• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Coolent change!

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
im thinking about doing a coolent change on my 1.2, any one have any idea how hard the system is to bleed on these? also any one know if they use red or blue coolent or if it matters?

Ric 2001

Need an ID-ten-T form
When I went to VW to get my coolant they said that they where phasing out the G12 and just using G12+.

System is easy to bleed. Raise car and there is a tap on the passenger side of the car. When you turn it it pops out and the gushes out onto the floor. Then you'll see a pipe running across you to the rad, squeeze this to get the last bit out.

Ric 2001

Need an ID-ten-T form
Get under the car. Look at your rad. You'll see your inlet (drivers side), and outlet (passenger side) follow the outlet side and there will be a big black valve/tap. Then you'll wonder....... :think: what does this do :confused:

Then once turned what the coolant splash eveything (including you) and stick to high heaven of what I can only describe as a fishy smell.

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
do you need the bumper off for this? as Im sure I have a plastic bottom under the rad

i know on my 1.2 to remove the plasitic its on torx screws and it just slides off. im going to attempt mine on friday hopefully. ill try get pics up!

Ric 2001

Need an ID-ten-T form
do you need the bumper off for this? as Im sure I have a plastic bottom under the rad

Hell No!!!

Just stand the car on the driver side higher up than the passengers, to help drain.

Bucket would be good to to catch the coolant, also hose pipe in the coolant holder will help to clean out the pipes while running the engine for a couple of mins. But thats optional.

As st10587 says just remove the under tray.