low temp readings

Mar 10, 2005
Walton on Thames
does anyone sometimes get a low reading on the coolant temp guage?

For the first couple of years ownership the temp guage used to sit on 90 all day long and never budge. Its there most of the time but sometimes it shows a low reading which seems wierd..

for example last night, I had been driving for over an hour so engine fully warmed up etc and I had a spirited uphill drive with an evo 7 and pulsar gti-r, afterwards I glanced at my guages, and the coolant temp was showing as just over 60 (the needle was barely raised) although the outside temp was only 6 degrees I would have expected it to be at 90.

I stopped for petrol and when I set off again the needle rose to 90

Also most mornings I get the 3 beeps and flashing red light.

Does it sound like I need to replace the coolant bottle (i think it has a sensor built into it)?

Cheers guys

Cupra_G

185bhp/230ftlb
Mar 7, 2006
ayrshire
s62.photobucket.com
I have noticed on a few occasions when its a cold and I'm giving it some the gauge drops a bit, not to 60 though! As soon as you slow down or pull over it creeps back to bang on 90! Ive never been too concerned as a mates does it as well! I would panic if it went above 90!

Mar 10, 2005
Walton on Thames
I would panic if it went above 90!

that was last month lol but sorted that. Every month there's a new little problem to put right!

My driver window switch is onl its last legs too...bloody car drives me mad but i love her really haha the smile comes back on my face when I pass all these pulsars and evos tho lol

merlin051

Oil Burner!
Aug 22, 2006
North East, Darlington
If its flashing and beeping, check your coolant level (put a bit extra in)

The sensor that is used for the temp reading isnt on the coolant bottle, so replacing the bottle will have no effect :)

Cupra_G

185bhp/230ftlb
Mar 7, 2006
ayrshire
s62.photobucket.com
that was last month lol but sorted that. Every month there's a new little problem to put right!

My driver window switch is onl its last legs too...bloody car drives me mad but i love her really haha the smile comes back on my face when I pass all these pulsars and evos tho lol

My drivers window swith is on its road out as well lol! Until it packs in completely It'll stay that way!

GeorgeF

VW Tech
May 21, 2007
Essex
my temp drops to sometimes. takes for eva to get hot to some days if it sits outside at night and its really cold

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.