Steering pulling

gumballforever

Hi everyone!
I am a proud new owner of a Ibiza cupra tdi and am very happy with my new car. I have found this site a great help and eveyone is very friendly! I have a small problem with my car that I didn't notice when I test drove it and hope someone can point me in the rite defection. When driving the car pulls to either side not much but enough that at high speeds it's a bit unnerving. It's not under acceleration it's just like the car grips and the active steering sort of helps a bit too much and pulls the car that way. I had thought the tyres may just want balancing as it had been in a showroom for a while but if anyone can help it would be a great help.

Thanks in advance for any help

Nick

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Welcome to the forums! I think you'll find that most cars will pull to the left due to the camber of the road. Try and find a VERY flat bit of road and determine which way it pulls.

My Ibiza Cupra 1.8T pulls to the left too - my old Leon Cupra did the same thing.

Tracking may also be out - might be worth getting it checked.

gumballforever

Hi thanks for the reply!!

I have tried the car out as u said and on bumpy roads it pulls both ways seems to depend on the road surface.

If im on smooth roads then it does pull to the left but if i steer to correct it it then goes straight for a bit then pulls to the right???

Seems very odd!! I am having the alloys recondition as the previous owners gf couldnt park so the tyres are going to be re balance then but will get the tracking looked at to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks again for the help.

Cheers Nick

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
it won't be the balancing as this would be noticed if the steering vibrates at around 60mph...the Cupra and FR on 17" have low profile tyres which are generally prone to steer off on uneven road surfaces and slight road camber, however, if it is pulling straight away as you let go of the steering on straight roads then it'll be your tracking that is out

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
Mine always pulls to the left. Had the tracking done twice. Its a real pain.

yer...i had mine re-done by SEAT (managed to get it under warranty) and it drove as new without pulling. My guess is that SEAT know exactly how the wheels should be set as they deal with them every day (applies to garages that have the facilities to do tracking)

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
yer...i had mine re-done by SEAT (managed to get it under warranty) and it drove as new without pulling. My guess is that SEAT know exactly how the wheels should be set as they deal with them every day (applies to garages that have the facilities to do tracking)

Ah nice tip I will get this looked at.

Cheers

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
Mine pulled to the left. Got digital tracking done and it's better, but still pulls to the left slightly. I think this is due to the wide tyres and camber in the road. The steering wheel isn't precisely central now, which is v annoying.

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
Mine pulled to the left. Got digital tracking done and it's better, but still pulls to the left slightly. I think this is due to the wide tyres and camber in the road. The steering wheel isn't precisely central now, which is v annoying.

the steering should be central...i would take it back if it weren't

p.s. i recommend doing tracking when your tyres are still under 5k miles as worn tyres do affect tracking

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
the steering should be central...i would take it back if it weren't

p.s. i recommend doing tracking when your tyres are still under 5k miles as worn tyres do affect tracking

The garage who did it said to take it back after 3 weeks for them to retest it. I'll get it sorted then.

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
I can't believe no ones said this yet but it is a very common MK4 Problem.
I've had three Mk4's now,

1.2 Ibiza (2000 miles on it)
1.9TDI (Factory Fresh)
1.8T Cupra (16,000 miles on it)

All three have pulled to the left, They've all been in for digital tracking (By a friend so I know its legit)

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
I can't believe no ones said this yet but it is a very common MK4 Problem.
I've had three Mk4's now,

1.2 Ibiza (2000 miles on it)
1.9TDI (Factory Fresh)
1.8T Cupra (16,000 miles on it)

All three have pulled to the left, They've all been in for digital tracking (By a friend so I know its legit)

may be a common problem, but i don't vouch for it as from factory mine never pulled