cupra v20 1.8T power problem

loopyleeinbath

Alright all, Newbie member here with an intermittent problem. Had my cupra 180 (no mods) for nearly a year now on a 2000 plate. Has been running fine until a month or so ago. Had a sudden intermittent drop in power, then it would be fine, then not and so on. at worst, you can be in any gear, put your foot down and the car wont accelerate any faster, then all of a sudden it would be ok and it would tear off.... In idle, and when the problem is current, the rev needle seems to jump up and down a bit, and when in neutral, if i give it some revs, i sometimes get a missfire, spluttering ect. Also a number of times as ive come to a junction, dippped the clutch and its stalled. Cars been at a local garage for a while now, been plugged into a computer, a few error codes were present such as a missfire on one and 2 sylinders, and an air pressure sensor. Garage said something about a P code?? There are not cat problems, pipes are all ok and keeping pressure. before i took the car into the garage, it went almost into a limp mode and had hardly any power at all. Errors were cleared on the ecu and it was ok for a few days then went back to the same problems. The garage are scratching their heads so anyone got any ideas?
Cheers.

evertonmarc

i know nothing about cars, espcially these ones (i'm looking at buying one soon), but after reading quite a few posts, have you checked its not the Coilpacks that have gone? Seem's to be a fairly consistent part that fails (cheap to fix i think) but from what i remember reading, it causes the car to run very rough

loopyleeinbath

Alright WiseJason. Sorry about that, How do i delete it? I looked for a delete button... There is no boost gage fitted and yes i think the pressure sensor error came back. Aparently it comes up on the computer as an air leak (to do with the turbo) but tests have shown there is no leak. Im at a loss to be honest. I will ask what the error codes are and i will post them asap.

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
Hi mate... click on 'Thread Tools' at the top of the thread in question and there is a delete option.

The misfire will probably be coil packs on cylinder 1 and 2. Take the engine cover off (simple plastic screw 1/2 turn) and check the pipes on the right hand side are not split. Y one of the crank case and the ones coming off the DV.

Takle each issue one at a time, they might be causeing each other.

loopyleeinbath

Hmm, i dont have an option to delete under thread tools? Think the garage have checked all the pipes ect. As its intermittent wouldnt that rule out a split pipe. Plus i think the garage did actually check the point that the error was ref to.

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
if the misfire codes are coming back up after a reset/clear then it will be coil packs on the way out. This would show up to start with then the engine is under load - booting it or pulling away at low revs in high gears. I'd start there.

A split pipe might only show up when the engine is hot and the rubber has gone softer.

Start with the coil packs, simple job. Only buy the OEM ones from either GSF (or the a like) or the dealer. Cheaper ones have a bad rep.

herb2578

now a cupra owner
Jul 14, 2007
west mids
having had a similar issue with power loss recently. as posted above i would check your vac pipes. splits are easy to miss i missed this 1 twice :redface:
55644aca0cf36ed20.jpg

55644aca0d079d048.jpg

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
having had a similar issue with power loss recently. as posted above i would check your vac pipes. splits are easy to miss i missed this 1 twice :redface:
55644aca0cf36ed20.jpg

55644aca0d079d048.jpg

Very common... had to replace mine recently... £27 from dealer...

Also the breather pipes under manifold split... and cause loss of power / ECL

loopyleeinbath

Thankyou for the images. I will take get the garage to take another look. With your split pipe did you have a constant power loss or was it intermittent? my motor does it when the engines cold or hot at random times.
Here are the error codes the garage gave me. Both meaning the same thing they said.

P1297

Any ideas?

Also the engine management light doesnt come on with these errors.

Last edited by a moderator:

ScoobyJawa

Achtung!
Oct 2, 2002
Liphook
Visit site
17705/P1297/004759 - Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve (check D.V.!)
Possible Symptoms
Power Loss
Possible Causes
Leaking hoses and/or pipes between components
Check Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249)
Possible Solutions
Check hoses and/or pipes between components
Check / Replace Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249)
Check / clean Throttle Valve, do Throttle Body Alignment
Special Notes
Did anyone fitted an extra (wrong) dump valve?

Same pipe on mine had gone - and others. Randomly went into limp mode!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise