life flash

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
hi, i dont think its a problem as long as they are quality tyres, but i would recommend to put new tyres on rear. if you like going fast round bends its better to know your limit on front and have good grip on back, than have good grip on front than your back skips around and then you crash or have a ****ing life flash

Got to agree :rolleyes:

Just waiting to run out whats left in my rears so i can change them. Might evern swap them with the rears as you say, means i can get shot of them sooner too ;)

noddyFR

Leon FR tdi 205+
Mar 20, 2008
Prestwick
As long as the newer tyres are fitted to the rear....

If in doubt, look up Vicky Butler Henderson on you tube trying the new on front then rear.....

You will DEFO put new on the rear after this....

Cupra Jim

Nov 18, 2009
Coventry
I'd advise making sure that the rears are a pair and not mixed, but spend the money on a decent set, I went for Falken 454's on my Type R and lost it on an island causing me to spin 360 twice and eventually stopping sitting on top of a white bollard and 6 inches from the ironworks.

I had a proper heart stopping moment and was lucky that I didn't cause any detremental damage, following this I replaced the tyres to YOKOHMA PARADA.

Haddock

Burning Oil @ 140
Mar 19, 2006
Yorkshire
I can see the logic for fitting new tyres on the rear, but I reckon within a few weeks when you come across the first snowy hill you'll be wanting all the grip you can up front...

Plus, oversteer is always entertaining :D

Chris

dave.richmond

Jul 29, 2009
i currently have bridgestones on the front and michelin's on the rear. As long as you have the same tires on each side of the axel i can't see it being a problem.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
I can see the logic for fitting new tyres on the rear, but I reckon within a few weeks when you come across the first snowy hill you'll be wanting all the grip you can up front...

Plus, oversteer is always entertaining :D

Chris

Depends on the car try a BMW 1er on run flat tyres in snow or ice then it is just plain scary :scary:

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
i had 2 different tread patterns on the back of my car which i swapped to the front and it was scary and i dont mean driving stupid scary but had no confidence when taking bends , found my self tip toeing around bends :blink:

erichuyn

Dec 25, 2005
Netherlands
just keep the same brand, model and preferably mileage tyres on one axle.

The back to front swapping issue is when tyres are cupping on your car, because then all 4 tyres will be cupped after you swap them.

bijoyzlair

I've read that when you change tires you have to check the speed ratings - always keep the lower speed rated set in front to ensure high speed grip. Followed the same when i had to replace my front set, now run bridgestone potenzas at the rear with Pirelli Rossos up front. Have already taken it to speeds up to 230+kmph without any issues. So do keep that in mind.