boost gauge

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
Right....next on my list is a boost gauge after seeing a few others on here with them :p

decided to go for a A pillar...will this one be ok for a mk4 ibiza tdi FR?..

http://www.body-kit.co.uk/product.php/6147/2040/seat-ibiza-cordoba-02-rh-pillar-mount-black-single

it is just a single gauge which is all i want.

As for the gauge, have done a bit of research and think this one will be ok for a TDI??

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_231493_langId_-1_categoryId_165520

or this one off ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUTOGAUGE-270...3|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

will the gauge come with all the fitments, or will i need to buy anything more? Like a connector to plumb into the boost pipe?

Cheers for any help in advance

Oct 11, 2008
Bristol
you need one of these buddy

IMG00050-20090511-20522.jpg

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
ok...is that the bit that plumbs into the boost pipe?

i remember you making yours? was it difficult...i know you went for the in-vent idea...i think im gonna get the A-pillar one!

which gauge did you go for?

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
just what i needed to hear! as just ordered! going to halfords tonight to get the gauge....then hopefully sportrider is sending me the hosetail to fit it in the boost pipe! Did you get the black one? i may spray mine to match my interior as i have an FR so it is a pale colour interior!

think i may have problems withs the wiring up to make it light up....

how did everyone else do it?

May 29, 2008
Aberdeenshire
yeah i bought the black one...but the cupra interior is black...i went for a similar boost gauge (7 colour LED?!) matches the std dials so was well chuffed!

I plumbed mine into the vacum line coming of the d.v....correct thing to do??
and as for the lights, (when i say "i" i mean "Mate" lol) i found a switch live in the from the fuse box...

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
just what i needed to hear! as just ordered! going to halfords tonight to get the gauge....then hopefully sportrider is sending me the hosetail to fit it in the boost pipe! Did you get the black one? i may spray mine to match my interior as i have an FR so it is a pale colour interior!

think i may have problems withs the wiring up to make it light up....

how did everyone else do it?

I have run mine from the headunit wiring. Found an earth and switched live wire to light it up. I think mine had a diming function wire but I have not wired this in yet. As you are pillar mounting it, you will probably run the wiring from the headlight controls.

I plumbed mine into the vacum line coming of the d.v....correct thing to do??

That's where I did mine... but only petrols have DVs so the diesel boys have to plumb it in differently!

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
ok i have a TDI...presume you have a petrol cupra...?

think i iwll be ok with the boost pipe it is just the wiring up to make the lights work that i may struggle with!

any idea what the colour of the FR interior is? may need to fins a colour match?

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
well i recently moved house so dont have the internet at home, so have to use work time for SCN..opps!

may get someone else to do the wiring...why is there a need for a dimming wire? surely the lights come on when the ignition starts and turn off when the ignition is off?

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
well i recently moved house so dont have the internet at home, so have to use work time for SCN..opps!

may get someone else to do the wiring...why is there a need for a dimming wire? surely the lights come on when the ignition starts and turn off when the ignition is off?

Will work if you ever dim the dash lights! Something I never do so I thought I wouldn't bother to wire it up. If you find the wires and you can just use scotch blocks (or vampire clips or something!) Its dead easy. I found getting the vacuum hose through was the toughest part. I actually bought a 3metre length of pipe as the one with the gauge wasn't long enough and I didn't want it to be a tight fit. If you are running it from the engine to the pillar the supplied pipe should be fine though!

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
yea i already have an amp and sub in the boot so will follow where the live wire for the amp goes.through the bulkhead...so its just a live and an earth wire will the colour match to that from the headunit?...i think i should manage even if it is just a case of trial and error?

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
yea i already have an amp and sub in the boot so will follow where the live wire for the amp goes.through the bulkhead...so its just a live and an earth wire will the colour match to that from the headunit?...i think i should manage even if it is just a case of trial and error?

If I remember, the switched live is position 4 and the earth is position 8 on the black block that goes into the back of the headunit.

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hmmmm i have an aftermarket one....so may be a bit of guessing involved! i need an autoelectrican mate!

The wires that are attached to the car will be the same... you just might have an adapter to connect the new headunit to the cars wiring. The cars wiring consists of a black block (for power etc) and a sandy coloured one (for speakers). You will still have these. :)

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
aha ok i get it now! Well when it all arrives i will have an attempt at it..im sure the hardest part will be drilling the IC pipe.

Did you just feed the wires into the block? or did you buy any specfic connectors? sorry to ask so many daft questions i have never done anything like this really!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.