2002 model VIN digit?

amgtorre

I'm picking up my car next tuesday :cool:

I'll like to check the the VIN # to make sure it is a 2002 model.

On other VAG forums I read VIN digit number 10 should be a 2 on
2002 models.

I assume this is true for SEAT as well.

Can anyone confirm this ?

Is anyone aware of a SEAT VIN decoder available online ?
Here is a link to an Audi Vin decoder: http://www.geocities.com/hedgebert/vindecoder.html

I used this with my old 1994 VW VIN and it did try digit 10 to
id the model correctly as a 1994. The rest of the VIN was useless.

Thanks in advance!!!!

primekart

Your Cupra man in Israel!
Jun 30, 2001
Tel Aviv, Israel
www.geocities.com
Yes! no. 2 is the 2002 ear model in the VIN no.
here is your decoder-

vsszzz6Kz2R123456

vss - SEAT
zzz - place for a code for the U.S. regulations
6K - code for SEAT Ibiza
z - place for a code for the U.S. regulations
2 - year model
R123456 - no. of chassis begining from the start of the new year model (after ~ 1-6-2001)

amgtorre

Hey primekart! Thanks for your reply!!!
The 6K for Ibiza is 1M for the LEON :-D

I stopped by SEAT to get a VIN # from one of the cars in the showroom: VSSDF41M32R123456 (from a Leon 20VT Cloth seats, climatronic, & sunroof.)

There was another Leon with Leather seats and the 1M was something different (I did not remember what it was by the time I got to write it down :rolleyes: ).

Here is some more info I read here: http://home.planet.nl/~fransang/eurov.html

The first three characters will tell you the country where the car was built and the manufacturer.
Cars built in Spain will have a VIN beggining with: VS, VT, VU, VV, VW.
The third character is the manufacturer with an S meaning SEAT ...
Saludos,
Armando

Romeoisgraham

Mr Harris
Aug 14, 2007
On the run
public.fotki.com
Yes! no. 2 is the 2002 ear model in the VIN no.
here is your decoder-

vsszzz6Kz2R123456

vss - SEAT
zzz - place for a code for the U.S. regulations
6K - code for SEAT Ibiza
z - place for a code for the U.S. regulations
2 - year model
R123456 - no. of chassis begining from the start of the new year model (after ~ 1-6-2001)

Bit of a geezer aint you!!!

Never knew that, thanks.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The first three characters are a code indicating the origin of the vehicle i.e. where it's manufacturers headquarters are. VSS is interpreted as Europe-Spain-SEAT, but not all cars beginning VSS will have been assembled in Spain.

The letter in the chassis number, in position eleven of the VIN code, indicates the manufacturing plant, and for VW the list includes the following:

A Ingolstadt, Germany
B Brussels, Belgium
D Bratislave, Slovakia
E Emden, Germany
G Gratz, Germany
H Hannover, Germany
K Osnabrueck, Germany
M Mexico
N Neckarsulm, Germany, Mlada Boleslav
P Mosel
R Martorell, Spain
S Stuttgart, Germany
T Kvasiny
V Palmela, Portugal
W Wolfsburg, Germany
X Poznan
Y Pamplona, Spain
Pacheco, Argentina
1 Gyor
8 Vrchlabi

My Toledo's VIN starts VSS as you'd expect, but the chassis number is Bnnnnnn indicating manufacture in Brussels.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
dont forget as time before registration you could show a late 2001 car with a 2 chassis or a late 2002 with a 3

if you send me the number i can narrow it down to a month of build if you really need to know

we used to say the Z were to fill the gaps as chassis numbers are all 17 digits

the individual specs and model attributes are designated byt the spec sticker with short 3 digit codes on it - usually a sticker in boot and in service book and will show

chassis / model / engine / trans / spec
+ codes for all little design bits like abs/pas/leather/vehicle weights/disc size you name it called MSP code in the old etka but its the robots spec code on what to fit so can sometimes be useful but a real minefield to check through

Last edited:

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Model years from from July to June in VAG, so July reg'd cars should have next years number in the code. My July 04 car is MY05.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Model years from from July to June in VAG, so July reg'd cars should have next years number in the code. My July 04 car is MY05.

I think that you should mean cars built after the factory (summer) holiday period, when all rejigging takes place, are designated the next calender year cars. Unfortunately you can't rely on an August, September, October etc reg'd cars being the next years models as they could be old stock. That is why there are lots of "good deals" and "specials" being offered in August and September. By the way, I'd think that there will be at least 4>6production weeks missing while this is happening - they tend to run down full production in first half of June and ramp back up in second half of August. Ford on the other hand have been known to produce "1/2 year" models - but I think EU wide they have two shut down periods. You must be extremely lucky, I speced up a Passat and it was built just before the Emden plant shut down for the change over - it was delivered late May. My VW dealer was always ammazed that it was a Y chassis. Maybe this means that Seat's shut down period is before the German plants - could be! With the same reasoning, my wife's Polo was built and picked up in September 2002 and is a 3 chassis - the VW brochures for the 2003 models were only released in UK by VWUK in September - and it would be built in Spain - in a VW plant.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.