Stuttering on choke

smiff

Jun 14, 2006
stoke on trent
As title realy when im starting up from cold im getting stuttering but only when im sat their warming my lc up i have cleaned the maf and throtle body and reset everything im unsure if its a coil pack as it only happens when first starting :shrug:

stewbie55

No longer a Newbie
Aug 12, 2006
I've been getting something similar myself the last couple of weeks and its gradually getting worse.

When starting from cold it stutters for a few seconds, I even need to give it a bit of throttle now before the choke kicks in and it idles at 1200 rpm. Is this what you're getting?

As the car runs fine afterwards I was also thinking it wasn't a coilpack but not sure what it is. It's almost like the choke is late kicking in but not sure how that applies to a modern ECU controlled car. :shrug:

I'll probably get JKM to look at it when my car goes in for the diff to be fitted but would be good to get a heads up on this.

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
As title realy when im starting up from cold im getting stuttering but only when im sat their warming my lc up i have cleaned the maf and throtle body and reset everything im unsure if its a coil pack as it only happens when first starting :shrug:

did you do a tb reset via vag? scanned for any faults?

smiff

Jun 14, 2006
stoke on trent
I did the tb reset just by removing the battery for 30mins while i was cleaning all the bits and puting it back together. A couple of times it has done it and it sounded like the dumpvalve was dumping preasure back in to the system i would get a quick sutter and then a dumping sound i didnt think the turbo would kick out anything with revs as low as 1200rpm

Jul 29, 2006
cumbria
www.facebook.com
Not sure but the only way to do a tb reset is through vag-com,i was under impression that it was done when you dis-connect battery but that only clears the ECU...... I think:shrug:

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
disconnecting the battery for more than 30 mins iirc also does a tb reset when you re-connect it

dre

I had the exact same problem a few months back - rough idling when cold. This only got worse with time, eventualy CEL came on and the car ran really rough. Turns out it was an ignition coil - I replaced the failed one, disconnected battery for 10 mins, reconnected and all roughness dissapered. :)
Has been fine ever since.

Hope this helps.

smiff

Jun 14, 2006
stoke on trent
Looks like it might be my turn for a coil pack to drop out then my lc is in for a gear box oil change on saturday so it might be a good idea to have it vagcomed at the same time thanks everybody:D

stewbie55

No longer a Newbie
Aug 12, 2006
Reckon mine might be a coil pack now.

Starting this morning had a slight mis-fire even after I pulled away. Also had rough start up coming home this evening which hasn't happened before.

If I could get my e-bay vag-com lead to work I'd try and hook it up and try to work out which one it is that's sh*gged.

Is there any easy way to determine which one it is without resorting to trial and error?