• Guest would you be interested in CUPRA or SEAT valve caps? let us know in the poll

• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Sparkplugs for an Leon Cupra -08

mYGeL

Cupra Widebody
Hi all,

is there somebody here that knows or have fitted any better sparkplugs that you reccomend? They must will fitt on the leon cupra -08?
better and colder ones ?

i have searched the internet but haven't found any good answers?

i have now stage3? 369bhp 475Nm

Regards// Michel

nickydobreanu

Michael, if you are still using the old plugs, the OEM ones, I recommend you not to use the car. Misfires and detonations are possible, or even fouling.
You should check plugs that are 1-2 classes colder.
Hot spark plugs damage your engine. Cold sparplugs are recommended when level of tuning is increased. Rule of thumb, for each 60-100 BHP that you add to your engine, you should move to the next colder class.

Brisk Silver Racing, NGK Iridium and Denso Iridium are my favourite Spark Plugs. Cheers

mYGeL

Cupra Widebody
Michael, if you are still using the old plugs, the OEM ones, I recommend you not to use the car. Misfires and detonations are possible, or even fouling.
You should check plugs that are 1-2 classes colder.
Hot spark plugs damage your engine. Cold sparplugs are recommended when level of tuning is increased. Rule of thumb, for each 60-100 BHP that you add to your engine, you should move to the next colder class.

Brisk Silver Racing, NGK Iridium and Denso Iridium are my favourite Spark Plugs. Cheers

thanks for you answer! :)

Do you have any item no for any of them? or where i can buy them?
i talked tro NGK and they didnt have anything they could reccomend??? :S

Regards// michel

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
I would recommend one step colder NGK platinum or Iridium's. Thats what I use. BKR6IEX are the iridiums i think. I beleive the platinums are cheaper.

mYGeL

Cupra Widebody
I would recommend one step colder NGK platinum or Iridium's. Thats what I use. BKR6IEX are the iridiums i think. I beleive the platinums are cheaper.

Hi!

Thanks for the tip! :)
i have ordered the iridium i think with the same number you gave me me from NGK..
I will have them on monday :funk:

I hope they are the right ones for my car and its mods?! :)

one confusing thing is that I have talked to a cuple of tuning firms that do many 2,0tfsi cars and they just say that the OEM are enugh ?? :confused:

But i hope these are better then them.. so i dont damage my engine :p

Regards// Michael

Edit: isnt the BKR6IEX the same as stock on the Cupra or the 2,0Tfsi engines??
Or am i wrong?
Isn't it this one i need? BKR7EIX
anyone who knows? so i can reorder if i ordered the wrong ones??

ECS-Tuning says: #BKR7EIX, One heat range colder than the factory plugs
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-A3-Quattro-2.0T/Maintenance/Engine/Spark_Plugs/ES8925/

Last edited:

rudgey

Mk2 Leon TFSI Sport '06
Jul 2, 2008
near Midland VW ;)
Would it be worth my while upgrading the plugs on me tfsi now it's mapped with revo stage 1 code? Would i be able to pull more timing? Cheers!

nickydobreanu

Hi!

Edit: isnt the BKR6IEX the same as stock on the Cupra or the 2,0Tfsi engines??
Or am i wrong?
Isn't it this one i need? BKR7EIX
anyone who knows? so i can reorder if i ordered the wrong ones??

NGK Iridium, code: BKR 7EIX
The stock spark plugs are heat class 6, you should get the colder ones, as by tuning, your engine would work under higher temperatures. If the plugs get hotter, you might have preignition, misfires or detonations. These damage the engine.

If you choose too cold plugs, than the plug does not reach the self cleaning temperature (all deposits at the tip would not be cleaned), so you would change them more often.

Bottom line, try to get colder plugs and NEVER hotter.

Japanese producers (e.g. NGK, Denso) have bigger id numbers for colder plugs, while others (USA) have smaller number on colder plugs.

A friend of mine (Leon MK1) have tried a dyno with NGK Platinum and another one with Brisk DOR14LGS Plugs, the result is below (black=ngk, blue=brisk)

In case you go for Denso, VK20 is equivalent to stock, so get VK22 for first step colder plugs.

This table summarises the equivalence between different producers (look at the heat range)

nickydobreanu

Would it be worth my while upgrading the plugs on me tfsi now it's mapped with revo stage 1 code? Would i be able to pull more timing? Cheers!

You might get some (small) MPG / power increase, which is good. Unless you get misfires and detonations, I reckon you shouldn't be doing this at this stage. Leave it for later, for the time when you should change the original plugs. Then choose one class colder. Cheers!

Poverty

Do you know if changing spark plugs is a DIY job or something left to a garage?

mYGeL

Cupra Widebody
Do you know if changing spark plugs is a DIY job or something left to a garage?

