TDI tyre choice - commuters choice

Mackers

Part Man, Part Metal
May 17, 2007
Bangor. N.Wales
i too am after tyres 225/40*18 a full set as they are worn, currently running my standard 15's :(:( any idea's as to where'll do Falken 452's cheap??

Fishy

May 16, 2005
Why limit it to Falkens? Toyo's are much better in both wet and dry.

Fish

Dave H

Mar 12, 2007
Perth, Scotland
seems the thread is talking about performance tyres as opposed to commute tyres. For those who are doing medium to high motorway miles, i dont particularly see the benefit in soft compound tyres. driving in relative straight lines do not require sport performance tyres.

There are hundreds of tyres on the market and it always seem to be the same sport performance tyres mentioned as in every other thread.... comes tricky to identify a tyre that is more on the economical performance than a sport performance when searching the forum.

cardaft

Apr 21, 2007
I find the premium contacts very good, although they wear quickly IMO, although ive got an arosa tdi so your size might have a different tread.

Last edited:

jtmac

seems the thread is talking about performance tyres as opposed to commute tyres. For those who are doing medium to high motorway miles, i dont particularly see the benefit in soft compound tyres. driving in relative straight lines do not require sport performance tyres.

There are hundreds of tyres on the market and it always seem to be the same sport performance tyres mentioned as in every other thread.... comes tricky to identify a tyre that is more on the economical performance than a sport performance when searching the forum.

I agree, maybe I'm in a minority, but provided I can start, stop and turn corners I'm not too bothered about any more grip than that, There are two things I want from a tire - fuel economy and lo-----------ng life. I have just put Michelin E3As (205 55 16 91V at £90 each fitted) on the rear after getting 38000 miles out of the original Brigdestone Turanzas (right down to wear indicator on passenger side, :redface::whistle:). I went with the Michelins after magazine and online reviews but couldn't find many forum reviews for them.

I'll keep an eye on the MPG to see if I can spot any improvement but it is winter so I am expecting a drop in MPG anyway. On wear I'll have to report back in 18 months (unless they are terrible).

Would have liked to pay less for them but wanted to get them done in a hurry so didn't shop around that much. Also would have liked to have rim protection. I think it makes a tyre and rim look better, nevermind, as long they get me more miles I don't mind.

Oh, one more thing, I'm not going down this road to be a greenie, Just a tightarse.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.