• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Breaks squeaking, worn pads?

rocky2008

Buy Cheap Buy Twice!
Nov 16, 2008
North-east
tonight as i was coming upto a roundabout that seemed to be clear i carried on driving forwards onto the roundabout, then some tool decided to cut me up halfway round[:@], i slammed the anchors on but then they didnt seem to lock up aswell as normal and there was alot of squealing, from this point on everytime i applied the breaks i could here a slight squealing noise, is this down to worn pads? thanks in advance :)

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Could be - have a look-see, it might also be due to the callipers and pads needing cleaned up a bit as theyare sticking. Its always best to know at what "stage" of wear your brakes and tyres are "at" ! Take a squint through the wheels to see if there is more friction material than backing metal - both outside and inside.

stezo2k

Anjuna Monkey
Mar 15, 2008
Dudley
i had something similar, turns out my the garage had put no copper grease on them. may not be the case but you never know

rocky2008

Buy Cheap Buy Twice!
Nov 16, 2008
North-east
Could be - have a look-see, it might also be due to the callipers and pads needing cleaned up a bit as theyare sticking. Its always best to know at what "stage" of wear your brakes and tyres are "at" ! Take a squint through the wheels to see if there is more friction material than backing metal - both outside and inside.

cheers for the help mate, but what do you meen by friction material than backing metal?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The brake pads are made up of two parts, first there is the metal backing bit that slots into the fixed part of the calliper, bonded on to that is a smaller but thicker lump of friction material - this is the bit that rubs against the brake disc. When the friction material has worn down to near or past the thickness of the backing material, ie roughly 6mm (it starts life new at about 13mm), ist time to think about replacing the brake pads. If you look in closely at the outer pad (through the gaps in the wheels), you should be able to see that the brake pad is made up out of two parts as they will not be EXACTLY the same shape/size.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise