High Cf's on Gt2x

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
I think Dave run's his own home brew TIP, Danny.

Or did you mean the filter?

Last edited:

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
Mucho Appreacite Bill

ive been reading and reading for the last 2 hrs on here,Ed38,Vwvortex ect as im going to ditch my charge pipe seup and FMIC for something bigger...

Its seem ive got good temps but poor flow from the cooler..So going to get the same on as hooch as got on his vario....

Matt didnt mess with the timing so i really have a restriction somewhere and my money is on the small Cooler setup...As beattie and matt...Ran uprate pipe work BUT with a forge cooler...

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
Right ive just been for a normal drive around 7mins to my misses house

and came back now someone told me to go for a drive off boost which i did....And when i got home my inlet manifold was red hot....I was even hotter when i felt it a few days ago wen i was logging it...

Now Curzon had this problem hot inlet mani with his laguna setup on am04 and seen high cf's...Then he went with a A&M cooler and Dave_smiths Charge pipe setup and we did some major runs and his inlet was stone cold wasnt even warm after we've uprated the cooler....

what you think

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
driving off boost will have heated up from ambient heat under the bonnet plus heat transfer from the block.

Kicking the **** out of it at 120 on the motorway will have removed the ambient heat, and a far greater volume of cooler air will have been passing through it.

you've got far bigger problems than a toasty inlet I think :)

driving it off boost will be safer than on boost, in case the fuelling is off - so at least that's reasonable advice.

could you change the whole FMIC for a bit of pipe? just to see

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
driving off boost will have heated up from ambient heat under the bonnet plus heat transfer from the block.

Kicking the **** out of it at 120 on the motorway will have removed the ambient heat, and a far greater volume of cooler air will have been passing through it.

you've got far bigger problems than a toasty inlet I think :)

driving it off boost will be safer than on boost, in case the fuelling is off - so at least that's reasonable advice.

could you change the whole FMIC for a bit of pipe? just to see

yeah mork...But even when i was driving it hard Unknown to the cf's my inlet was uber hot!!!!

just taken my FMIC and Charge pipe off now and took the washer bottle of too for the small golf one to come...

How do you mean mork '' could i change the whole fmic for a bit of pipe....

But yeah the toasty inlet defo aint helping my cf's and When i looked at the flow rate and volume of the Forge one....I was shocked to see the Ths/uni one was just under half the size and half the flow rate...

the cooler is 65mm deep but the core is tiny and so are the end tanks....Unlike the forge cooler...Im sayin this as i have exact same bits for the map tht beattie BUT he had alot more bigger FMIC!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I meant that you could replace the whole FMIC with a straight bit of tube... to rule out the FMIC (or confirm) restrictions

clearly it'd do a **** job of cooling

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
Pointless now just Sold my Fmic setup and ordered my new one with new full bigger pipe work:D

Also ive got some 4month Ik22 spark plugs here aswell that i kept wen i was over fueling ages ago so bought these ngk but it turned out to be my lambda sensor...

should i put the ik22 back in as they aint that old?Plus there a cooler plug than the ngk ones....

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
O and this the size of a ibiza forge fmic

224d_1.jpg

and my uni fmic
Photo251.jpg

lol tiny eh!""

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
Should i re fit my Ik22 and get rid of the ngk ones as there a cooler plug?

Anyway Started mocking up my custom charge pipe with alloy madrell bends @ 63mm...

Im nearlly there with it tbh just a few miner adjustments but il do that when the cooler is Mounted and lined up...

The kits is really good quality with the decent jubliee clips that came with it...But the Couplers & elbows are crap like a rubber compound...So when i get paid il replace them with some nice sfs hoses...

Heres the charge pipe nearly Made up :D Just have to run a bend to the cooler entry then its done:
Photo255.jpg

Photo256.jpg

Photo257.jpg

The difference Between the the OEM charge pipe and the near one:
Photo258.jpg

Im looking in to doing my TB sent up aswell doing away the silicone and doing it in mandrell bends joined with the coupler...
Nearly finished this aswell as i had loads of pipe left over from the kit :D
Photo259.jpg

cupra_matt

Audi Technician
Dec 15, 2004
Carlisle
Just been talking to cupra_matt...He said his maf readings were around the 200 g/s mark...

Mines 153g/s at 6krpm odd....And the maf is re-scaled too..

I was wrong. I have been looking through the old posts mate, it was reading ~150 when i had it aswell, it also says i rang Jim and asked about this but he said that was normal as he had recalibrated the ECU for the larger MAF.

So in effect it is exactly the same as when i had it, although i never had such high CF's, i seem to remember seeing 3's max on all cylinders.

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
strange.... I don't think that's how you would do it if you had full control of the map..

I know... thats what i thought..

Im looking at my old Plugs Now and the tip is white/silver? Is that a indactor for it running lean?

Could i use lemmiwinks + fueling and then log it to see if the cfs go away..

i know i need a AFR gauge but there well expensive atm...

I knock the timing back -1.45degree and seen 0 cfs..notched it up a tad +.075 and im getting max of 6cf but the timing is still down from when it was mapped on Matts car...( i have All his old Bit)

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Using Lemmi to adjust and log is ok to get rid of cfs but no point touching the fuelling without wideband as you are just guessing. Max of 6 isnt too bad if its not pinking

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
Using Lemmi to adjust and log is ok to get rid of cfs but no point touching the fuelling without wideband as you are just guessing. Max of 6 isnt too bad if its not pinking

Thanks Pj :D

Bill mentioned use the +fueling and keep an eye on my plugs as a rough guide...

I know a AFR is on the list...But it was rapid before i turned it down...Just topend i was gettin cfs

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Thanks Pj :D

Bill mentioned use the +fueling and keep an eye on my plugs as a rough guide...

I know a AFR is on the list...But it was rapid before i turned it down...Just topend i was gettin cfs

More fuel is better than less for safety. Still doing it without any wideband monitoring is like playing stick the tail on the donkey. No local garage to you that has LM1 that you can pay an hour or twos labour to to do some logging with wideband and make some adjustments? Then again pay another £100 or so for the wideband yourself and have it forever to adjust to your hearts content.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.