Naughty Rubens

As for the sponsors, do I think any less of Virgin / Brawn for what RB has said? In the grand scheme of my life I couldn't care less.

Whilst sponsorship is a key attribute of any sport, I'm always slightly bemused when companies feel that they can be slandered by the conduct of a sporting ambassador if they are expressing themselves freely, and not a directing an attack on their brand.

That's as well as maybe however sponsorships are much more complicated than simply trying to sell you products as I know you understand. If for example I had brought a potential sponsor to a race and they saw a gobby driver mouthing off in front of the press, I'd be mortified. It's about decorum as much as anything. Plus, I understand that he had corporate obligations to fulfil post race which he didn't as he hooned off in a huff.

Sponsors in F1 largely piggy-back on others reputations (RBS is a case in point), market penetration and brand values. Lose those and it's not worth your while.

However, SEAT took on JP for exactly the reasons we like him - he says it like it is...within reason. 'Out of reason' the consequences of emotional outbursts were grave.

Anyway...sorry to bleat on, I just think there are so many sides to consider and I personally think he was inaccurant, un-kind, un-sportsmanly and just childish. I thought he was better than that!

It's only a game afterall.:)

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Anyway...sorry to bleat on, I just think there are so many sides to consider and I personally think he was inaccurant, un-kind, un-sportsmanly and just childish. I thought he was better than that!

It's only a game afterall.:)

Given your job I can fully see your point of view, and as you say if you had a client there you'd be mortified. I get that completely. From a purely personal perspective I think it is optimistic to believe people who live in a pressure cooker environment won't occasionally fall of the rails. Schumacher was a genius, but his conduct on occasions was highly questionnable. Maybe he didn't gob off like Rubens did, but ethically what he did (Monaco qualification track blocking, punting off Hill / Villeneuve in various championships wasn't any better). I tend to believe if you're at the top of your game you can get away with anything, if your not you don't.

To people who are further removed from the specifics of what you have to manage in your day job I don't think its necessarily as big an issue. Call me soft, but to people who don't outwardly hurt people I tend to take a moderate line.

Given your job I can fully see your point of view, and as you say if you had a client there you'd be mortified. I get that completely. From a purely personal perspective I think it is optimistic to believe people who live in a pressure cooker environment won't occasionally fall of the rails. Schumacher was a genius, but his conduct on occasions was highly questionnable. Maybe he didn't gob off like Rubens did, but ethically what he did (Monaco qualification track blocking, punting off Hill / Villeneuve in various championships wasn't any better). I tend to believe if you're at the top of your game you can get away with anything, if your not you don't.

To people who are further removed from the specifics of what you have to manage in your day job I don't think its necessarily as big an issue. Call me soft, but to people who don't outwardly hurt people I tend to take a moderate line.

I absolutely agree. And another thing I think worth noting is that motorsport is supposed to be 100% passion:p....which it is...I'd be much more offended if he'd caused an accident on the track and hurt someone!

I have to admit - watching the interview I was laughing my butt off and generally feeling thankful that our man keeps his 'thoughts' inside the truck walls...and the air is often blue with 'emotion'!

You know....massively grateful that the upside of funding through YRC (and not corporate cash) is that I now know that you clearly won't mind if he makes his feelings about things clear on a Sunday afternoon!

warren_cox

Back from the dead
You know....massively grateful that the upside of funding through YRC (and not corporate cash) is that I now know that you clearly won't mind if he makes his feelings about things clear on a Sunday afternoon!

You know I would love it!

Part of what I enjoy about contributing to YRC is it feels far more accessible and you feel part of the journey rather than part of the 'corporate spin'!!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.