FR TDi - drive shaft - CLUNK

teepee4bh

Returning old timer
Apr 19, 2009
Durham
Does anyone know how the drive shaft ends are held on?

I think my clunk is free play in the drive shaft.

The noise always happens at slow speeds and when turning and when there is a certain amount of roll in the car body which is when the drive shaft tries to extend itself due to the car geometry changing.

don't know if it's inner or outer joint but when it goes into none stretch situation it clunks the back of the disc which gives me the mechanical clunk noise.

does that sound plausible?

teepee4bh

Returning old timer
Apr 19, 2009
Durham
it's had most parts in the suspension replaced

ARB
Top mounts
Spring
Track control Arm
Ball Joint
Drop link

It's still driving me mad. Clunk is not as frequent as it was but still there when turning
or slow speed parking for example.

The only think left is Drive shaft. I know Inner joint has been replaced recently

teepee4bh

Returning old timer
Apr 19, 2009
Durham
Jeez mate, thought you had this sorted! I have this clunk too, will try and get it on the ramps and have a look sometime. Keep us updated?

so did I....... it's not as frequent but still there.

One thing i've noticed is the inner joint CV boot is loose at the small clip - I have moved the boot up and down expecting to see grease on shaft and hear the squelch of grease but nothing...??

This is the only thing left that could give me a metallic clang

teepee4bh

Returning old timer
Apr 19, 2009
Durham
waiting for a call back - they ordered new clips only one turned up.

they are planning to check inner joint, grease it and fit new clips.

I've had some bad experiances with them recently but they supplied car and it's still in warranty till March 2010

Davidsr

PD 172
Mar 13, 2009
Blackpool
I took mine in for clunking when turning at low speed and going over uneven surfaces.

Dealer had it on ramps and checked everything and reckon they couldn't see any problems. Since had MOT and passed also. They suggested it was a characteristic of the suspension and the engine tray, although I'm not too convinced.

Jan 28, 2009
Glasgow
mate it is the CV boot, will be ripped and have leaked the grease and as a result water gets into it, dries it up making the join at the end of the drive shaft (going into hub) clunk when its turned and under load. nothing to worry about, just make sure whoever is doing it will grease it up and put a new CV boot and clips on it at the end to secure it, try not drive it tho, last thing you want is for it to pop out.
not to worryn tho :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.