Hi

Its very easy jobb...
you just remove the coilpacks and the first look so theres no water or something else in the holes..
the unsrew the old ones and screw down the new ones and put back the coilpacks and then you are ready! :)

Regards// Michael

Poverty

Hi

Its very easy jobb...
you just remove the coilpacks and the first look so theres no water or something else in the holes..
the unsrew the old ones and screw down the new ones and put back the coilpacks and then you are ready! :)

Regards// Michael

thanks, trouble is I get stumped at the first hurdle, I cant even get the engine cover off my cupra. It was really easy on the ibiza :cartman:

mYGeL

Cupra Widebody
NGK Iridium, code: BKR 7EIX
The stock spark plugs are heat class 6, you should get the colder ones, as by tuning, your engine would work under higher temperatures. If the plugs get hotter, you might have preignition, misfires or detonations. These damage the engine.

If you choose too cold plugs, than the plug does not reach the self cleaning temperature (all deposits at the tip would not be cleaned), so you would change them more often.

Bottom line, try to get colder plugs and NEVER hotter.

Japanese producers (e.g. NGK, Denso) have bigger id numbers for colder plugs, while others (USA) have smaller number on colder plugs.

A friend of mine (Leon MK1) have tried a dyno with NGK Platinum and another one with Brisk DOR14LGS Plugs, the result is below (black=ngk, blue=brisk)

In case you go for Denso, VK20 is equivalent to stock, so get VK22 for first step colder plugs.

This table summarises the equivalence between different producers (look at the heat range)

Thanks for your answer! :D

the shop just called me and told me the other ones that i was first reccomendend has arrived damn to late to reorder i have to buy them and then sell them :cry:
BKR 6IEX

Would they be better on a Skoda Octavia RS2 with 280BHP and 420 Nm ?
or is it the same thing there?

I will place an new order on the BKR 7IEX
today then :)

Regards// Michael

nickydobreanu

if you may sell the no. 6, then do it. if not, just put them in and test them for few days. drive the car faster, to higher RPM so the temperature of the engine increases more than usual. you may then conclude if the spark plugs are ok or not. you should have no misfires and detonations, then the sparks are ok.
i have seen many cars working with OEM spark plugs up to 310 BHP. Not to worry!

The only difference between Platinium and Iridium is the change interval, as the iridium is a higher resistance metal and would lead to 60k-100k KM exchange interval instead of the 40k KM for Platinum. Cheers!

mYGeL

Cupra Widebody
if you may sell the no. 6, then do it. if not, just put them in and test them for few days. drive the car faster, to higher RPM so the temperature of the engine increases more than usual. you may then conclude if the spark plugs are ok or not. you should have no misfires and detonations, then the sparks are ok.
i have seen many cars working with OEM spark plugs up to 310 BHP. Not to worry!

The only difference between Platinium and Iridium is the change interval, as the iridium is a higher resistance metal and would lead to 60k-100k KM exchange interval instead of the 40k KM for Platinum. Cheers!

ok ok :)

But i have had the original for 50.000km and there has never been a problem that i have noticed or had any fault codes.
Ok now i have P0300 and P0304 but it because an broken Coilpack.. already ordered a new one togheter wit the Spark plugs.
but if i understand it right its beter to have tho cold ones wit the mods i have?

This is the engine mods that i have today.

Neuspeed P-flow with Cai extension "modified for the cupra"
Neuspeed high flow IC pipe "modified for the cupra"

Neuspeed Hi-Flow Turbo Discharge Conversion
Forge TWINtercooler
3" Turbo back system with one 100 race cat..

soon to be fitted, already ordered but not delivered yet
Upgraded fuelpump
Powerpulley

the car if yo want to see it? :)
http://www.garaget.org/?car=88954

so maybe its the best for the colder ones direcktly?:think:

thanks for all the answers! :happy:

Regards// michael

nickydobreanu

I think you should go for the 1st or 2nd next colder class, I have checked your dyno graph and soon that is going to be even more in terms of BHP/Torque.

It's good if you haven't had any problem with your OEM plugs, it also depends on the driving manner and environmental temperature.

mYGeL

Cupra Widebody
I think you should go for the 1st or 2nd next colder class, I have checked your dyno graph and soon that is going to be even more in terms of BHP/Torque.

It's good if you haven't had any problem with your OEM plugs, it also depends on the driving manner and environmental temperature.

Ok but what if the BKR 8IEX are to cold? Would the engine brake down?

that graph is the old one i have i bit more already :9
369Bhp 475Nm but the i dont have it in my computer :/ but graph looks almost the same but goes a bit higher on both ranges BHP/Torque :)

Thanks for all the help!
very appreciated!

nickydobreanu

Michael,

A colder plug does not affect your engine. The hot-cold story is simple, if it's too hot, your engine works strange (preignition, misfires, detonations) while if it's too cold your spark plugs do not reach the self cleaning temperature.

A very cold spark wouldn't be able to clean itself because it wouldn't reach that self-cleaning temperature. But that's all, no panic if too cold. That is why NEVER HOTTER!!!

Anytime ;) Congrats for the car, it looks great!

Aaroncupra

Guys... didn't want to start a new thread about sparkplugs...., where is the best place to get DENSO VK or Bosch Platinum plugs.... for the cupra?

Cheers

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.