derv filter

pedro-tdi

hey all guna change my derv filter on my pd130 sport, seems straight forward enuff bt my mate says 2 fill the new filter with diesel b4 i start it so it wont b dry, any truth 2 this and any pointeres wud b appreciated. thanks.

Deleted member 13581

Always fill the new filter with diesel to the brim or there will be air locks in the fuel system and register a fault code due to low fuel pressure on the sensor.

Worse case is the engine doesnt start.

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
as said fill the filter, i normally drain the fuel out of the old filter to do this. just turn the little valve at the bottom

JR_130

Mar 24, 2009
and after fitting the new filter, you can turn your ignition on and off a few times (activates the pump from the fuel tank, and the system should self bleed)

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
the last one i did like that took ages to get enough fuel into the filter to be able to start the car

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
I never bother doing that. Just turn the ignition on for 30 seconds, then start the engine. It will run for a few seconds and then cutout. Turn the engine over again and it will fire up after a few secs, job done.

Dont use the diesel from the old filter as it will have all the water, muck and crap that the old one filterd out in it!

Deleted member 13581

I fill up a small can of diesel before i do my service and use the fresh diesel in that for the filter. The rest gets put in the car when im finished. :lol:

conkerman

Oct 18, 2006
Don't bother messing about, the transfer pump fills it in no time. I have done about 10 filter changes and never bothered..

Conks

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.