turbo dilemma!!

themutmonty

Hi All,
My 1.9 TDI PD (100bhp) ibiza has developed what i can only assume is an intermittant turbo.
I was driving on the motorway (doing 75-80), put my foot down to over take, only to watch the rev counter struggle to move,:shrug: and consequently no power!:cry:I'm assuming this is the safe/limp mode of the engine, as once i got home (finally), turned the engine off - then on again the problem seemed to go.
can anyone decipher what these symptoms might point towards?
is this an early sign that the turbo is on its way? :doh:

All help is much apreciated!!

Thanks

Phill.

Nathanio

May 26, 2005
West Sussex
www.w1pcs.co.uk
could have blown a pipe. When I first picked up my other Tolly TDI it blew the vac sensor pipe I think it was and it had exactly the same symptoms. Garage reattached and away I went

T. Spark

Im with glynnd on this one.

Might aswell look at the cheaper options first, such as MAP/MAF sensor's and so on.

A blown pipe wouldnt fix itself if it had popped off, nor the sensor.

If it randomly boosts or goes into limp mode, then poss. a sensor.

Worst case, is the vanes are sticking on the turbo, which means low end boost will start to go when you give it some, intime it will get worst and finally just be knackered!

I might have a PD130 turbo for sale soon ;)

themutmonty

thanks for all your comments.
It happened again today. On the motorway, heading up a slight incline, then down on to a flat stretch and no power, probably more than a coincidence that it was the same stretch of motorway that it happened before!
Its had a new vacuum control unit, all hoses have been tested and mass air flow meter cleaned. previous fault code was 17964.
does this shed any more light on the subject?

your help is greatly apreciated.

Phill.

TornadoRed

Aug 22, 2004
Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA
Its had a new vacuum control unit, all hoses have been tested and mass air flow meter cleaned. previous fault code was 17964.
does this shed any more light on the subject?

Check out the turbo actuator (sometimes called a VNT actuator), to see if it's sticky. If so it can be freed up or replaced without the need for a new turbo.

themutmonty

Nathanio: Does it go into limp mode and then require restarting to clear?

yes, once the car is turned off then restarted its fine until it happens again?

themutmonty

Exactly what happened to mine

What did you have to do to put it right? it is so annoying, i'm having to turn the engine off, coast for a while then turn the engine back on again!

thanks

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise