Orange Peel Paint Effect

mach4

Oct 23, 2006
I understand a perfect mirror finish can not be achieved with modern water based paints, particularly in the Black Magic, but is anyone else seeing an optical (as opposed to a surface) orange peel effect on their paintwork - particularly at an angle on the rear quarters. Other MK2 Leons seem to exhibit this to a lesser or greater effect - mine seems to be the latter - is this normal?

langy

Aug 9, 2006
My 06 ref Sport has a slight orange peel effect and the colour is Black magic. I think it's one of those things you have to live with. Just get it filthy dirty, out of site, out of mind :D

We have now encountrered this quite badly on the bonnet of my other halfs 54 plate 1.2 Mk4 Ibiza, which is now out of 3 yr warranty.

It was noticed by the car valeter who mopped and polished the car a couple of weeks ago and we can see it quite a lot. We wondered if it was due to heat from the engine as the 1.2 12V has not heat insulation/sound deadening under the bonnet. We spoke with the dealer and we were told it is very unlikey to be heat and they said the paint falls under the 3yr warranty only. What is the anti perforation warranty and these and does this link to the paint?

Were gunna take the car to the dealer (Bournemouth SEAT) later in the week for them to take a look, but may call another dealer for a second opinion.

Any thoughts or help appreciated!

Thanks

Ryan

TheLunchCrasher

I was not impressed when my new Leon arrived, but it is a company car and I don't really care

H8T WP

wont wet sanding me taking the lacquer off ?? or is it done using an ultra fine grit...

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
It does take some off and I generally don't do it if the paints thin. You really need a paint thickness gauge before attempting that level.

If you work slow and take your time on scratches you can make them disappear.

The sandpaper is very fine and soaked in water/shampoo to soften if. You also use this as a lube.

Last edited:

leviathan18

Jan 30, 2007
Venezuela, Caracas
to wet sand a car you must be a pro, i wouldnt recommend it to anyone that doesnt know what is doing

you can achieve a mirror finish with orange peel but you have to use quality products

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
to wet sand a car you must be a pro, i wouldnt recommend it to anyone that doesnt know what is doing

you can achieve a mirror finish with orange peel but you have to use quality products

Hence why I mentioned the PTG.

As you say, time and good products can also look great.

Any one got any pics of this?

Pics of wet sanding?

Did you see my link above?

Al

Aug 29, 2005
The paint finish on my Cupra is very much like this and not anywhere like as well finished as it probably should be.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.