• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

bleeding brakes

herb2578

now a cupra owner
Jul 14, 2007
west mids
ok ive searched and read numerous threads with no definite answer
basically i have replaced a front brake line and would like to know the vag bleeding sequence
is it start furthest away and work closer to the mc or is it
start closest to the mc then diagonally opposite ???

also does the mc need bleeding if so when do i do it before the brakes or after?

and the clutch is bled last isnt it?

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
No need to fully bleed the system for brake hose replacement, air is going to be in the hose & caliper so you only have to bleed that side up to get rid of that air in the system, unless the system has run dry of fulid then theres no point unless your going to change the fuild in which you go furthest away from M/cylinder 1st which is passenger side rear - drivers side rear- passenger front - drivers front.

herb2578

now a cupra owner
Jul 14, 2007
west mids
No need to fully bleed the system for brake hose replacement, air is going to be in the hose & caliper so you only have to bleed that side up to get rid of that air in the system, unless the system has run dry of fulid then theres no point unless your going to change the fuild in which you go furthest away from M/cylinder 1st which is passenger side rear - drivers side rear- passenger front - drivers front.

cheers for that mate much appreciated!!!

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts

i disagree mate, unless you fully clamped the hoses to stop air travelling back into the system, the whole system will need rebleeding.

vag sequence is passenger rear, drivers rear, passenger front, drivers front. then the master cylinder... theres two nipples on the mc.

iirc this is right for bleeding. furthest away from mc first.

the slightest bit of air in the system will cause spongy brakes.

herb2578

now a cupra owner
Jul 14, 2007
west mids
i disagree mate, unless you fully clamped the hoses to stop air travelling back into the system, the whole system will need rebleeding.

vag sequence is passenger rear, drivers rear, passenger front, drivers front. then the master cylinder... theres two nipples on the mc.

iirc this is right for bleeding. furthest away from mc first.

the slightest bit of air in the system will cause spongy brakes.

cheers for the reply!:D
i did realise after i had bled the 1 caliper and the pedal still went to the floor :doh:

Lecatona HPFP (High-pressure Fuel Pump Upgrades)