• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Brake pads - guide

Danthechippy

Sep 30, 2007
Ely, Cambs
Do you need a special tool to wind the pistons in on the calipers, I'm thinking more about the brembos for myself but applies for all within this thread really?

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
Its only the rears you need the wind back tool!

DO NOT BUY THE OMP's!!!!
I cooked them on one heavy breaking manouver! The faded without being used more than once!

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
but using one on the fronts is a hell of alot easier than not using one.
stuff005.jpg

Danthechippy

Sep 30, 2007
Ely, Cambs
Cheers buddy, just thinking out loud really! Thanks for the advice on the omp's had seen them on ebay and had crossed my mind, need to change all mine soon. Was thinking about ebc stuff but not sure which colour to go for, might go for their discs at the same time? is wind back tool expensive?

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
think my laser one was circa 15 quid.and worth its weight in gold,done about 5 cars with it so far.so it's paid for itself.

Danthechippy

Sep 30, 2007
Ely, Cambs
Cool, didn't realise it was a standard one like you've put up, remember someone saying it had 2 pins in it as the piston had to twist in? I take your word for it just explaining my initial post!

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
Cool, didn't realise it was a standard one like you've put up, remember someone saying it had 2 pins in it as the piston had to twist in? I take your word for it just explaining my initial post!

you can see the pins on the picture,the other side has some but they dgo inside the hollow front piston. the rear piston has dimples in to locate in the wind back tool,so that it will turn as you wind it back,just make sure you free up the piston rubber boot before you start,as you don't want that twisting as it can rip the rubber.

NickT

Mar 29, 2004
LB, Beds
Just fitted my mates turbo in Starlet GT, so thaught take a chance. with fitting new brakes
Decided to go all out. Rear - standad disk and pads. Front - upgraded - drilled/foved disk and pads.

Quick question before i begin maxing my card.
I dont know what thickness the disc need to be :confused:
Are the front and rear the same thickness?
I have a Leon 1.8T sports.

The front discs on my 01 LC (well it's an LC according to all the rear badges but the log book states Leon 1.8T sports, pretty sure they're the same animal from what I've read on here) are 312 x 25mm Vented.
I believe the rears are 232 x 9mm Solid.
A search should throw up a shed load of info on this and if in doubt just whip the wheels of and measure 'em!

STEVEO@CYMRU

Lucky 7
Oct 19, 2003
CAERPHILLY S.WALES
Visit site
this aint so bad a job, done my fronts not more than 2 months ago i took loads of pics on my phone to remind me where the bits went etc , fitted ebc grooved and red stuff pads and braided hoses... first time i've done my own brakes

NickT

Mar 29, 2004
LB, Beds
Well, if you've read this complete thread, links and all, all you should have an idea that it's not quite that straight forward, the Passatworld link in Big Lads post #6 is pretty good.
Of course this is for a Leon so not sure how much applies to a Beeza, you'll get a better response from the Ibiza forum I guess.

Seat til I die

Lap Record Holder
Oct 14, 2007
fell at the last hurdle. (not in fitting but pad choice)

needed pads badly at this point (less then 500 miles left on worn pads) so last thing i wanted to do was score the discs.
decided ds2500 front, premier back. found ds2500 fronts on internet for £90, thought fine. except would have taken up to 14 days delivery!!
went to midlands performance, they wanted £110+vat for the fronts alone!
thought F that.
bought premiers front and back, £47 in all. happy

Ran around for a little while, premiers seemed fine. Nice and tight.
Gave them 2-300 miles before giving them a real test. Oh dear. Found them to be quite 'squiggly' in a straight line braking from 70-20.
Bit of a shame.

Oh well, discs will need replacing by the time I need new pads again so will go all out then, DS2500 fronts with Brembo grooved discs me thinks...

FReidiboy

Jun 25, 2007
Campbeltown
Shyte!!!!!

Where will I get me one of those?????

I was planning changing my disks and pads myself when I was at work later today!

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Shyte!!!!!

Where will I get me one of those?????

I was planning changing my disks and pads myself when I was at work later today!

You can pick the wind back tool up in Halfords if one is nearby.
If not, you can order them on the net etc..

FReidiboy

Jun 25, 2007
Campbeltown
Is there any other way in which I can do this without one?

I desparately need to change the brakes.

ps. I live 120 miles away from my nearest halfrauds :(!!!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise