Good/Bad Morning for Tires

Jun 26, 2008
Sunderland
This morning I managed to hit an oddly placed curb and burst my front near side tire.
This is bad because I'm on a bit of a tight budget at the moment, BUT is good because it'll give me the push to get a decent set of tires which I've been telling myself I need for ages now!

I'm just getting 2 for the front to start with and then the back soon after.

Anyway after some searching I think im going to plumb for Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D2's and as I'm running standard wheels (6J 14's) im going to be needing 185/60/R14 which is the only 14" that goodyear make, and probably not the easiest to get hold of.

Anyone know anywhere? cheapest I've found at the moment is £53.40 per tire delivered.

Cheers in advance, James. :)

Dougy

Ibiza Cupra R
Dec 10, 2008
Yorkshire
I have just purchased 4 Uniroyal Rainsport 2's for mine which are slightly bigger

But ideally if you know anyone who works for a garage and hopefully you are mates you can get them at trade cost which is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying online.

My tyres cost me £49 each at trade price but they only sell to people who have a tyre machine

Other good websites if you don't know anyone with a garage are

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/

http://www.blackcircles.com/

http://www.tyretraders.com/ - these were the cheapest for me when i looked/ if they don't have the tyre email them for a quote cos 9/10 they can get hold of it

Hope this helps

Jun 26, 2008
Sunderland
ideally if you know anyone who works for a garage and hopefully you are mates you can get them at trade cost which is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying online.

Other good websites if you don't know anyone with a garage are

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/

http://www.blackcircles.com/

http://www.tyretraders.com/ - these were the cheapest for me when i looked/ if they don't have the tyre email them for a quote cos 9/10 they can get hold of it.

Yeah MyTyres are pretty much the only place I can find who can get hold of them in that size.

I've got my brother trying to source me some from his garage but everyone in the UK that I've tried has had trouble sourcing them as there not a popular size for them.

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
Bad luck mate hitting a curb is never fun :( Let us know what improvements you get and also what your old tires are, its always handy to see what suits each car

Jun 26, 2008
Sunderland

Nah nowt on the 'bay unfortunately.

Bad luck mate hitting a curb is never fun :( Let us know what improvements you get and also what your old tires are, its always handy to see what suits each car

I know, was a bit gutted, it wasn't too fast or hard really, and then it just sarted pulling to the left loads and was very splashy so i was like..... Yep that's Burst.

Skinny space saver is on at the mo.

To be honest it had crap budget ones on so not too big of a loss :D

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
This morning I managed to hit an oddly placed curb and burst my front near side tire.
This is bad because I'm on a bit of a tight budget at the moment, BUT is good because it'll give me the push to get a decent set of tires which I've been telling myself I need for ages now!

I'm just getting 2 for the front to start with and then the back soon after.

Anyway after some searching I think im going to plumb for Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D2's and as I'm running standard wheels (6J 14's) im going to be needing 185/60/R14 which is the only 14" that goodyear make, and probably not the easiest to get hold of.

Anyone know anywhere? cheapest I've found at the moment is £53.40 per tire delivered.

Cheers in advance, James. :)

If I were you you I would be using it as the perfect opportunity to go nuts and buy some new wheels too ;) It's only money lol

Jun 26, 2008
Sunderland
This is bad because I'm on a bit of a tight budget at the moment

Not the sort of tight budget where you have money but can't to spend it, the type where you cant remember what money looks like!

I like the suggestion though :D it would definately be what i'd do if I could! nice set of splits! :D

Last edited:

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Not the sort of tight budget where you have money but can't want to spend it, the type where you cant remember what money looks like!

I like the suggestion though :D it would definately be what i'd do if I could! nice set of splits! :D

That bad eh, I was going to be really cruel and post up a picture of some money but that wouldn't be nice, especially as i'm skint too lol

Everyone seems to rave about the Goodyear Eagle F1's so if you go for those I reckon you will be happy, leave the budget tyres on the back and have some fun :drive1:

Jun 26, 2008
Sunderland
That bad eh, I was going to be really cruel and post up a picture of some money but that wouldn't be nice, especially as i'm skint too lol

Everyone seems to rave about the Goodyear Eagle F1's so if you go for those I reckon you will be happy, leave the budget tyres on the back and have some fun :drive1:

Yeah that would be cruel, but funny! Im on a student's budget you see, have to pay for a holiday, insurace and petrol on a part time wage! :D

I know yeah they are meant to be good from what i hear. im going to order them now! cant wait.

Haha yeah, the back end will be fun with them just on the front like :D

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Yeah that would be cruel, but funny! Im on a student's budget you see, have to pay for a holiday, insurace and petrol on a part time wage! :D

I know yeah they are meant to be good from what i hear. im going to order them now! cant wait.

Haha yeah, the back end will be fun with them just on the front like :D

Will be fun yeah, infact if you drive it just right you can burst one of the back ones and replace those too ;)

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
If I were you you I would be using it as the perfect opportunity to go nuts and buy some new wheels too ;) It's only money lol

The problem is from the wheel size he has quoted the vehicle is a 1.4 60hp (same as my wifes) so any increase in wheel size is going to make it slower to 60mph and tbh my saab has 18" wheels and knocks the air out of my lungs over bumps where the missus car with its new bilstien b4's all round and pirelli P6000's has a nice controlled ride with good grip. Maybe im just getting old lol sorry for the rant!

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
The problem is from the wheel size he has quoted the vehicle is a 1.4 60hp (same as my wifes) so any increase in wheel size is going to make it slower to 60mph and tbh my saab has 18" wheels and knocks the air out of my lungs over bumps where the missus car with its new bilstien b4's all round and pirelli P6000's has a nice controlled ride with good grip. Maybe im just getting old lol sorry for the rant!

Don't get me wrong whacking on huge wheels won't make it any faster, but to be honest if you are driving a 1.4 60bhp car 0-60 times shouldn't really be your main priority anyway. I had a 1.4 Mk3 Ibiza prior to my FR and I had 17" wheels on it, have to say the ride was a little firmer obviously but not to the point where it was uncomfortable and I didn't really notice any difference in the speed of the car, it was just slow all the time lol.

Carcrazy

You have chosen the right one pal.

The price range which you are quoting also seems right.

I dont think you will find any thing cheaper than this.

Jun 26, 2008
Sunderland

To be honest mate if i was to get new wheels i would stick with 14". not much point in noting anything to do with power on my car, handling is all im interested in at the moment hence coilovers and better tires. :D

You have chosen the right one pal.

The price range which you are quoting also seems right.

I dont think you will find any thing cheaper than this.

Cheers buddy, i'm just eager to get them on and see what ive been missing out on! just as well theyr'e the right price because i could only find one place that did them in my size.

Jun 26, 2008
Sunderland
Make a friend who can get them trade price ;) That is the cheapest way of doing it.

Luckily one of my pals dad owns a garage so get most things trade price and not to mention work done 'after hours'.

Yeah good point. My borther works in a garage but he couldn't get hold of any F1's in the right size. Ill get him to fit them for me for nowt though. :D

Jun 26, 2008
Sunderland
Got my new tires on today! In the wet. all i can say is a combination of the weather, crappy rear tires and sticky front ones is a fun but not particularly safe combination.

They're great in the wet and cant wait to try them out in the dry.

Also i would reccomend http://www.mytires.co.uk, cheap with quick and free delivery! :p

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise