Glue left after de-badging and laquer missing

R@B

I Like Turbos!!!
Mar 11, 2009
Sunny Glasgow
Hi all, again
I done a search but could'nt find anything usefull.The previous owner of my leon cupra took the rear badges off and some laquer too,but left a load of glue on.I've tried tar and glue remover,boiling water and nail varnish remover,all have failed to remove any of it. This stuff is like f**king superglue.I'm considering trying a heat gun as i dont think a hairdryer will work.Do you think the heat gun will be alright if i'm carefull with the paint or can anyone suggest anything else.Also any ideas about the missing laquer,the biggest section is about 1"x1.5".Can the professionals touch it up and if it needs resrayed do i need to get the full boot done and any ideas how much?

1L19

Sep 1, 2008
Barnstaple
My friend used a heat gun to get the glue off from his bump strips, it warped the paint and made it all bubbly! I wouldn't recommend it.

R@B

I Like Turbos!!!
Mar 11, 2009
Sunny Glasgow
is it all the badges taht have left crap?

Yeah the dark glue from the badges.I dont know if the daft git took them off then glued them back on and then took them off again. I removed badges from previous cars and didnt have this much trouble getting the remaining glue off.

cuprakitty

May 1, 2007
Wolves, West Midlands
Have you tried that 'sticky stuff remover' (Google it) to get the glue residue off? - I've used it with success on many other things including painted surfaces. Its the stuff that smells citrusy, feels oily and shifts 'label gunk' from most surfaces. You'd need to do a test somewhere un-noticeable but it might shift the glue gunk without the unpleasant side effects a heat gun could cause.

Surprised that none of the things you've listed have shifted the goo.

R@B

I Like Turbos!!!
Mar 11, 2009
Sunny Glasgow
Have you tried that 'sticky stuff remover' (Google it) to get the glue residue off? - I've used it with success on many other things including painted surfaces. Its the stuff that smells citrusy, feels oily and shifts 'label gunk' from most surfaces. You'd need to do a test somewhere un-noticeable but it might shift the glue gunk without the unpleasant side effects a heat gun could cause.

Cheers i'll do a search for that.I'm surprised too honestly its like superglue.

R@B

I Like Turbos!!!
Mar 11, 2009
Sunny Glasgow
Got some loctite superglue remover and it worked a treat. Had to do it 3 or 4 times and had to leave on for a couple of hours but now its all gone.:D Just need to get the laquer sorted and my back end will look nice and smooth.

FSiLeonMike

Barmy Army Reservist (TA)
Apr 26, 2007
Bury St Edmunds/Stowmarket-ish

I've used this (Sticky Stuff Remover), and it works just fine for the job. Its cool stuff, even gts chewing gum off clothes.

It won't hrm the paint as its orange oil based (hence the citrus smell), think thers a drop of white spirit too, worst it will do is take off any polish that may be on the paint,

I used the Sticky Stuff Remover, then washed the area with a good car shampoo, then gave a quick polish, it left no marks what so ever

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise