how many bhp has your cupra 180 got??

vee_dub_modder

Volkswagen racing tech-pt
Feb 19, 2008
Midlands
Hi all, just a quick question to see what all you Leon cupra 180 owners are running at now and how you've gotten there? I want to see how far i can push mine with out going all out on a big turbo + uprated internals etc. (that'll come in a couple of years when she's all paid off :)

anywho's, i look forward to hearing from you all.

vee_dub_modder

Feb 19, 2008
Midlands
I want snow performance meth injection, inlet manifold + heat resisteant gasket thingy, hybrid ko3, tip, replace that stupid cast pipe at the bottom of the engine bay (boost pipe), cool running stat etc... and maybe just tart the bay up a bit.

I think that'll do untill the gt28 convession after I've paid her off lol.

want Big Brakes, new roll bars and some KW's at some point too... all in good time though! oh and wide track front end + carbon wings, bonnet & bumper lol.

its a long term project fortunately

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
would be interesting to see what you can get from a hybrid.

do you know what figure your running now? 240 odd? thats around the max figure the
k03s will manage

id like to see a dyno plot on a hybrid.

vee_dub_modder

Feb 19, 2008
Midlands
i'm going hybrid this summer as i have a friend in the right place to get it done cheap. will have to wait untill i've got some time off as i have to send the turbo off.

wana fit water/meth injection before then too.

i'll get before and after dyno plots also for anyone interested.

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
Im going to put a hybrid K04 on mine so should be good for over 300 not going that high though just want about 270-280, just need LCR mani, water and oil pipes and exhaust oh and the turbo.

Muffew

Jan 24, 2009
im going at about 230 on a cold day! i want near 300 though! 230 is just with an induction kit and remap!

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
so what sort of money are you talking for a bt conversion on a cupra lads? Was going to sell then car soon and try a new project but think ive spend so much time and money on it so far i would miss it to much and would love to have about 330 bhp and scare a lot of cars that would laugh when they pull up beside me (wouldnt laugh for long though :)). Plus got the missus tdi for the long journeys.

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
Mechanics' wisdom says it would be tough luck to get 230-240bhp at the engine flywheel from a K03"S", the best the local tuners on "race stage" got was a flat power curve with about 220bhp.

The record has been a Jetta GLi with 258hp at the wheels and about 290bhp at the flywheel, running 1.83bar and water/meth injection - while 1.7bar is the factory limit of the K03"S" and anything above is regarded as suicidal.

For the record, I'm running a remap with uprated SMIC, Forge DV006, Forge TIP, opened airbox, 3"downpipe, insulated pipe from turbo to IC, BKR7E plugs etc.. and the best I've got was in the 210bhp range, with a flat power curve starting from ~4500rpm. As you see, I'm directly interested to find any sort of trick to maximize performance on the stock turbocharger

~Nautilus

PS edited the message, found that Jetta GLi is a FWD, not a Haldex AWD

Last edited:

tris

The Daddy
Feb 25, 2005
Kent & Track Days
www.leoncupra.net
Its not all about how high the power is its how it comes in and to have a smooth power curve
When mine was 1st mapped it got 228bhp but the power did not come in smooth so was remapped to 223bhp now the other mods have been done it went beck to be done again where it now has 241bhp & 265lb ft

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Its not all about how high the power is its how it comes in and to have a smooth power curve
When mine was 1st mapped it got 228bhp but the power did not come in smooth so was remapped to 223bhp now the other mods have been done it went beck to be done again where it now has 241bhp & 265lb ft

so true! very important when looking at various turbo set ups. no point in hitting 300bhp if its all over in the blink of an eye. smooth sustained power rather than numbers is the key to a fast road car imo

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
so what sort of money are you talking for a bt conversion on a cupra lads? Was going to sell then car soon and try a new project but think ive spend so much time and money on it so far i would miss it to much and would love to have about 330 bhp and scare a lot of cars that would laugh when they pull up beside me (wouldnt laugh for long though :)). Plus got the missus tdi for the long journeys.

be worth ring round the tuners mate. 4-5k sounds about right+fmic on the road.

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
Cheers traumapat, yea had that sort of figure in my head. Get the house finished over next few months and then start searching for the deals lol (doing ok so far :)) and getting my hands dirty again! Wouldnt change it for the world :) :)

vee_dub_modder

Feb 19, 2008
Midlands
The record has been a Jetta GLi with 258hp at the rear wheels and about 290bhp at the flywheel, running 1.83bar and water/meth injection - while 1.7bar is the factory limit of the K03"S" and anything above is regarded as suicidal.

~Nautilus[/QUOTE]

i'm verging on suiside then... running 1.7 bar, fmic, recirc dv, turbo back stainless system with decat, chock off induction cone in the bumper with 1 peice alloy tube and water/met comith soon.

i just need a rolling road to see the figures
I want to go k03s hybrid next at cost of 400 notes fitting myself. then i need to see what if any improvements i get at that?

gotta fit engine mounts this weekend

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
Wont you have to replace the twin intercoolers though?

Cupra R - K04 turbo, 2 side intercoolers
Cupra - K03"S" turbo, 1 right-side intercooler

:)

Both Cupra R twin coolers and Cupra single cooler are a very poor design, thin core, plastic end tanks, fragile, little exposure to air (vented fender liner is a must).

~Nautilus

vee_dub_modder

Feb 19, 2008
Midlands
yep... oem coolers do suck. you can drill the arch liners and remove fogs for a bit more airflow but lets face it, a great big fmic and shiny samco's looks way better and performs better too :)

hybrid is on holdd for a couple of months as i need to replace discs and pads so may as well uprate calipers rotor etc whilst i'm there :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members