Big commuters

holty

Inside a nice VAG
Sep 25, 2008
In the Hills
Thats true matey. I think the prices will rise & fall together , and will always be a similar gap between the two if that makes sense?
Only you truely know in your heart of hearts what you do.
Good luck either way. :)

Dave H

Mar 12, 2007
Perth, Scotland
ive played about with my spreadsheet and assuming diesel at £1.049 per litre and petrol at £0.899 per litre

a typical TDI car of 50mpg would only be matched (on total fuel spend for identical miles) with a PETROL car performing around 43mpg. A higher than 43mpg would be the plan.

If not accurate stats, certainly a good guide.. 12,000 miles would equate to approximately £1210 spent on fuel for a diesel50mpg and petrol43mpg

Last edited:

holty

Inside a nice VAG
Sep 25, 2008
In the Hills
....and driving a petrol getting 40 odd mpg would not be the most fun thing to do.
Is that even possible with a Cupra petrol :confused:
Good guide though Dave.

Dave H

Mar 12, 2007
Perth, Scotland
....and driving a petrol getting 40 odd mpg would not be the most fun thing to do.
Is that even possible with a Cupra petrol :confused:
Good guide though Dave.

hee hee, no chance with a cupra! i was more meaning getting yourself a different car with improved efficient petrol engine above 43mpg.
:funk: yeah babbby yeah! here we go for latest efficient diesel cars - interesting to see the not much improvement from 50mpg figures in my 2001 TDI! http://www.thegreencarwebsite.co.uk/blog/index.php/2008/10/16/diesel-is-greener-which-guide-advises/
fun comes at a price though :) how much do you want to play.

Last edited:

Dave H

Mar 12, 2007
Perth, Scotland
remember the capital investment in a diesel car is significantly higher than a petrol, so be sure to think about the extra £1000-2000 you are splashing out on a diesel model, and also how long you expect to keep it before buying a new one. Also note that the gap between petrol and diesel at the pump is ever increasing!!!! 2 years ago it was 5p difference, now it sits at 15p...... more and more diesel cars sold, the govt will tax it more...

which reminds me 2p is added to all fuel this Sunday, so get topping up :headhurt:

holty

Inside a nice VAG
Sep 25, 2008
In the Hills
I'd listen to Dave. He sounds like he knows his stuff ;)
Me? I'd go for some TDI fun/economy depending on your mood!

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
hee hee, no chance with a cupra! i was more meaning getting yourself a different car with improved efficient petrol engine above 43mpg.
:funk: yeah babbby yeah! here we go for latest efficient diesel cars - interesting to see the not much improvement from 50mpg figures in my 2001 TDI! http://www.thegreencarwebsite.co.uk/blog/index.php/2008/10/16/diesel-is-greener-which-guide-advises/
fun comes at a price though :) how much do you want to play.

I used to get about 26-27mpg on the LCR, and I get about 42-43mpg on the panzertank (320d). 'cos I'm a lazy sod, what would the pump-price differential have to be between UL and Diesel for the running costs to be equal?

Nickscape

I have the TDi 130 Leon - my commute to work (15miles) I do just over 50mpg, mainly dual carriageway but some country lanes. On a longer motorway drive if you do 70 you can get up to 65 mpg as long as your careful, for day to day driving I normally average between 55 & 60mpg..

sykesytdi

May 15, 2008
redditch
i wish all these petrol lcr owners would stop slating tdi"s..... i love my diesel and to be honest wouldnt dream of swapping it for a petrol version..... i get 40-45 round town and 55-60 on a long run

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
I commute over 35 miles each way, 70 miles a day 5 days a week in the LCR, derv is about 20p more just now and its never gonna be the same as an LCR!
Keep it! Always!

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
I would love an lcr, or a decent lc, but for the miles I do, the type of driving I do, and the fact I love to boot it (love that torque) it makes sense to buy the petrol. If you really want to get picky about the costs then you better factor in inflation :D. Haha.

If you can get a good price for the tdi, it makes the price you can get for the LCR less of an issue. Also, if you're building a kit car it's not like you need the LCR for fun is it?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise