Air intakes for tfsi

beeko85

Apr 27, 2009
Bangor, N.I
Hey, so got my dv and remap sorted, now its time to start thinking about what air intake to go for. Want one of the ones that directly replace the standard air box. dont know much about these at all, i know oettinger do one, as do carbonio, also one beginning with D which i dont know. basically, how good are these, which one would ya's go for and why? and anyone whos good at this sort of thing, how big a job is it to fit these yourself+ how long does it take. I did replace my dv myself, it just took forever, but im toyin with the idea of gettin one of these and takin it out and puttin the oem one back in for services- is this too much work or what? thanks

beeko85

Apr 27, 2009
Bangor, N.I
Also, i had my last car mapped by a guy here in N.Ireland. my old one was a diesel so i know its probably a bit different, but he said there was no point puttin an induction kit on it, performance wise, because manufacturers spend so much money developing their systems that they're pretty hard to improve on anyway, and that the best bet would be just to buy a better panel filter. surely this cant be right for the tfsi though can it?

jdearden

i'll take a stab that it's the 2.0 tfsi you're talking about. The ones you mentioned are a panel filter and new air scoop that attach to the factory box.

The Dbilas is the one you were probably thinking of. This replaces the oem cover with the built in air box and has a 3inch pipe similar to other intake available. It has a relocated panel filter at the entry end of the intake.

If you want sound enhancements then you want a cone filter: the neuspeed p-flow offers a great noise on throttle lift off and a whoosh and growl throught the gears, forge, K&N, Evoms (evolution Motorsport) all make intake's that utilise this setup so will have the same aggressive deep noise.
However it does sound like darth vader is sneezing out the passenger airvent sometimes.

beeko85

Apr 27, 2009
Bangor, N.I
i'll take a stab that it's the 2.0 tfsi you're talking about. The ones you mentioned are a panel filter and new air scoop that attach to the factory box.

The Dbilas is the one you were probably thinking of. This replaces the oem cover with the built in air box and has a 3inch pipe similar to other intake available. It has a relocated panel filter at the entry end of the intake.

If you want sound enhancements then you want a cone filter: the neuspeed p-flow offers a great noise on throttle lift off and a whoosh and growl throught the gears, forge, K&N, Evoms (evolution Motorsport) all make intake's that utilise this setup so will have the same aggressive deep noise.
However it does sound like darth vader is sneezing out the passenger airvent sometimes.

thanks jdearden. im not too worried about noise, just somethin with a reasonable power increase. yeah it was the Dbilas i saw on someone elses leon here, though i think their's was a cupra. but its definately that sort of intake im after. any idea on power increases or fitting time etc anyone?

jdearden

It's a 10minute job to remove the engine cover and connecting pipes then install the new kit... if you have the right tools that is.

The hose clip are a b**ch to undo without proper spring pliers. Space is tight near to the bottom of the engine cover pipe and it's hard to manouever a normal set of pliers in there.

The K&N, Neuspeed, Dbilas and Evoms all come with fitting instructions. Doing the reverse is equally quick. I'd recommend replacing the oem spring clips with jubliee hose clamp things that only need a screwdriver to tighten. (your new intake will come with these anyway) but i'm talking about if you ever have to put your original back on (for whatever reason).

I'd say you could get arounf 5-7bhp with an intake system with cold air feed supply.

If you have a remap then the company will be able to change the programme to cater for the intake or any other modifications you make. With this you might be looking at nearer to 10bhp gain in some parts fo the rev range.

Last edited by a moderator:

beeko85

Apr 27, 2009
Bangor, N.I
nice one. 5-7 from that would be good enough. i have the car bluefined. think you have to add a de-cat and down pipe, or sports cat or somethin with superchips before they customise the map, but they will do it for free when/ if you do.
besides the air intake the only thing i have planned for now is a milltek cat-back. I wanted to hit the 250mark, which i thought would make a nice all rounder really, without goin over board and havin to start worryin about brakes/suspension etc. sounds like ill be near enough there with these two mods.
I do really like the look of the Dbilas, or the carbonio, am i right in sayin that both let your keep the original engine cover too?

ares

Jun 28, 2008
Greece, Athens
I do really like the look of the Dbilas, or the carbonio, am i right in sayin that both let your keep the original engine cover too?

That's true only for carbonio but carbonio is not a CAI. With dbilas and any other CAI the engine cover has to go.

beeko85

Apr 27, 2009
Bangor, N.I
That's true only for carbonio but carbonio is not a CAI. With dbilas and any other CAI the engine cover has to go.

thanks for that. so what is carbonio then if its not cai? this means it not as good as the others then? it is possible to get certain cai's with a modified engine cover to fit though isnt it?

Poverty

thanks for that. so what is carbonio then if its not cai? this means it not as good as the others then? it is possible to get certain cai's with a modified engine cover to fit though isnt it?

yes but I wouldnt bother. The engine cover design if flawed and with aggressive driven can work itself loose and dame the fuel actuator or something like that.

For more power you are better off spending your money on a hpfp than a cai btw.

beeko85

Apr 27, 2009
Bangor, N.I
yes but I wouldnt bother. The engine cover design if flawed and with aggressive driven can work itself loose and dame the fuel actuator or something like that.

For more power you are better off spending your money on a hpfp than a cai btw.

arent the hpfp pretty expensive though, the apr one is anyway i think. maybe its better to just go for a good panel filter...

luke07cupra

Wind the boost up...
Apr 13, 2009
Leeds
arent the hpfp pretty expensive though, the apr one is anyway i think. maybe its better to just go for a good panel filter...

Not if you just get the pump internals, about £300 fitted.

I would imagine the pump is a big limitation on the FR as it is on the Cupra.

Poverty

na about the same price as a cai. 350-400 fitted mate. All you need then if a full tbe and you can have up to 360bhp.

jdearden

na about the same price as a cai. 350-400 fitted mate. All you need then if a full tbe and you can have up to 360bhp.

Think the neuspeed is half the price of the high power fuel pump. Around £170 inc vat.

The fuel pump doesn't look too bad an install to do yourself but it'd be an hours labour at your local garage.

The big engine cover really does retain a LOT of heat and it's a pretty damn heavy too.
I'd say remove and get the dbilas if you want a free flowing system as there is no need for the cover. Or if you want even more flow but can put up with the noise get the neuspeed p-flow.

From what i've red on the other forum's you're better off just getting a better panel filter than the carbonio, you're only paying for the inappropriate carbon air scoop.

Another cheapish mod is the forge twintercooler...£450ish

jon-tfsi

Mar 29, 2008
Hi Beeko85

Have PM'd you about a Neuspeed P-Flow I will be selling
Cheap Mod that adds power and sound

beeko85

Apr 27, 2009
Bangor, N.I
Hi Beeko85

Have PM'd you about a Neuspeed P-Flow I will be selling
Cheap Mod that adds power and sound

Hey, sorry never got that pm. the p-flow is the cone one right, that sits in the engine bay? not sure its really what im after...but suppose if the price is right...do ya have to remove the engine cover for that one. also hope ya dont mind me askin, but why ya sellin it, ya gettin a different cai?

jon-tfsi

Mar 29, 2008
I just checked your profile beeko85 and the details are in your visitor messages.
Its a very long story why Im selling the bits on the car including the P-Flo, but this intake has served me well and Im going back to a stock car.
I removed it from the car this morning and have just cleaned and oiled it. It comes with full fitting instructions, a home made heat shield and is in very good condition.
These are £213 from neuspeed or Awesome gti.
My price is £100 plus £10 postage
It also comes with an airbox from a 1.6 leon mk2 that fits around the cone filter perfectly to shield it from engine bay heat and reduces its sound a fair bit.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise