1.9 tdi clutch are they the same 100-130bhp

james12

Apr 10, 2008
i want my car re mapped from its standard 100bhp to 130bhp, will that be ok with the 100bhp clutch, or are they the same for the cars with standard 130bhp fr's?

cheers

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
IIRC the 100 will not map to the point where it produces more torque than the standard clutch can cope with. If you go for a bigger turbo etc then IMO a new clutch would be needed, yes.

Owl

cheesy quaver
Aug 21, 2008
sheffield
im in the same boat james.... from a bit of research on forums and speaking to ppl who have mapped theirs, as long as its not an aggresive map you should be ok... customcode i have been told by a few ppl to be the better map, as ones like revo is abit aggressive and will most likeley slip clutch when booting low down.... or so ive been told

T. Spark

To answer all your questions,

The 1.9TDi engine in the Ibiza comes with 100bhp, 130bhp and 160bhp. Each one has the same clutch.

So for all of you PD100, you can remap your cars to near on 300lb.ft as per the PD130/PD160's.

So a normal phase one map, that gets you to around 240lb.ft will be fine, aslong as you dont slip the clutch.

basssound

May 31, 2007
Rotherham, South Yorkshire!
Let me give you a real answer, anything around the 300lb^ft will cause the clutch the slip even though you can't tell!
The pressure plate and friction plate simply can't handle the torque over a long period of time, peeps will say i've never had a problem ect, only boot it at 2.5k and above but in 5th and 6th you WILL get clutch slip which you can hear after several thousands of miles driving, simple as!
I'm an experienced mechanic and deal with problems like this all the time, if your remapping to 300lb^ft then save £500 and fit a performance cutch then you can hammer the torque at low RPM and know your safe, your not driving around thinking when is it gonna let slip lol!

james12

Apr 10, 2008
im only getting a tuning module from www.celoxperformance.com, suppose to increase up to 30bhp more and 70nm of torque for £35 worth a shot? reckons they can be fitted in 5 mins by unplugging a plug and adding it to the circuit.

anyone got any info on this kind of device and how it works? only for seat/skoda/vw/audi tdi engines it must be universal for the vag engine as there was no option to choose your car model as long as its vag tdi engine? the module must must go into a connection which all vag have?

advice welcome please guys.....£35 to good to be true?

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
To answer all your questions,

The 1.9TDi engine in the Ibiza comes with 100bhp, 130bhp and 160bhp. Each one has the same clutch.So for all of you PD100, you can remap your cars to near on 300lb.ft as per the PD130/PD160's.

You might want to check that out mate. TDI 100 engine code ATD and AXR has a pressure plate and drive disc of 228mm. PD130,150,160 has a 240mm clutch set up.

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
im only getting a tuning module from www.celoxperformance.com, suppose to increase up to 30bhp more and 70nm of torque for £35 worth a shot? reckons they can be fitted in 5 mins by unplugging a plug and adding it to the circuit.

anyone got any info on this kind of device and how it works? only for seat/skoda/vw/audi tdi engines it must be universal for the vag engine as there was no option to choose your car model as long as its vag tdi engine? the module must must go into a connection which all vag have?

advice welcome please guys.....£35 to good to be true?

Simple answer - yes. Expect to pay £200-£400 for a remap, the 'tuning modules' are usually just a cheap 10p resistor that fools your ECU and damages your engine in the long term.

T. Spark

Im not bothered about the odd mm here or there ;) Sure my bro's has the same clutch as mine, but oh well. stand corrected. Either way it can handle a few more torques, but not a silly resistor in a box mod :D

james12

Apr 10, 2008
ive been talking to the guys at celoxperformance about my concerns on the 'pd tuning module' this is what they said-

The Tuning Module works by altering the signal between the fuel temperature sensor and ECU. The ECU thinks that the temperature of the diesel is hotter than it actually is and adjusts the injector timing/boost/fuelling. It is impossible to damage the ECU as it is just altering the signal from the sensor to the ECU, the signal recieved by the ECU is well within the engine perimeters.
As the ECU controls the engine management recieving one signal from the pd tuning module it will then use this information to adjust the correct amount of fuel and boost.

to sum up all the tuning module is doing is replicating a certain engine scenario to which the engine has been designed to work with.

and if we were selling items which could damage your engine we would have been put out of business long ago!

25,000 units sold in 5 years.

what do you make of that guys? very in depth explation and they sound pretty decent company, my tuning module should come tomorrow! has anyone acutally tried one of these and it has damaged your engine? im not sure you have, i found a thread where someone had pd tuning on he said was great and only took it off coz someone told him it was bad without actually having used for themselves.

james12

Apr 10, 2008
have one, my bro also had one on his polo (think he paid about £50 for it on ebay)

both made a huge difference. fuel economy hasnt suffered either.

mine has 6 different maps on it, none of which are perfect but for the price it cost i cant complain considering a proper remap would cost 5-6 times as much as what my tuning box cost.

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
The ECU thinks that the temperature of the diesel is hotter than it actually is and adjusts the injector timing/boost/fuelling.

to sum up all the tuning module is doing is replicating a certain engine scenario to which the engine has been designed to work with.

Except the engine is designed to work when the ECU adjusts timing/boost/fuelling when the temperature actually is what the sensor thinks it is, not what the tuning box tells it after altering the signal.

Faking sensor readings isn't going to do your engine much good. The sensors show those readings for a reason. If they were really that good, wouldn't VAG spend a few pence on that resistor in the first place? ;)

Expect smoking, shortened turbo life, lumpy idle and general problems with your engine later on in it's life

Have a look here: http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/175170/1147486.aspx

Last edited:

james12

Apr 10, 2008
well got my pd tuning module from celox fitted it low down torque much more noticeable been on 30 mile drive expecting fuel gauge to down faster however it was just normal fuel useage...no more smoke from back and idle was smooth.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.