Derv owners

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
There are a couple of people on here run their car on used oil from resteraunts and stuff using a machine that refines it to biodiesel. :)

But I'm happy running mines on the usual Shell Diesel Extra - runs well and economical on the car, and done the same on my Toledo so all is well.

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
I don't think you can run the PD engines on Bio-diesel

I think it depends on your engine code - you can tell buy the numbers/letters in your engine code.

I think you can run like 5 litres of it with a full tank of diesel or something. No point in using it basically. :lol:

BP Ultimate for me! :D

Jayt

Oct 5, 2007
the problem with the pd engines is the diesel gets cooled before it runs back to the tank, it might be away from the tank im not sure, but the 100% biodiesel has to be heated to make it nice a thin to go through the injectors correctly, and you can see the problem i'm sure.

you can get fancy kits and set ups that allow you to use it in a pd but just at the minute i dont think it makes financial sense for me anyways to convert.. and my unlce owns 2 chippers..

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Don't confuse Biodiesel with straight vegetable oil (SVO). Biodiesel is refined vegetable oil with the same (or similar) characteristics as dino diesel. Vegetable oil is just vegetable oil.

Manufacturers don't allow 100% Biodiesel due to inconsistencies in refining. Too many variables due to people brewing their own, too high a concentration of Glycerol, etc. means that 5% is all most manufacturers allow. By 2010, all diesel is to be 5% Biodiesel in Europe, though most of it already is in France I believe, and quite a lot over here aswell. If Biodiesel production could be guaranteed consistently then a higher percentage could be run, even up to 100%. There's also some issues with oil contamination to consider but that's another story.

SVO on the other hand, needs a 2 tank system with inbuilt heaters etc. to work properly, as the heat makes the oil less viscous and easier for the fuel system to cope with. It's this that the PD engine has a major issue with due to the (roundabout) 29000psi injection pressures. The oil just doesn't squirt through the injectors because it's too thick, even with the heater system, and damage results. Same with commonrail diesels, but not quite such a high pressure. The older rotary pump diesels (non pd for example) will cope with the 2 tank system, and even with just SVO mixed with a small amount of thinning agent without the heater. Petrol, white spirit, kerosene etc. are the common ones.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise