Tyre Pressure Monitor + new Wheels

AN06DRW

Now You SEAT Now You Dont
Sep 19, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Does anyone know about the tyre pressure monitor and what happens if you fit aftermarket rims? i'm thinking about getting bigger wheels but dont want the dash lit up like an xmas tree

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
It works off the ABS sensors, so as long as all the wheels/tyres are the same size you can do what you want.

Paul_W

Jul 23, 2006
Rutland
It works off the ABS sensors, so as long as all the wheels/tyres are the same size you can do what you want.

I'm not too sure about that. The other day I checked my pressures at the garage. Had to top all of them up a bit. I got back into the car and as soon as I'd turned the key the pressure light was on. It had detected the change in pressures before the car had even moved.

ents

Jan 12, 2007
Tallinn - Estonia
The sensor is strapped to the inside of the rim with a metal band. ie the sensor is inside the tyre. Get new rims and you'd have to get the sensors moved.

Are you sure? As said - Leons monitors tyre pressure from ABS sensors. There shouldn' be any metal band inside the rim (this is the older system)

Fishy

May 16, 2005
Had mine go off when I had a puncture, but didnt tell me they had lost pressure over time!

Fish

Trident

This keeps popping up:
Here is how the system works, on the Leon:

Indirect TPMS is an addition to the wheel speed sensors used as a component of the Antilock Brake System (ABS). A decrease in tyre pressure will lead to a decrease in the wheel’s radius; this means it will rotate faster compared to the other tyres and the speed sensors detect this change.

This system has the major advantage that it is much cheaper to implement and quicker to introduce onto new vehicles, but has major disadvantages due to the fact that it cannot detect a slow and equal decrease in pressure on every tyre. The system also needs to be calibrated more frequently, which could be a difficulty for users.

There is another system - but it is too expensive to fit on most cars. This is where there is a radio transmitter fitted inside the rim, which reports pressure and temp to the cars computers.

Paul_W

Jul 23, 2006
Rutland
There is another system - but it is too expensive to fit on most cars. This is where there is a radio transmitter fitted inside the rim, which reports pressure and temp to the cars computers.

That's the system that's fitted to the Peugeot 407. Dad had a tyre on his changed a few weeks ago. The fitter showed him the sensor. Since the tyre change he keeps getting an error popping up saying that the pressures aren't being monitored. Apparently it has to go to Peugeot to be reset.

May 13, 2007
was told by dealer that there needs to be a major drop in pressure to activate sensors fitted 19s and had to have sensers reset ( i belive you have to drive straight at about 10mph whilst pressing down the button on console } chris

ents

Jan 12, 2007
Tallinn - Estonia
That's the system that's fitted to the Peugeot 407. Dad had a tyre on his changed a few weeks ago. The fitter showed him the sensor. Since the tyre change he keeps getting an error popping up saying that the pressures aren't being monitored. Apparently it has to go to Peugeot to be reset.

Yep. My old 2001 Pug 607 had the same system.

pr0ton

May 28, 2006
Interesting post. So basically I should only reset the sensors if something has changed on the car like put new wheels/tyres on?

The salesman told me to reset them everytime I got in the car, but I never did believe a word they told me...

New wheels or tyres or if you checked the pressures and had to fill them up a bit, etc.
i think you cannot trust that system 100% and should check the pressures after every 1000-2000 km's or so. Just to be sure.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members