Just spent £271

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
You WILL get a swirl free finish by hand.
You will have to use a far more abbrasive polish by hand than you would have by machine.
As I said if money is tight and that is your main concern then it is possible for you to have just as shiney a car as someone with a polisher. You will be a stronger guy after it too.
If you read the post that I linked you would have seen proof that it can be done. If you want I can get a hold of a professional details guide to having a swirl free car by hand only.

I'm not desputing the FACT that a machine will polish a car 10 times faster but as you stated you only wanted to spend £200. I think this money would be better spent on the products rather than buying a kit that perhaps is not suitable for your top coat hardness.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Jamie what are you basing this on??

you will never get rid of swirl marks by hand...you need a proper polisher for it...hence all the pro's use a polisher

The pro's use what gets the job done quickly and efficently with cost not being the concern.
That is a very different case than someone with very limited funds wanting to get their car looking good

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polis...iars-g220-complete-meguiars-kit/prod_416.html

Why did you buy this instead or a rotary polisher with specific polishes for the hard topcoat which your car has. As said above you will find it more difficult to de swirl your car with the combo you have. Who did you get advice from when you bought this set up?
You are trying to pass on a kit that is not the best for Jamies car or Jamies budget.
£200 could be far better spent on good products

jamiebennett81

Jamie what are you basing this on??

you will never get rid of swirl marks by hand...you need a proper polisher for it...hence all the pro's use a polisher

The pro's use what gets the job done quickly and efficently with cost not being the concern.
That is a very different case than someone with very limited funds wanting to get their car looking good

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polis...iars-g220-complete-meguiars-kit/prod_416.html

Why did you buy this instead or a rotary polisher with specific polishes for the hard topcoat which your car has. As said above you will find it more difficult to de swirl your car with the combo you have. Who did you get advice from when you bought this set up?
You are trying to pass on a kit that is not the best for Jamies car or Jamies budget.
£200 could be far better spent on good products

each to their own is just my opinion, not disputing anything. I think in terms of easiness and results the polisher would still yield better results, purely based on whether you want to go through the pain of having to polish your car in the sense of getting rid of swirl or cob web marks by hand

sure enough, the same effect could be done by hand, but would you really want to? I sure wouldn't and it would take double if not triple the amount of time and effort to do so. Sure it can be done by hand, but why do it by hand when a machine can do it, and 99% of the time can do it ten times more effectively and efficiently?

no detailer is the same and we all like our own products, and no one is right or wrong on this thread

I passed my advice onto Junior as what I deemed best through my own personal experience, as you did yours. neither of us I would say are right or wrong, we just differ in opinion....but hey thats what this forum is all about isn't?

Might be a bit boring if we all thought the same and bought the same products:)

flakmunky

Olympic Knitting Champion
Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
do you not have to buy the converter though with the porter cable kit, because its from the US?

Yes you do - about £40 from Machine Mart although tbh you could hire them for about a fiver from HSS if your budget was really tight - its not as if you use a machine polisher every weekend - twice a year more like. You could always pick a tranny up for a tenner at a Car Booty.

Last edited:

flakmunky

Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
There is a new kit that is 240 v and much much better than the porter cable. this is available from www.polishedbliss.co.uk

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/meguiars-g220-dual-action-polishing-machine-polish.html
With the correct polishes it'll be a breeze

So why is it "much, much better"? Other than you don't need a transformer? Do you have one of these? I had read that it suffers from excessive vibration and the switch can be difficult to use - I'd be interested in whether that is the case? I would have gone for one if it had been out when I bought my PC :(

I stand by what I said, £150 for a kit including polishes and pads (which are v. good quality) is still cheap...

wayncast

I noticed on ebay you can buy polishers with the pads for about 40 note. brand of polisher is silverline but i can't find any reviews on the product. has anyone heard or even got one of these polishers?

oh also, If anyone is a bit anxious of polishing their car in the aberdeen region, I highly recommend polishedbliss.com. they're site explains all and the sevirce is magic, even if just advice is needed. :D

Afection2Detail

I noticed on ebay you can buy polishers with the pads for about 40 note. brand of polisher is silverline but i can't find any reviews on the product. has anyone heard or even got one of these polishers?

oh also, If anyone is a bit anxious of polishing their car in the aberdeen region, I highly recommend polishedbliss.com. they're site explains all and the sevirce is magic, even if just advice is needed. :D

You simply get what you pay for. They are fine for occasional use but you will find them noiser and vibrate a lot more. The main things you are after are an electronic speed control to stop the pad bogging down. I don't believe either of the silverline models currently offer this? The other thing you want is a wide speed range, from around 5-600 up to around 3000.

Daffy

Detail Wizard
May 29, 2007
You WILL get a swirl free finish by hand.
You will have to use a far more abbrasive polish by hand than you would have by machine.
As I said if money is tight and that is your main concern then it is possible for you to have just as shiney a car as someone with a polisher. You will be a stronger guy after it too.
If you read the post that I linked you would have seen proof that it can be done. If you want I can get a hold of a professional details guide to having a swirl free car by hand only.

I'm not desputing the FACT that a machine will polish a car 10 times faster but as you stated you only wanted to spend £200. I think this money would be better spent on the products rather than buying a kit that perhaps is not suitable for your top coat hardness.

Sorry to disagree but having read some of your posts in here and the linked thread you do talk some sense but there is a lot of sh1t mixed in with your comments and I am not sure where you have learnt this but it needs refining.
'Clay bar and polish will not remove wax' being my favourite. If it doesn't then how the hell is it going to get to the clearcoat underneath to remove the bonded contaminents or swirl marks.
The photos show nothing more than a slightly glossier finish and do not show any close up swirl removal under halogen lighting and there is no mention of paint depth readings to see what was actually removed. T-Cut has non diminishing abrasives so it will remove some more obvious marks but leave you with a nicely marred finished and continue to damage your paint as they never breakdown. So the more you rub the more fine marks you will inflict.
It can be done by hand but only really on cars with very soft paint or very fine marring marks, French, Japanese and USA cars and using the right products such as Scratch X. If you tried to do a regular Joe's car you would be here until eternity trying to do VAG paint by hand properly is a no go. It just depends on what standard you are trying to achieve some of us have higher standards than others. You could make a difference but by hand but it is in no way comparable to a machine polish. I originally thought that Ovni yellow had no clearcoat and that was what was causing the fading. The Megs polisher is very good but is no better than a pc the main benefit being the fact that it runs directly on 240v and means no need for a tranny.
Please can you post up this professional detailers guide to hand polishing as all the ones I know use machines and I would be interested to read it.

jamiebennett81

Sorry to disagree but having read some of your posts in here and the linked thread you do talk some sense but there is a lot of sh1t mixed in with your comments and I am not sure where you have learnt this but it needs refining.
'Clay bar and polish will not remove wax' being my favourite. If it doesn't then how the hell is it going to get to the clearcoat underneath to remove the bonded contaminents or swirl marks.
The photos show nothing more than a slightly glossier finish and do not show any close up swirl removal under halogen lighting and there is no mention of paint depth readings to see what was actually removed. T-Cut has non diminishing abrasives so it will remove some more obvious marks but leave you with a nicely marred finished and continue to damage your paint as they never breakdown. So the more you rub the more fine marks you will inflict.
It can be done by hand but only really on cars with very soft paint or very fine marring marks, French, Japanese and USA cars and using the right products such as Scratch X. If you tried to do a regular Joe's car you would be here until eternity trying to do VAG paint by hand properly is a no go. It just depends on what standard you are trying to achieve some of us have higher standards than others. You could make a difference but by hand but it is in no way comparable to a machine polish. I originally thought that Ovni yellow had no clearcoat and that was what was causing the fading. The Megs polisher is very good but is no better than a pc the main benefit being the fact that it runs directly on 240v and means no need for a tranny.
Please can you post up this professional detailers guide to hand polishing as all the ones I know use machines and I would be interested to read it.

some interesting points daffy, and something I have ehoed before, that pro's use machine polishers as the results achieved are far superior and its near impossible to remove swirl marks etc through hand

if it was, like you have mentioned, then why have I not read any guides using for example meguiars grade polishes by hand...

Afection2Detail

Just to chime in again quickly, I generally prefer a rotary over a PC because it has been shown that you can get a crisper finish via rotary if used correctly.

Yes there are parts that have to be done by hand if you cant get a machine in there and these are a right pain as they take quite a bit of time. It may be possible to do the whole car by hand, but what will the finish be like?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Daffy why you being an arse on this thread, if you've got concerns about my knowledge why not PM me, what are you trying to achieve by this??
I will not reply to YOUR ideas as by your signature you probably do this as a job and don't want to harm any future buisness you might get on here.
I find you post quite rambling and you seem to be confusing what I have said, please be a man and delete your post for this section and we'll PM about this.
I have taken all my advise for professional detailers that do this day in day out and charge £30 per hour for this service. My comments can be linked directly to guides in www.detailingworld.co.uk. If anyone wants proper advise I suggest you look it up. If you want I'll post links to the guides on detailing by hand.

flakmunky

Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
Calm down, Ladies! :)

JrSnr, please post the guides you mention in your last couple of posts as I really would like to know how to remove swirls by hand!

I don't think Daffy is being an ar$e - he says you are mostly talking sense but that you are wrong on a couple of things, thats all. I admit he could have chosen a better turn of phrase ;)

BTW I'm still waiting for your opinion on why the Megs polisher is 'much better' than a PC other than it doesn't need a tranny!

Last edited:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland

Afection2Detail

Tbh everything can be removed by hand. It comes down to time and finish. Its gonna take a lot longer and you can normally get a crisper finish via rotary.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise