Eagle f1's and snow

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
Just thought i'd ask the question. What do the gsd3's perform like in snow?

I had a bad experience last winter when i had some P zero's on which nearly resulted in a front ender. Where i live is very hilly and prone to getting a good covering of snow over the winter months. Looking at the tread pattern on the eagles they look like they will be awful in the white stuff. Am i wrong?

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
In one word - Rubbish! When temperatures drop to single figures, I would say they are 60% less efficient.
The only summer tyre that I have had experience with that is any good in winter are the Uniroyal Rainsport 1s.

Last edited:

TallFella

Hello Tom, come down Tom
Nov 6, 2003
Bedfordshiria
Visit site

I had a bad experience last winter when i had some P zero's on which nearly resulted in a front ender. Where i live is very hilly and prone to getting a good covering of snow over the winter months. Looking at the tread pattern on the eagles they look like they will be awful in the white stuff. Am i wrong?

Unless you put winter tyres on during the winter months they're all a bit of a muchness in my humble onion. I've got F1's on mine and on the day we had proper snow last year I was one of the few people who made it into work (even one of the women who has a Ford Ranger didn't come in), and I had to drive up and down a pretty steep hill, and around some twisties.

If you drive according to conditions, you should be ok. Just remember, they're "performance" tyres, and not snow tyres. You wouldn't drive with spikes on, on a summers day...

Al

Aug 29, 2005

Absolute crap. My car was the only vehicle that could not make it up a slight incline in the snow, and buses, cars, vans, even a sports bike managed.

I actually went out and bought some steelies and winter tyres they were that bad.

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
Absolute crap. My car was the only vehicle that could not make it up a slight incline in the snow, and buses, cars, vans, even a sports bike managed.

I actually went out and bought some steelies and winter tyres they were that bad.

Right thats made my mind up then. I'll take the wifes Micra to work if there's even a hint of snow. My main problem is i have to go down a 1 in 9 gradient to get home :( it wasn't much fun sledging down in LC last year using the kerb as a brake.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Right thats made my mind up then. I'll take the wifes Micra to work if there's even a hint of snow. My main problem is i have to go down a 1 in 9 gradient to get home :( it wasn't much fun sledging down in LC last year using the kerb as a brake.

good plan, micra parts are cheap at scrappies anyway.

plus on a more serious note - the tyres will probably be better.

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
On auction sites, you will probably find loads of 15" VW Golf Mk4 alloys that will be good for fitting winter tyres. I managed to get a set of 16" steels for my Bora last year for £40!

Correction - I don't think 15" will fit due to the size of the Leon's front brake discs. 16" is safer.

Last edited:

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
Yeah, the cheap wheel idea is a good one. Although the 145 tyres on other halfs micra should grip nicely.

However. If i do go and buy some winter wheels, it will give us all the gaurantee
of having absolutely NO snow at all. Lol

Im unlucky like that :D

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
Get some snow chains :)

Dont know if it's just me. but i can actually remember seeing cars driving around on snow chains. I was a young kid at the time mind. That was in the good old days when it snowed bucket loads and didn't turn into rain a few hours later.

Ahh. The good ole days. Lol.

james_tiger_woo

VW Passat B6 2.0 TDi SE
Jun 19, 2007
Lincolnshire
Dont know if it's just me. but i can actually remember seeing cars driving around on snow chains. I was a young kid at the time mind. That was in the good old days when it snowed bucket loads and didn't turn into rain a few hours later.

Ahh. The good ole days. Lol.

Christ man, you're probably as old as me (I remember that too!)

tonipieleanu

I don't how bad winter is in your country but if you have constant snow and cold weather (negative temperatures) you should get a set o winter tyres.
A couple of years back winter caught me by suprise and I was on summer tyres (17" F1's) and hardly managed to get in a few places in town.

Be very carrefull, 225 summer tyres and snow don't mix at all.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
In a word pish
Just bought Michelin Alpin PA2's £175 each fitted
Cheaper than fixing car after crash;)
Couldn't get anywhere with car, Proper PITA

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members