Tyres on Cupra TDI: Yoko Parada or Goodyear F1 GSD-3?

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
Yes I've searched but I'm keen to hear about any owner's opinions of either of these two specific tyres :help:

I'm badly in need of new tyres for my turbo-tractor (aka the Ibiza) - a slight issue with the alignment has knackered my front tyres completely, although they've been needing replaced since I got it 4 weeks ago. Currently running Pirelli P Zero's but I'm not impressed with them.

I'm looking for 215/40/17s and can get my hands on Yokohama Parada's or Goodyear F1 GSD-3s at a very good price (a lot less then other brands).

I'm tempted by the Parada's - heard quite a few reviews saying they're just about as good as the F1s but last a bit longer.

Has anyone had any experience of either tyre, or can make any suggestions? Tyres other than the 2 I've mentioned will cost me more but if they're worth it then I don't mind spending a little bit more (although not too much as my tax is also up this month...)

Cheers
Ally

Mikey_H

258.7BHP 39?ft/lb
Feb 15, 2007
Buckingham
Hi mate i havent had any experience with either of them but i am running toyo t1s's and they are great got them for £207 for 4 and before then my car was spinning into 4th now it will only spin in 3rd if i'm turning or if its wet so i would say for the money they are pretty good

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
If you want to use your car in the wet then go for the GSD3's. The Yokos are next to useless in anything but bone dry conditions.

Yella Beeza

Now which way?
Jun 4, 2007
Edinburgh
I might add that the GSD3s are about £25 more expensive than the Toyos a corner. Personally the Toyos are a bargain for what you pay.

Gertie

Oct 30, 2006
Oldham
don't know about the pradas but the FR TDI is currently on a set of GSD3's
which i bought because they are cracking rain tyres and i've no complaints
so far :D

Poverty

Yep the Eagle F1's are crackers in the wet and dry. Used to have loads of wheelspin action when my car had dunlop sp sports but now I havent had one incident of wheelspin wet or dry. :D

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
GSD3's are the best tyre i've tried by far.

Paradas are good in the dry but apparently not great in the wet but they are a lot cheaper than the goodyears.

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
Cheers for the comments, pretty much what I was expecting to hear regarding the Goodyears and the Paradas. I could actually get either tyre in the size I was after for very similar prices (£2/per tyre difference).

But I’ve Just ordered 4 x Goodyear F1s in 215/40/17

Can't complain at the price (trade contact), from reading reviews they seem to a better all-rounder than the Yoko's, particularly in the wet. Although the Yoko's might have a slight edge in the dry and on track, I'd rather have a tyre that's better in the wet...

CUP-RACING

Feb 13, 2007
yeah agree with the standard p-zeros they are absolutely rubbish. I couldn't pull away with out them wheelspinning, and when giving it the beans it would spin in the first 3 gears. they also lasted 9000 miles which is taking the pee slightly. I decided to opt for avon zz3 which have the same tread pattern as eagle f1s and it has transformed the car. It now grips firmly when planting it and I get only a slight squeak of wheelspin. I have now done 3000 miles on them and they still look like new. at £45 each fitted they are a bargain.

Phil_beeza

May 15, 2007
i went from 195/55/r14 factory-fitted rubber, to 215/40/r17 parada 2 tyres. my main thing is mpg went from 46 ave to 43 (poss due to the bigger alloys) , but as tyres go they seem to be reasonable. been running them for about 3 months/2,000 miles.

on my next change i intend to go for the same size but gds3's
the parada's seem to be ok in the wet, but can only compare once ive done both

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
Dammit, my father-in-law's fallen out with the bloke who's garage he usually borrows to fit tyres, so mine are currently sitting unfitted LOL.

Anyone know CHEAP places to get tyres fitted around the Falkirk/Stirling/West Lothian area?!

mgrays

Dec 9, 2006
Aberdeen
GY F1 ... are not very clever in the ice .. like completely useless and park your car up useless.:cry: They are however the best wet weather and compromise dry tyre .. I have used them for years now but I have just got more of those horrible P Zeros (dead at 14k and really dead at 17k).. these have "snipes" on the pattern that allow for snow/ice progress where the F1's do not .. the P Zeros are cheapish, maybe more comfortable and keep the tyres the same (goint to sell in a year or two and I do love to see a full set of good name tyres on a car..). I live in Aberdeen so snow is a given for at least a couple of days .. meantime I will continue with F1's for my summer car... Pirellis generally are poor in the wet and the P Zeros do not show much hope .. but as a motorway consumable they work!

T1 a little noisier compared to F1 but not far off the wet performance; ultimately F1 were better.

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
^Useful post mate, cheers.

I've found most so-called high performance tyres absolutely crap in the snow/ice. My previous car (Civic Type R) had Bridgestone Potenza RE040's: great dry-weather tyre, useless in the wet, and lethal in the snow. I'm used to driving in snow too (live in the braes behind Falkirk - think Harthill but closer to Falkirk!) and was forced to abandon my car at the foot of the hill and walk home. Whereas people in "normal" cars with "normal" tyres were on the whole getting up it fine.

Best all-round tyre I've personally used were the Uniroyal Rainsport 1's I fitted to my Clio: good in the dry, outstanding in the wet, quiet and I did 10k on them and they still had life left in them when I sold the car. No memories of them in the snow though! Unfortunately I couldn't get them as cheap as I got my F1's - money talks (plus I'm a typical Scot LOL).

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members