Never owned a diesel

gazman

Aug 5, 2006
Lancashire
Me again with another newbie question

In 27 years of driving and 15 cars I've never owned a diesel nor know much about their maintenance

(Yep I'm over 40 as well :redface:)

Now got the TDi 130 Sport

Always heard the term "Oil burners" for diesels

Do they use a lot of oil as standard/how much oil per miles, and which oil should I buy

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
I don't recall my old or current Ibiza burning much oil, so you don't have to worry too much. As to which oil you should buy, then you need something that conforms to the VW505.01 specification or you will damage your engine.

"Oil burners"

This term refers to "heavy oil" which is what the fuel is on your V5 Diesel is actually the name of the compression ignition engine named after the inventor Rudolph Diesel. This started out as an idea to design an engine that would burn coal dust, there a bit of the basics for you have a look on wikipeda there is a whole wealth of knowledge.......

Brilliant question tho i did have a chuckel to my self :lol:

Morg

I use the Comma Performance VAG 505.01 at £30 for 5 litres it isnt cheap, but worth it :)

pauliepaul

stop making my car dirty
Aug 19, 2007
cornwall
i keep checking my oil but it always stays in the 'i'm cool' zone for ages. just enjoy dumping smoke on people once you've overtaken them it's a pleasure

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.